Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think most people say that are going to stay solo because they don't have a clue how to grow their business to where they are making good money and not a slave to their company.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
I think most people say that are going to stay solo because they don't have a clue how to grow their business to where they are making good money and not a slave to their company.
Everyone is in this business for their own reasons, many are going to school, alot do it part time, in my case I have other interests and lawncare helps with that.

I can assure you if you grow a "large" business the business will "OWN" you and you will be its slave.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we grow when we are able to pay cash, and whenever that happens, we grow without a lot of question. If you can afford to do it, then do it. We bought a new truck early this year, and have doubled sales from last year.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 11-27-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslawncare View Post
we grow when we are able to pay cash, and whenever that happens, we grow without a lot of question. If you can afford to do it, then do it. We bought a new truck early this year, and have doubled sales from last year.
Thats definately the way to do it.

I have enought equiptment to add another crew and also get into installs, but Im almost 50 and dont care that much anymore.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Everyone is in this business for their own reasons, many are going to school, alot do it part time, in my case I have other interests and lawncare helps with that.

I can assure you if you grow a "large" business the business will "OWN" you and you will be its slave.
I agree with this to a point. Solo guys have their pick of the gravy jobs after a few years. If there are other pursuits than solo is the way to go. For me, this is what I do, my wife knows this and so does everyone I know. I want to grow this business to a point where I am happy. When I get there I'll most likely realize I'm not happy and keep going. I don't run a large business but I still take time off and enjoy myself. If you ask any LCO owner with more than 20 employees I'm sure their day is a little better than the solo guy IMHO.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
Stay solo with one helper part time seasonal. The only way to be profitable is by at least doubling your business and hire two people to run the daily show and You work on projects and special requests. Otherwise the cost of insurance and worker comp, truck, trailer maintenance costs, payroll and basic stress will bankrupt you. Everything is way overpriced in this world today and only getting worse. Worry about yourself and efficiency of what you have and you will make more money. There is a limit of the solo operator and I've been at that limit for many years now and am happy as can be. I'm not rich I'm not poor. Keep things simple and be happy.
I was at this point 3 years ago now It's myself and 4 guys. But I know the profit is the same as just a 2 man operation. A couple more years of the hustle and I'm gonna downsize to myself and 1 helper once I am debt free and have a good chunk of change in the bank. I just remember how simple things where when i only had 1 helper. Plus usually having one guy working with me keeps my morale up and his up rather than having a crew always cry about everything together. There is deffinately a tipping point and I tipped over for sure and it takes longer to ride out that wave before you can go small again. You live and learn when running a buisiness and I feel I will be very successful in a few years if I can recuperate and survive these few years.
1997 Ford F250
2010 John Deere 315 skidloader
44inch Toro Z-master
44inch Toro walk-behind
36inch Toro walk-behind
48inch Exmark Metro walk-behind
Stilh and husqavarna power equiptment
haulin 16 ft enclosed trailer for mowers
haulin 18 ft enclosed trailer for landscaping
Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are you? A technician with an entrepreneurial seizure or a business owner.

Do you own your business or do you own your job?

Those are two question from the emyth landscaper contractor book.

It is very simple to make your life easy. establish procedures in your business and hire people to perform the task you have written. It is sofuckingeasy I laugh. After you create a procedure your godlike knowledge of cutting grass is all of a sudden eliminated. A piece of paper takes over for you. Then you sit and talk about what kind oif perfume your wife wants to wear. That is the life .
Old 11-27-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I agree with this to a point. Solo guys have their pick of the gravy jobs after a few years. If there are other pursuits than solo is the way to go. For me, this is what I do, my wife knows this and so does everyone I know. I want to grow this business to a point where I am happy. When I get there I'll most likely realize I'm not happy and keep going. I don't run a large business but I still take time off and enjoy myself. If you ask any LCO owner with more than 20 employees I'm sure their day is a little better than the solo guy IMHO.
Not many make it to 20 employees, theres only a few here on LS.
I know the only "big" companys in my aera owner, he works his rear end off and is alaways worried about the future. I dont want his business and he doesnt want my business.

A long term Solo feller can earn a decient somewhat secure living.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post

It is very simple to make your life easy. establish procedures in your business and hire people to perform the task you have written. It is sofuckingeasy I laugh. After you create a procedure your godlike knowledge of cutting grass is all of a sudden eliminated. A piece of paper takes over for you. Then you sit and talk about what kind oif perfume your wife wants to wear. That is the life .
So how many years did it take to get to this place? Did you specialize ? Or just take on all types of work?
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post

Paper is "COOL". Then it rains for a week, so your fellers quit, and take some of your stuff to make up for the week they lost. So you scramble and because of all the rain your customers grass get knee high but you lost your employees due to the rain, so they are forced to find someont else to cut the grass. Then you cant make end meet business wise and also personal wise. Your wife runs out of perfume and leaves.

Other than that its all perfect.