Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

local propane company said they would convert my scag for free

anyone convert their engine ( mine is a 27hp kaw vert. liquid cooled ) to propane? What are the pro's and cons?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Their are two way to convert to propane. Only one way will work. Typically simple conversion is to deliver a propane gas vapors from the tank to the carb, this has shown NOT to work.
What works good is to get a tank set up that will deliver liquid propane to the carb.
This set up is a little more expensive but when just using the vapor of propane you WILL have a freezing carb problem.

The facts are propane is 10% less BTUs than gasoline. Some say they can tell the power lose. In reality you just use about 10% more propane compared the the same as gasoline. The power is not much of a factor from what I have seen.

On the positive side it is much cleaner running, and much cheaper that gasoline.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this guy is wanting to cut the air intake and spray into line , not from carb.

So in winter does it get worse as far as trying to crank if carb starts freezing. In know you would loose power if it freezes and if it dethaws won't you have issues as well with cranking .?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

If these people haven't done a bunch of conversions, I wouldn't be their experimental project. We don't run propane on anything....there's some upsides to running it but there's a few downsides as well. I'll stick to gas and diesel.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagguy View Post
If these people haven't done a bunch of conversions, I wouldn't be their experimental project. We don't run propane on anything....there's some upsides to running it but there's a few downsides as well. I'll stick to gas and diesel.
I was told to work on them in Texas the Mechanic has to have a licenses from the Rail Road commission. The dealer just Pooh poo'd the whole concept of propane.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Power loss, unable to fillup at a gas station...I say no, not until propane is more widespread. If you run out of fuel on customers lawn you can just add a bit of fuel to finish, you have to change the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

INTERESTING POST.

I HAVE WONDERED BOUT THE PRO'S AND CON'S..opps cl
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Power loss, unable to fillup at a gas station...I say no, not until propane is more widespread. If you run out of fuel on customers lawn you can just add a bit of fuel to finish, you have to change the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure if it is possible, but a conversion kit that was dual fuel would solve this issue. I know they have dual and tri-fuel adapters for generators, it would be interesting to see if one could be used.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecotech View Post
Not sure if it is possible, but a conversion kit that was dual fuel would solve this issue. I know they have dual and tri-fuel adapters for generators, it would be interesting to see if one could be used.
Scag and i believe ferris make a gas and propane mower...very pricy.

It sucks when you run out and have to go to get propane because you didn't have time the day before.
Also, if on a large property and you run out, you have to lug the propane to the mower or drive truck close ...no small portable tank available....
Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same thing about a year ago. Two local propane dealers called me wanting to convert my mowers for free. I cited the same reasons here. What happens when I run out? PLUS I had to sign a contract to buy my propane from this one dealer for the next two years....no thanks