Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No I wouldn't leave either, not that kind of money. I've been contemplating this for years and I guess I havent jumped ship because the numbers just rarely add up. I've been doing this part time for 6 years (with insurance/I pay the Feds and NYS). Everything has been tracked in quickbooks and I can say that many times that end number at the bottom of the report sheet isn't very good. Granted I've had plenty of fun spending money and have put it to good use but even with that the expenses add up. As someone else stated if I didn't have kids I'd be making a go at it. Knowing that there is soooo much more before and after the mower/truck/equipment is turned off may not be worth it. I think I'll just stick to the part time work and make a few extra bucks to help pay some bills, work down some debt, redo some of my house, and other things. Once the kiddos are our of daycare ($1000/month expense) and my truck is paid off we'll be doing well enough that I may just close up shop or make a few thousand in the summer months. But for now it helps close the gap on bills.

I do some lawn and landscape work for a friend of mine who is a vetrinarian. Many does he make some money. Now he works all sorts of "off" hours to accomadate working people, but he does quite well. He's also a 3rd generation vet. But no one in their right mind is going to take their pet to a "lowball" vet. All vets are expensive...

Most of my equipment is now paid for so the expenses are getting less and the profit will increase, but nothing lasts forever. If my current job paid me that salary you listed I'd close up shop TODAY. Mainly because I really like my job it just pays real bad compared to my industry and the past few years (having kids) we've needed some extra money.

Good luck with a decision, if you're still making one, and just think things through.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
No I wouldn't leave either, not that kind of money. I've been contemplating this for years and I guess I havent jumped ship because the numbers just rarely add up. I've been doing this part time for 6 years (with insurance/I pay the Feds and NYS). Everything has been tracked in quickbooks and I can say that many times that end number at the bottom of the report sheet isn't very good. Granted I've had plenty of fun spending money and have put it to good use but even with that the expenses add up. As someone else stated if I didn't have kids I'd be making a go at it. Knowing that there is soooo much more before and after the mower/truck/equipment is turned off may not be worth it. I think I'll just stick to the part time work and make a few extra bucks to help pay some bills, work down some debt, redo some of my house, and other things. Once the kiddos are our of daycare ($1000/month expense) and my truck is paid off we'll be doing well enough that I may just close up shop or make a few thousand in the summer months. But for now it helps close the gap on bills.

I do some lawn and landscape work for a friend of mine who is a vetrinarian. Many does he make some money. Now he works all sorts of "off" hours to accomadate working people, but he does quite well. He's also a 3rd generation vet. But no one in their right mind is going to take their pet to a "lowball" vet. All vets are expensive...

Most of my equipment is now paid for so the expenses are getting less and the profit will increase, but nothing lasts forever. If my current job paid me that salary you listed I'd close up shop TODAY. Mainly because I really like my job it just pays real bad compared to my industry and the past few years (having kids) we've needed some extra money.

Good luck with a decision, if you're still making one, and just think things through.
very wise thinking in my opinion you have a family you need to provide for and you cannot take a risk and chance that. good to see someone manning up to their duties nowadays!

im 21 been doin the landscaping for few years havent really been pushing it super hard till i have all myy equipment iw ant but i manage i live on my own pay all my own bills and still have a lot of fun
Old 11-27-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
very wise thinking in my opinion you have a family you need to provide for and you cannot take a risk and chance that. good to see someone manning up to their duties nowadays!
im 21 been doin the landscaping for few years havent really been pushing it super hard till i have all myy equipment iw ant but i manage i live on my own pay all my own bills and still have a lot of fun
Ha, my wife makes double what I do. She's the one "manning" up. I probably could quit my job and screw around with landscaping but not quite yet. Also I think about my grandparents when they worked. My one grandfather started painting golf balls at the Dunlop plant and in years became a manager. Jobs suck sometimes but you've gotta work.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

double income is always a great way to go. $58,000 dollars is definitely doable, but IMO you would have to have a gross profit of over 145k to take home 58k. At leased for me that is what my numbers look like.

A lean, no debt business with two full time(March-November) employees can easily be managed to complete a lawn route with minimal downtime and paperwork time if done correctly.

5 days a week, from March 1st to Nov 30th (around 36 weeks on the high side including spring and fall clean ups)

36x40 hours per week x $12 per hour for decent work x 2 guys= $34,560

In my area, 80 man hours can complete about 120 lawns. (12-20 minute lawns on a tight route). These lawns range from 20-30 per cut. So lets say average of 25 dollars for this experiment.

25x120 lawns: $3000 weekly, $12,000 monthly from April-October and Double income from in March, November, and Half of October doing spring and fall clean ups, and all the extra add on maintenance work including gutters and aeration)

For a full 40 hour two men crew(80 man hours)
INCOME:
March: $24,000
April: $12,000
May: $12,000
June: $12,000
July: $12,000
August: $12,000
September: $12,000
October: $18,000 ($12,000 plus $6k in extra work)
November: $24,000

TOTAL GROSS BEFORE ANY LIABILITIES: $138,000

Truck Insurance: ($1500)
Business and Liability Insurance: ($800)
Back-up Truck Insurance: ($900)
Payroll: ($35,000)ish
Gas: ($8,500)
Oil, Blades, String, Filters, Misc Parts for machinery: ($3,500)
Truck Maintenance: ($3500)
Dump Fee's : ($1500)
Yearly Massive Breakdown: ($2500)
Phone: ($2000)
Advertising: ($4000)
Paper, Envelopes, Ink, Carbon Copies, Business Cards, ECT): ($1500)

Your left with: $72,050 Before Taxes

TAX MAN: (%25-30%)
($18,000-$21,000)

NET PROFIT: $53,050

If you are driving a company car as your personal vehicle you can add what you would have spent on a car payment in to that(350 per month x 12 and insurance: $4200 plus insurance)

Subtract health insurance and retirement from this number as well if you are going to need both of these(which most people want but dont need)

If you are using your company phone for a personal line as well you can add that back in: $2000 yearly for a decent, 1500 min plan with two phones)

Subtract any new purchases/investments you want to make and deduct that from your taxes

You are left with right around 55-60k.

If you are in the field, deduct or take home your 17k in labor, if you are working another job while doing this , add that payroll in as well.

My plan as a business owner is to get a MBA in Business, find a good accounting firm and look for the starting salary of 60-80k while i am running a two- three crew landscape business(Sales just under 450k) Once your company is established you can hire a receptionist and an office/crew manager to take over the estimations and paperwork. Its more overhead but its less work for you. Then your business is running itself. Granted a business needs the owner around, you don't have to be in the field and can work off your phone and quality control.

This is becoming a ramble on post, but if you cant get sales up to 140k(which took me 6 years to do, we are now at 245k in sales) there is no point in quitting your salaried job. 58k is a lot of money. Sure your not rich, but your not living paycheck to paycheck unless you bought a huge house and have car payments and cc debt and bad investments.

58k / 12 is almost 4,800 per month before taxes.

Try doing both, find a good college student in your area that needs 20-30 hours per week tp do your lawns while you are working. Paying out 300 per week when you are making that in lawns, as pocket money, is a lot better than leaving a salary paid job. Do both and see if you can manage.

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post
You would be a idiot.

It would take a LONG time or LONG hours to get there. I am barely there after 10 years and 80 hour weeks. Not fun. I would much rather have a less stress 40hr a week job.
What are you working for, pennies on the dollar? 80 hour weeks and your not making enough? When do you have time to spend money if your working that much.

Mon-Sat: 5 am-7pm

at ten dollars per hour your making 3200 per month. I hope your not working for 10 dollars. Your a business owner, when i work i myself want to make 25 at leased when i am in the field.

If i worked 80 hour weeks from March to November id be making $72,000 payroll.

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Not to mention if you snow plow that's all gravy money if you can cover your costs during mowing season
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Ya, add book work time, breakdowns, traffic, needy customers. I have days where I make $300-500 profit, I have others that I make a negative income.
dont do that to yourself! Why take a job that has the potential to lose money! Is working for free worth your time....Granted some jobs you think will take 6 hours, end up taking 12, but give yourself some leeway so you dont screw yourself over.

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
Not to mention if you snow plow that's all gravy money if you can cover your costs during mowing season
Posted via Mobile Device
exactly. I did all pre pay seasonal snow contracts this year. We have 3 big commercial contracts, and about 85 residentials to do with a dodge ram and a john deere 3320 and i have in hand $22k in checks (pre payment is due november 30th to be on our route) plus the commercials which are paid per storm. Plowing is the biggest gravy money. I dont pay any bills in the winter. I have a payment plan for everything yearly to be paid 50% upfront in April and then 6 months of payments from there. ..No bills from November to March.

We landscapers gotta think! Put our minds together and learn from each other. How do you justify paying bills in the winter, for summer equipment! SAVE SAVE SAVE AND PAY YOUR PAYMENTS FROM THE TIME YOU ARE WORKING! NOT SITTING WITH THE FAMILY AT HOME DOING NOTHING IN THE WINTER MONTHS

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm shootinto double my company for next year and really boost sales it sucks not bein able 2 count on snow though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In my area, 80 man hours can complete about 120 lawns. (12-20 minute lawns on a tight route). These lawns range from 20-30 per cut. So lets say average of 25 dollars for this experiment.

$25/a cut REALLY? 12-20 mins a lawn? REALLY all my customers are full service we spend an avg of 30 mins on each lawn, at an avg of $50/service grant it we don't have 120 customers YET!