Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kubota Diesel Problems

Toro Z Master. Kubota D902 engine. 25XXX Hours. Turns over, but will not start. New fuel filters, full tank of fuel. I took it to the dealer. According to them..........

Compression is good. We tried to see if it would start on starting fluid to point at fuel system. Wouldnt start. They replaced all 3 injectors ($680) and it ran. I picked it up today, and mowed for about 25 minutes, the machine bogged down while on a SLIGHT incline, then turned off. Wont start again. Now its back in the shop. My question is. Do injector pumps work half azzed? I always thought they either work or they dont. The fuel lines were cleaned when injectors were done. Im kinda pissed off that I paid $680 for injectors and I am back where I started. Any ideas? Air filter is clean, and compression is good.....so it must not be getting fuel right? Help! Im going nuts.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

could it be sucking air?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think so. They bled the lines when they did the injectors. Maybe a rubber fuel line has a hole? But its not leaking diesel anywhere. Too bad there isnt an OBD2 port!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
Toro Z Master. Kubota D902 engine. 25XXX Hours. Turns over, but will not start. New fuel filters, full tank of fuel. I took it to the dealer. According to them..........

Compression is good. We tried to see if it would start on starting fluid to point at fuel system. Wouldnt start. They replaced all 3 injectors ($680) and it ran. I picked it up today, and mowed for about 25 minutes, the machine bogged down while on a SLIGHT incline, then turned off. Wont start again. Now its back in the shop. My question is. Do injector pumps work half azzed? I always thought they either work or they dont. The fuel lines were cleaned when injectors were done. Im kinda pissed off that I paid $680 for injectors and I am back where I started. Any ideas? Air filter is clean, and compression is good.....so it must not be getting fuel right? Help! Im going nuts.

Coupla thoughts: 1. NEVER use ether, on asian diesels. The piston tops are just too thin, to take the knock.

2. The # 1 problem I have seen, in years of experience, is the wrong fuel. gas mixed with diesel, water mixed with fuel, clogged diesel filters, too much Diesel 911 ( alcohol fuel drier) mixed with diesel. Go back to basics, if it isn't getting enough fuel, at the right time, check to see if it is getting too much, like a bleed off line back to the tank clogged, of crimped, if it has one.

3. As the dealer has repaired it once, he should fix his mistake!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The dealer is a very good dealer. I am confident that he will fix it, and the price will be adjusted, thats why I took it back. I know never use ether, but once in its life it wont kill it. The machine does have return lines. The fuel is good. There is no fuel additives in the tank. It also has a tank switch (left tank right tank and off). Maybe those lines are messed up. My guess is that is the next area to diagnose. So if it is a return line clog youre saying the engine would be getting too much fuel correct?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, too much fuel, in the case of a clogged return line. Another thought, does it have electronic fuel shut of switch, on the pump, I've seen these bad, too. Same with electronic tank switches.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im not sure about the electronic fuel shutoff switch on the pump. The fuel tank switch is a manual toggle. I am curious to see what this issue is. I have a total of 3 Diesel Z Masters. This is the first one I bought at 25XXX Hrs...the other 2 are juuuuust at 1000 hrs. Im good with the maintenance intervals on all filters and oil.....im just curious as to what it is. It just stinks, because all my other machines got powerwashed, fluids changed and theyre stowed for winter.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
This is the first one I bought at 25XXX Hrs...
Just curious. Twice you posted 25xxx hours. Do this machine have 25,000 hours on it?

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It really does sound like it could be a fuel shut off. Ive had my fuel shut off switch go bad. Does it have a mechanical fuel pump or electronic?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Just curious. Twice you posted 25xxx hours. Do this machine have 25,000 hours on it?
LOL Give me a few more seasons. 2500 hours. not 25,000.