Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 AM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
I haven't seen any ads of that stature on there, including mine, I am always looking at new and better ways to advertise, I applaud you for creating a professional looking ad, I agree that it would make a huge difference in the level of client. I placed several ads on there when I first started and received junk calls by the dozen, people wanting $25 and under service, which is not my level of service, but admitely my ad was of low quality. Also, I think you have to pay to put ads on there that stay, They said I could only put one ad every so often on there for free and it only stayed on there for 24hrs then it was gone, not sure about this. Anyway, good job! you guys look like your doing a good business. I'll have to check into CL again.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 AM
jonthepain's Avatar
jonthepain jonthepain is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 487
thanks, cpl.

i want the ad to not only weed out people looking for a bargain, but to pre-sell those who are a good match for our services.

same with the web site.

i'd rather be an order taker than a salesman.
__________________
Carolina Organic Lawns
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
kawasaki guy's Avatar
kawasaki guy kawasaki guy is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 4,856
thanks for the replies! keep them coming!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,993
I run a newspaper ad in the spring for 6 to 8 weeks for cleanups, mowing and mulching and then usually one in the fall for leaf cleanups and plowing. I didn't run the fall one this year. A lot of my work comes from referrals from customers and neighbors passing by. I'm not really trying to grow my business or I would advertise more. I had pretty good luck selling firewood on CL but that's all I've used it for...for the business anyway.

P.S. - I used to run a Yellow Pages ad but cancelled that last year due to cost and lack of response from it.

Last edited by Darryl G; 11-28-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
thanks, cpl.

i want the ad to not only weed out people looking for a bargain, but to pre-sell those who are a good match for our services.

same with the web site.

i'd rather be an order taker than a salesman.
That's right! same here! that's why we went to full service instead of mow n go, less competition and higher margins.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:09 PM
kawasaki guy's Avatar
kawasaki guy kawasaki guy is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki guy View Post
thanks for the replies! keep them coming!
same again.
__________________
Charlie

Snapper: CP218520 Comm. Hi Vac
21351PD new engine Hi Vac
LawnBoy: 10227 wi/bagger
Scag:SW36 Grass Packer/Kawaski engine
Shindaiwa: T242 LE242 RS41T231X
STIHL: MS210C BG55x2
Kawasaki:KRB650B KHDS600A
Toro:1 Stage snow thrower
Lesco: 4Gal BP sprayer #80 SS spreader deflector/hopper cover
Quality Steel: 5x8 utility trailer

Shindaiwa and kawasaki beats Stihl

Click here for my work thread
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:43 AM
lawnkingforever's Avatar
lawnkingforever lawnkingforever is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I run a newspaper ad in the spring for 6 to 8 weeks for cleanups, mowing and mulching and then usually one in the fall for leaf cleanups and plowing. I didn't run the fall one this year. A lot of my work comes from referrals from customers and neighbors passing by. I'm not really trying to grow my business or I would advertise more. I had pretty good luck selling firewood on CL but that's all I've used it for...for the business anyway.

P.S. - I used to run a Yellow Pages ad but cancelled that last year due to cost and lack of response from it.
Ditto. Most of my work comes from people driving by and referals. I only accept business in a very limited geographical area. Many forms of advertising would of be of no use to me. The growth is slow, but all of my work is clustered in a few developments with minimal drive time. Although if I want to expand into a certain neighborhood, I will mail out post cards just to that neighborhood. When I do pick up a new client in a different development that I do not currently service, I make the yard look perfect each and every time. I also talk to neighbors and let them know I am there in case they need my services. Neighbors see my work and how consistent I am, which will lead to more business. I will advertise on CL for brushmowing, not so much for mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:15 PM
kawasaki guy's Avatar
kawasaki guy kawasaki guy is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki guy View Post
thanks for the replies! keep them coming!
same again
__________________
Charlie

Snapper: CP218520 Comm. Hi Vac
21351PD new engine Hi Vac
LawnBoy: 10227 wi/bagger
Scag:SW36 Grass Packer/Kawaski engine
Shindaiwa: T242 LE242 RS41T231X
STIHL: MS210C BG55x2
Kawasaki:KRB650B KHDS600A
Toro:1 Stage snow thrower
Lesco: 4Gal BP sprayer #80 SS spreader deflector/hopper cover
Quality Steel: 5x8 utility trailer

Shindaiwa and kawasaki beats Stihl

Click here for my work thread
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 PM
pthorn0 pthorn0 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rowlett texas
Posts: 11
The best way in my opinion to advertise your services is going door to door and talking with people face to face. As long as you are polite and dont knock on doors that have no soliciting signs then you will generally get good reception. Today i went door to door for 2 hours and landed 3 mulch jobs...a total revenue of $850
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-16-2012, 03:35 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,402
i've tried most everything. internet, facebook page, door to door, handing out business cards, fliers, signs, truck signage, etc....i only got maybe 1-2 customers from all of this. that's it.

what has worked for me is a newspaper ad and word of mouth. the rest was a waste of time and money. i'm sure it depends on where you live and what works in your area.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.09280 seconds with 9 queries