Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

To work for someone else or not, when you first started out?

I am just starting out and have only a few consistent customers. I am having a battle with myself about whether I should work for the company I currently work for now in the upcoming spring or not? I have the funds to support myself (no kids/wife) for a while.
My question is this to you all- if you had the option to take a class(es)for bus. Management or horticulture(as an example) and devote the rest of your time to marketing and expanding your own company, would you suffer the lack of income in order to have all the extra time grow your bussiness? If it didn't work out, I would obviously go back to working for someone else until I got enough business to work for myself full time.

I'd like to hear your thoughts ! Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You've got "nothing" to lose it seems. No wife or kids so if you screw up it's just on you. Might make you more focused........

I have only a part time business but I have kids and a wife. I would love to grow this business but the risks of losing my shirt by quitting my job makes me think twice. If I had no ties it would be a total go.

I think the business classes would probably be the most important to start. I would say it's safe to say that there are a good amount of successful landscapers with zero horticultural education. But they probably make the effort to get some knowledge along the way or just hire those who do. I also feel I learned a lot by working for a friend of mine. Such as how to do some of the work, what it costs to run, how to profit, etc.... Ya know what, he worked for someone else before he went out on his own. Kinda paying the dues I guess.

Good luck in your venture!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Member

To work for someone else or not, when you first started out?

My suggestion would be to build your business paying cash for all your equipment while working for someone else. Once you reach a point where you are absolutely maxed out all the time in a day and doing it consistently you make the jump. Now make sure you crunch the numbers before doing so. What this will do as it did for me is allow you to hand select GOOD customers without having that feeling of having to take on all customers to survive. You will know when the time is right, then make the jump.

It absolutely is less stressful without having a wife and kids. :-)

Good luck
Old 11-24-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I would take the classes while working for the other company, and when I knew that I could run my own business is when I would start working for myself. It doesn't make sense to start your own business unless you can fully devote your time and energy to it.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
You've got "nothing" to lose it seems. No wife or kids so if you screw up it's just on you. Might make you more focused........

I have only a part time business but I have kids and a wife. I would love to grow this business but the risks of losing my shirt by quitting my job makes me think twice. If I had no ties it would be a total go.

I think the business classes would probably be the most important to start. I would say it's safe to say that there are a good amount of successful landscapers with zero horticultural education. But they probably make the effort to get some knowledge along the way or just hire those who do. I also feel I learned a lot by working for a friend of mine. Such as how to do some of the work, what it costs to run, how to profit, etc.... Ya know what, he worked for someone else before he went out on his own. Kinda paying the dues I guess.

Good luck in your venture!
The business classes would be most useful....horticulture is important just will set you apart from the guys who don't have that knowledge.
You can learn a lot from working for others also...be upfront and maybe tell yourboss that you'd like to have your own business eventually.

I say get a spray license or irrigators license...youll make more per hour and have more opportunity.

Best of luck.
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me