Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Isn't the "system" great?

Had a similar case here in MI several years back. Professional UA collector. Worked for me for 6 weeks (coincidentally) WALKED off the job. As in self-terminated, quit, gone, bye-bye without saying a word to me. I finally got a hold of him and he said I had "yelled" at him. I had gone to a job site and shown him the weeds he was missing. An hour later he was gone.

He filed and said he wasn't performing the work I had hired him for (applications) I provided paperwork showing he had done apps for 4 of the 6 weeks and the rest been spraying weeds in beds, etc. and they gave it to him.

Not sure if he knew someone on the UA board or what. I was some kinda pissed.

So, the moral of the story, depending on the situation, it doesn't matter what documentation you do or don't have. Especially when the UA board is populated by idiots.
Very sad, but in many states and many situations, very true. Obviously you want to keep your documentation and if you feel strongly about the former employee not being able to collect, you contest.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

And everyone gets pissed when a company hires H2B workers.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 AM

This is not meant to be a political statement or a social statement in any way. I am just speaking on what I know, what I have experienced and what I see here at LawnSite and other business owners I speak to....

Times have changed. People do not work as hard as they used to. They do not want to work unless they are over-compensated. It is more and more difficult to find hard-working employees now than ever before.

If people in general are going to get upset that you are hiring hispanic labor, tough. It's your business and you are in business to make money. You have to do what is best for you and your business.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most employers/entrepreneurs do not understand Unemployment insurance and how it works. Different states have different parameters.

In many cases you can't do anything to keep them from collecting, even if you do contest or give information on the truth of the matter, they still collect.

Oh well, why are so many people angry about this. It's a system, you participate in it.

Sure does that guy hire on with you only to try to get himself fired so he can collect? yea maybe, but how it works is, he can only do this so long, if he doesn't have enough paid in, he no longer collects.

Obama-ism has changed and prolonged that for years. But it's coming to a stop. The days of extensions being a thing of the past are neigh.

Once that happens, people with attitudes and seeking to get fired will disappear as they HAVe to work to get paid. It's coming, be patient.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen it go both ways and this is my experience from talking with friends, other business owners, employees, etc.

I will say large business like a Publix, Home Depot, or whatever seem to do this much better than small time business owners. They also have a human resource dept where people are working full time on this specific issue and know how to 'play the game'
Old 11-24-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I have seen it go both ways and this is my experience from talking with friends, other business owners, employees, etc.

I will say large business like a Publix, Home Depot, or whatever seem to do this much better than small time business owners. They also have a human resource dept where people are working full time on this specific issue and know how to 'play the game'
I know a guy who worked for a large national company, very large corporation with not only a human resource department but a large legal department as well. They did everything to cover their bases. He was fired for theft, the company filed a police report and he was charged with theft and credit card fraud. He pled guilty to the charges. The state still allowed him to collect for 18 months.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

And why do you think this is what you should do?

What are companies like yourself, and other companies you are giving this advice to going to gain from this wisdom?

Revenge?

The state will follow whatever guide lines it has, and as I previously stated, more than likely, if the former employee has a pool from which to draw bennies, he has a good chance he will get it.

If the state needs your input they inform you and you fill out your information and send it back.

After that? SO what? Get back to work, stop wasting time and energy, better spent on your business than tracking down some wastrel and feeding your senseless (and fruitless vendetta).

Calm down, down worry about what that loser or the state is doing, take a breath.

If anything, focus more on your hiring standards and what you can do to a) prevent yourself from hiring goons like that and b) how to attract better workers.

Now thats time and effort worth investing.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hire him back and only put him on the schedule for 1 day a week. Then once he quits, he cant collect.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post
Hire him back and only put him on the schedule for 1 day a week. Then once he quits, he cant collect.
Not sure about where you are, but here, if you drastically cut an employees hours they can file for the difference. Doing this effects the employers unemployment rate the same as if he fired the employee.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenI.A. View Post
I know a guy who worked for a large national company, very large corporation with not only a human resource department but a large legal department as well. They did everything to cover their bases. He was fired for theft, the company filed a police report and he was charged with theft and credit card fraud. He pled guilty to the charges. The state still allowed him to collect for 18 months.
Yep, this depends on the state. For my 9-5 Corporate job, I work in Corporate Security / Loss Prevention and we deal with stuff like this on a regular basis. This is why we get a written statement of admission from the employees after their verbal admission during our interviews. Our HR dept gets a copy of the statement for the employees file so if or when they file for UE benefits, they can provide the UE office with the employees written statement of admission to theft/fraud/etc. In most cases, this usually results in a denied claim.

I had a guy a couple years ago who stole from multiple stores in multiple jurisdictions so we were charging him in 5 different counties and/or municipalities. This guy stole almost $50k worth of stuff. He applied for UE benefits and it ended up going through multiple appeals even after providing his admission statement and copies of the video footage of him stealing. Eventually they denied it, but I felt sorry for the HR person who had to deal with the process and attend all the meetings.