Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Help picking a track loader.

Hello,

I need help picking a track loader.

Ive picked up some big snow plowing accounts and need to buy a machine to cover them. I need a track skid steer anyway to Im going that route even though I know its not the best option for snow plowing.

Ive priced out a Bobcat T180 and a Tackahuchi 230. both have a enclosed cab, heat, a/c and radio. I can pick any single bucket I want. These are both the same price and both have the same financing options.

Im waiting on a price for a Cat 247 and 257 B

The Bobcat dealer is 15min from shop, the Tachahuchi dealer is an hour away and the cat dealer is an hour away.

Im going to use this 85% landscaping and 15% snow (if we get any).

Any thoughts? input?

Thank you
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My vote is taki. I have had all of the ones you listed. If you look at cat , look at the 259, i would not own an mtl.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How come you don't like the MTL's? Ive never used one.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My buddy has a cat 259b. Ive put almost 30hrs on it myself. Great machine. Im in the market myself, looking at the kubotas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice, I like the Cat but its about 3k more than the others. The Kubota is a bigger machine than what I want although it does look like a nice machine. Im leaning towards the tak or Bobcat.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

here is my .02 and some things are going to want be to slap my mouth.

moons ago we switch from rubber tires to tracks....got a wide track t-190, had 1000hrs and loaded up, ran it for 2400hrs and 0 problems.
went to a 257 with 250hrs and loaded up, i got with bair aftermarket idlers all 8 and one new track. Ran it for 1000hr almost two years and i think I spent around 5-6k on it, just parts, we did all work in our shop. that being said, it was a decent machine, undercarriage sucked and a/c was worse.

So I started shopping last winter for a new machine, cat 259 great machine in my opinion, but a/c and door was the same as my 257, not spending 45k and being unhappy. looked at bigger cats 277 and 279, 277 still had undercarriage probs and a hell of a lot more moving parts then my 257! Was pretty much sold on a 279 till I had to go get parts for my 257(surprise surprise) and went in local dealers shop, they had 3 9(279,289,299) series cats in there all 3 had torsion axle problems and cat was not going to warranty them, cant remember somewhere in 8-9k range.
I looked at takis(dealer sucks I have a tak mini x and know all about them) looked at kubota and deere. Kubota are ugly, slow controls and seem a few years back in user friendly designs, but priced very good.
I ended up with a 329d deere, big and bad! It is very thirsty though!

To some up my novel, find a decent dealer(very important), they all have their problems. Correct me if i am wrong(not a lot of experience pushing snow thats is my down days and it does not happen very often) but a ctl is going to suck pushing snow, the cat would be the way to go for snow, but It will cost you a lot of money and downtime. I would look at bobcats(yuck) takis and deere maybe even throw in an alpha model case!

Good luck
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plus no matter what machine you get. How the dealer service? Thats a big issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Takis never break down.... ever. So you dont need a dealer close by. I have my own mechanics i would rather work on my stuff rather than the stealer anyway.

There is a reason why united rental keeps takis for 3000+ hours on the fleet rolls.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Takis never break down.... ever. So you dont need a dealer close by. I have my own mechanics i would rather work on my stuff rather than the stealer anyway.

There is a reason why united rental keeps takis for 3000+ hours on the fleet rolls.
I agree. Buy a proven machine. There are plenty of good machines out there. MTLs are just not one of them unless you own the dealership.LOL
Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Takeuchi always rolls off my tongue easily when recommending a CTL to anyone. Cat is damn nice and the company's 277C is an animal. We even have counter weights now for the rear to keep it planted down when lifting cut slab concrete from tear out work we do. But the tracks and rollers are taking a heavy beating after 600+ hours. OMFG.
Posted via Mobile Device