Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulching kit or a push mower would work fine for that situation....but im not equiping myself for just that customer. Another reason why I told her to take a hike!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

P.R. is a huge part of this business...if they like you as a person and you make the effort to really get to know them as much as possible as well as communicating regularly about their property you will stop a lot of the pita from happening..im in 25 yrs now and can tell you anyone can learn and succeed at this business. (its not rocket science) but most are hung up on the latest and greatest equipment/trucks/ect...while that is important it is also just as important to make your clients trust and like you....some of what we do has nothing to do with their landscape...examples are:bring trash cans up from street (if they are empty)..roll up garden hoses (not just go around them) bring toys /treats for their dogs (make sure its ok first) holiday cards and small gifts..helping to bring in groceries/or other items if you see a client doing so...buying fundraiser stuff from their kids(if asked) i know we all have to be extremely time consious but these things come back to you in a big way...we have clients give us huge bonuses at the holidays...as well as our crew members...this all said we DO NOT TOLERATE disrespectful,unrealistic,and slow payers....we will drop them if the numbers dont work....we have clients that have become close friends...we go to their family cookouts,weddings,graduations ect...
Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunton Guy View Post
Mulching kit or a push mower would work fine for that situation....but im not equiping myself for just that customer. Another reason why I told her to take a hike!
I'm sorry, but i think you have the wrong attitude. If you aren't able to do the job right with your equpment, and don't want to purchase the right tools for the job you shouldn't take it on. You shouldn't have the attitude she can take a hike, it's not her fault that she want a good job on her yard. If you wreaked your truck, and took it to a guy to put a fender on and he did, but didn't paint it because he only had sand paper and no spray gun to paint it and didn't want to buy on either woundn't you be mad? Same thing with the grass, you either need to work watering into your price, or only do seeding at the appropriate time when nature can water it enough and the weather isn't really hot.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once you invest in a mulching kit you can use it to get other properties too.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We mulch most everything.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Good firings.