Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Cut View Post
very true... the 2004 is a 4.6 not the 5.4
How about the 02? 5.4 or 4.6?

Next question is if you plan to use a trailer or are you going to work out of the back of your truck? If you're working out of the back of your truck, you'll really appreciate that 8' box. Not that it really matters much, the 04 still has a failing transmission. For me, that would automatically(har-har) knock it out of the running.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Take the 04. Half the miles and all around solid truck. I have an 05 with the 4.2 I have logged 15,000 since the first of April, so far no maintenance issues.

The worry about plug snapping were early production (99 was most common year) 5.4 which have been remedied. The 4.6 is a great engine, with care will last a long long time.

The 02 sounds decent enough too. I had a 98 what was a running beast, 4.6 with speed 2 wheeled drive, it was totaled out by a deer running into it and 55 MPH.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bautieri View Post
How about the 02? 5.4 or 4.6?

Next question is if you plan to use a trailer or are you going to work out of the back of your truck? If you're working out of the back of your truck, you'll really appreciate that 8' box. Not that it really matters much, the 04 still has a failing transmission. For me, that would automatically(har-har) knock it out of the running.
hahahaha... yea very true... no i have a trailer ill be buying.. i've owned multiple trucks cars etc. went bankrupct last year that's why im starting out slow etc. (i didn;t go bankrupct doing landscaping lol) went bankrupct because i was living well beyond my means and when my insurance agent cut my comission scale by half... well i went under pretty fast.

the 02 has the smaller v8 im pretty positive, im suppose to go look at it this weekend... i have a guy for the 2004 that will rebuild the trans for $1400... not sure which one to buy honestly lol.

02 has 200k+
04 has 117k but failing trans
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
Take the 04. Half the miles and all around solid truck. I have an 05 with the 4.2 I have logged 15,000 since the first of April, so far no maintenance issues.

The worry about plug snapping were early production (99 was most common year) 5.4 which have been remedied. The 4.6 is a great engine, with care will last a long long time.

The 02 sounds decent enough too. I had a 98 what was a running beast, 4.6 with speed 2 wheeled drive, it was totaled out by a deer running into it and 55 MPH.
OUCH!! i hit a deer about 60-65 with my tundra couple years back and it did $2100 in damage...

yea dealing with my dad is the only down side ha. right now im suppose to buy his truck sunday or monday if i decide between the two im worried hell retract his truck at the last minute
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That isn't bad a price to fix the transmission. I am not a huge fan of short box pickups. However, with a trailer, it would be livable.

I'd take the 04. If your dad reneges on the offer, take a second look at the 02. But it is an 11 year old pickup with 230K miles... That is a lot of miles, not sure how long it would last you before an engine wears out, blows up or other little things nickel and dime you.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
That isn't bad a price to fix the transmission. I am not a huge fan of short box pickups. However, with a trailer, it would be livable.

I'd take the 04. If your dad reneges on the offer, take a second look at the 02. But it is an 11 year old pickup with 230K miles... That is a lot of miles, not sure how long it would last you before an engine wears out, blows up or other little things nickel and dime you.
That's why i'm not over the top about the 02... but I really hope my dad doesnt pull back the offer for his truck... we will see this weekend.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Make on offer to your dad and as you said it just may help mend the relationship. Good luck and stay cool if your dad doesn't want to deal.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Make on offer to your dad and as you said it just may help mend the relationship. Good luck and stay cool if your dad doesn't want to deal.
I'm suppose to look at cars for him tonight... he wants to sell the truck and replace it with a van or car due to grandkids... so well see what happens. he wants to sell the truck but hasnt sold it with people offering more than he's selling it to me for... so hopefully he sees me trying to help him out and help myself out too.