Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

honda fg 110 (mini cultivator) dethatcher?

Hey I just recently bought a honda fg 110 mini cultivator and im really impressed with how it gets the job done. Im used to using commercial dethatchers like blue bird etc. I noticed that I can buy a dethatcher attachment for only $160 for the honda. I would use it commercial for smaller lawns. My concern is how will the tines for it hold up? I seen a video and appears to do the job. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHiwWOyot3M . Anyone have one?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyod21 View Post
Hey I just recently bought a honda fg 110 mini cultivator and im really impressed with how it gets the job done. Im used to using commercial dethatchers like blue bird etc. I noticed that I can buy a dethatcher attachment for only $160 for the honda. I would use it commercial for smaller lawns. My concern is how will the tines for it hold up? I seen a video and appears to do the job. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHiwWOyot3M . Anyone have one?
I have the Mantis with Honda engine, same quality as Honda. I have the dethatcher tine and love it. I looked at the Honda's it's the same, It should last. It do a very good job, no beating up the lawn at all. Go for it.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to go for it now. I already paid 380 including tax for the cultivator unit and the dethatcher is only 160. That's still cheaper than buying a good used dethatcher. Thank you. I'm curious on how the bed edging attachment works. Have you used that attachment?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

No, I never use the edger even though it came with the unit. I read too many things about that it won't do a good job as the big gear reduction to increase torque for tilling make the tine too slow for good edging.

You might want to consider a pair of tines like the Mantis as those are very useful in cultivating. Those should be cheap.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With the Honda mini-tiller, you move forward with the dethatcher. With the Mantis, from these videos I saw, you have to move backwards?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKnanFOmRDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEUsmZlskqk
Old 11-24-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a stihl dethatcher, similar to the honda, the tines hold up well, but need replacing after a few years of hard use, try to avoid roots and twigs, etc. I'm looking at getting a honda because i like the idea of a 4 stroke, where the stihl is 2 stroke. I also feel that the commercial dethatchers like the bluebord and classen are too aggresive, and might do more harm then good, if not used under the proper conditions. The stihl and honda have spring loaded tines that are strong but don't destroy the turf, mine does a great job, but its kinda loud and smokey during extened use, just my thoughts.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial dethatchers are available in spring tine, and flail styles. You just need to pick the one that's right for your application.

Stihl makes an excellent 4 stroke engine with their 4-mix, however the 4-mix engine is paired with their "commercial" equipment, and the Yardboss is not in their "commercial" lineup.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Commercial dethatchers are available in spring tine, and flail styles. You just need to pick the one that's right for your application.

Stihl makes an excellent 4 stroke engine with their 4-mix, however the 4-mix engine is paired with their "commercial" equipment, and the Yardboss is not in their "commercial" lineup.
Kombi has a dethatcher?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/mul...nts/mfdethatc/

If you have the cultivator gearbox, I believe you can make this fit on your Kombi, but it is really made for the YardBoss.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, putting that on a kmobi would be a workout, plus all the thatch flies up at your face, you need the gaurds that come with the dethatcher for the yard boss, plus the wheel kit. Works great as a dethatcher.