Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the info kirk. how did you make your blog? i've used wordpress at some point, but it doesn't work very well with godaddy hosting.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Does it make sense to run the blog directly from your business website?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used Tumblr to make my blog. Its free to use. You can make it part of your website if you are really good at website programming and design. If not, you will have better seo results using a site like tumblr
Old 11-24-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuttingHedge View Post
Does it make sense to run the blog directly from your business website?
YES! Make sure the blog is part of your site- not on a separate domain.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Kirk !!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkmbrown2001 View Post
I used Tumblr to make my blog. Its free to use. You can make it part of your website if you are really good at website programming and design. If not, you will have better seo results using a site like tumblr
This is like saying if you can't add content to your site, then you are better off posting it here and linking it to your site.

You are better off having content on your own site rather than a link from content you have put elsewhere.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One thing people should watch out for is the trap of easily burying your own site's rank under a pile of outside links and citations. Is having your business site 4 pages deep in Google Search, but all of these extraneous sites above you, in your best interest? If so, some refinement of approach to get your own site to page 1 might be in order. By this I mean, do what Google keeps repeating: Produce good content on your site. I guarantee this will be significantly more beneficial to your site's rank than Tweeting (screaming into the Grand Canyon) or posting status updates on Facebook (screaming at a much smaller group than you think).
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I just typed in lawn care and the city I live in by name in the google search engine. I could not find a listing with an actual website until I got to the 10th page. The first 10 pages were business listing pages like yahoo, manta, yellow pages, hot frog, yext, and every other business listing page you can think of and these lawn care companies on googles first 10 pages did not even have a website just a business listing page. One company was on there at least 2 times on every page.The number 1 slot on the very first page was a facebook business page for a lawn care company. What????
I cant believe my city wide competiton doesn't even have a website and are 10 plus pages in front of me.
I am beefing up my content "all natural" and saying a prayer then I will wait a week to check the google search engine again I can only take so much.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen@freedom View Post
I am beefing up my content "all natural" and saying a prayer then I will wait a week to check the google search engine again I can only take so much.
You are setting yourself up for perpetual disappointment if you view elevating your business in the search results as a sprint and not a marathon. Go back to one of your comments in this post and remember "I can see this will be a lengthy process, but I have all winter.".

Take the Winter to do things right and, based on the searches I just ran, I don't think you'll have any problem. I only had a minute to look tonight, but my knee-jerk reaction is that the reason you see so many static-filled results is that you live in a very small market with what appears to be no companies taking a serious web marketing attempt. That is your advantage, so if you haven't already, create your Google+/Places/Yahoo & Bing Locals/Facebook pages, register with Google Webmaster Tools (and submit a site map), follow the advice in this forum to optimize your site, and write good, keyword-rich content.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

will do Tony I have been working on content, and have registered on most of most of the listings you mentioned will finish that list this week. I do need to consider those without a serious web site a plus for me and also what I saw going in that it will take awhile. Thanks for the advice now off to take care of some leaf jobs.