Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I have posted this several times over the years. It might not be 100% actuate but it is close and IMHO is still very valuable. It also answers your question.
It isn't accurate, and respectfully you should correct it if you are going to continue posting it.

Also, my "question" was designed to establish a point, a point that was apparently missed.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Actually both light and water are not listed... without those 2 elements, nothing happens except death...
Actually light and water are not elements.

Quote:
One thing that is for sure in my area is that no cell elongation in the leaves have taken place in the past several weeks,,, so N hasn't been valuable in that area(how about the rest of the plant)...
So you assume because you have not "observed" growth that N is not being utilized by the plant.

Quote:
I still say that the roots in a lawn could not use even a 1/4 pound of N/k during the past weeks, let alone applying it several weeks ago and not getting response until now...

I expect that cool season grasses are able to continue to extract nutrients from the soil well after the first frost, but I suspect there is a soil temperature cut-off point for doing so... In fact I wouldn't be surprised that the 2weeks of 'response time' + about 4 weeks of active growing that 1 pound/k of N gets used up during September and another 1/2 pound/k applied on Oct. 1st might also get used up, in spite of CenroWisco grinding to a halt...

And you have reached these conclusions how? Experimentation? "Observation"?

Quote:
Anyways, it would be nice if that Turf Association mentioned the soil temps and accessability to N... AND... what are the chances of the roots actively growing again once the ground freezes in the Fall even IF it thaws again for Indian Summer???
"Anyways", that information is available if you would bother to look for it. Instead all we get is more wild theories instead of accurate information.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would like the Wisconsinite Turf Association to address my observations and ideas... It has taken some time but so far "New Research" is beginning to confirm what I've believed all along...

The New Research article form OSU involving the "Benefits of Late Fall Fertilization" has gone a long way to describing the effects of cultural practices, but the ability for LCOs to understand the implications, seem to be lacking...

Therefore intelligent discussion is in order to help us all assimililate the information rather than simply regurgitate the wording of something that was read some where...
Building thoughtful ideas and forming meaningful concepts, that relate to the Real World Experiences are what is needed... but I see we are back in the lowlife communications of ridiculing individual sentences that have not been understood, because 2 or more ideas/thoughts were put together in 1 paragraph...

I could go back to elementary explanations addressing what wasactually said but that is the distraction and derailment of the train of thought that is desired by the verbal bullies, so it is easier to just walk away laughing...
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
It isn't accurate, and respectfully you should correct it if you are going to continue posting it.

Also, my "question" was designed to establish a point, a point that was apparently missed.
Kiril

Please feel free to make any corrections you feel are Necessary with my blessing. I am in old guy mode and no longer as sharp as I once was.

If fact about a year ago I read a paper on Redox Potential and didn't understand a word the author was saying. Then I looked to see who wrote the paper, I wrote the paper 10 years ago. Remember I am 72 yr old now and the only thing Organic in my brain is Organic Brain Syndrome.

Happy Thanksgiving

Smallaxe

I list the elements that make water at the very top of my list, which are Hydrogen and Oxygen. I also List Carbon which is the common bonding agent of all Organic matter.

Think Green

You missed the obvious clue. This is a 5 cent question.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Therefore intelligent discussion is in order to help us all assimililate the information rather than simply regurgitate the wording of something that was read some where...
Building thoughtful ideas and forming meaningful concepts, that relate to the Real World Experiences are what is needed... but I see we are back in the lowlife communications of ridiculing individual sentences that have not been understood, because 2 or more ideas/thoughts were put together in 1 paragraph...
But you see Axe, we aren't getting thoughtful intelligent discussion from you, and the accurate information you do present (or "regurgitate") is done so without understanding. Therefore you might try holding yourself to your own standards for once.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Kiril

Please feel free to make any corrections you feel are Necessary with my blessing. I am in old guy mode and no longer as sharp as I once was.
Appreciate the go ahead, but to save time I will just post some links and let the readers sort it out.

http://neo.edu/Portals/4/Faculty%20S.../NUTRIENTS.pdf

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/...ntialPlant.htm

http://landresources.montana.edu/NM/Modules/Module9.pdf

http://www.ncagr.gov/agronomi/pdffiles/essnutr.pdf
Old 11-21-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
... Smallaxe

I list the elements that make water at the very top of my list, which are Hydrogen and Oxygen. I also List Carbon which is the common bonding agent of all Organic matter.

Think Green

You missed the obvious clue. This is a 5 cent question.

OK, my 2 cents worth,,, wasn't worth a nickel... I give up...

What the the 17th element...
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
OK, my 2 cents worth,,, wasn't worth a nickel... I give up...

What the the 17th element...
A man with a nickels worth of sense wouldn't have to ask that question.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can't believe I allowed myself to fall for Ric's tricks.
Below my post RIC......obviously not by better judgement I said--Nickel, Selenium,etc. as a secondary answer instead of iodine.
The answer is NI--Nickel.

The 5 cent answer!!!
Funny to say the least because when you are looking for an answer it is right before you!

Nickel is a key component of selected enzymes involved in N metabolism and biological N fixation. Plants suffering from Ni deficiency show necrosis initiating from the tip of the leaf.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
I can't believe I allowed myself to fall for Ric's tricks. Below my post RIC......obviously not by better judgement I said--Nickel, Selenium,etc. as a secondary answer instead of iodine.
The answer is NI--Nickel.

The 5 cent answer!!!
Funny to say the least because when you are looking for an answer it is right before you!

Nickel is a key component of selected enzymes involved in N metabolism and biological N fixation. Plants suffering from Ni deficiency show necrosis initiating from the tip of the leaf.
Not the first time by any means.