Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TML Grounds Care (York County, ME)

I'm new to the site. I worked for 10+/- years for 2 large and successful landscape companies and became a crew leader and job foreman prior to getting out of the business for a more stable job w/ benefits after college. I have lost most of my overtime in my full time job and have a taken interest again in the landscape/lawn business.

Instead of buying "toys" I have reacquired a good deal of equipment for my own house always buying what I used to be familiar w/ and making sure it was commercial grade. My only downfall in equipment is my mower, which is a 2010 JD x300 42", it is not a box store model but not a full out commercial grade either. I did take out the safety feature that cuts the mower out whenever you get off the seat and shuts the blades down whenever you go in reverse, which helps w/ productivity. Good engine, weak tranny, and not a ZTR, although I can bang out a 3pt turn pretty quick as I remember doing on a Walker.

All of my side work has been seasonal clean-ups, planting, mulching, shrub pruning. I really want to tap into the weekly mowing to establish some form of "steady" income, if such a thing exists.

I'm going to hold off on upgrading the mower until if and when I can get a handful of decent accounts. I live and work in coastal York County, which is probably the prime area for this state, yet like most places on every street there is a 3500 series diesel truck w/ Walkers on a landscape trailer. Walkers seem to be the standard up here w/ an occasional Exmark, as was the case 10 years ago. I enjoy this site seeing all the diff mowers from diff regions.

I'm no fool I don't plan on being the next big thing in 2 years nor do I even have the desire to go strictly full time, but 15+/- accounts (property size dependant) that provide a nice supplemental income and something to fall back on would be nice.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Welcome to the site
Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who did you work for? If you don't mind me asking, also welcome to the site
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dean C. Ramsdell Landsaping out of Wells, ME as well as Lucas Tree (Landscape Division) out of Portland, ME.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know a few people who work for Dean, he runs a tight ship but seems to be doing well in a pretty competetive area.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I know a few people who work for Dean, he runs a tight ship but seems to be doing well in a pretty competetive area.
Unfortunatly Dean has been taken advantage of numerous times, due to expanding a little too much, guys mowing lawns for themselves using his equipment in between accounts, quitting w no notice and then tools mysteriously missing ect. It has been 10 years since I worked for him full time. When I 1st started working for him I was the 3rd employee and he ran out of his 1 car garage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the forum, I am just up the road from you in Gorham and I am actually getting out of the landscape maintenance business and have a bunch of stuff for sale in the for sale market place if your in the market for anything.