Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

gross annual income

How are some of you guys doin who have been in biz for 4 years or less

About what are you pulling in,what are you shooting for, how did you go about achieving that

Were did you start and were are you now? Lot of crews lots equip lots accounts etc etc and what are your plans for future growth or do u plan on getting out of the business for various reasons
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I would like to see how I am doing compared to others in the business.
This is my 3rd year doing lawn care full time. Before that I did sprinkler blowouts only on a part time basis. My gross will be a bit over $230,000 this year. I have a mowing crew, a licensed pest control and fertilizing/broadleaf control applicator, and one sprinkler repair technician.
For vehicles I have: one van for sprinkler repair; a 1-ton chevy diesel and 16 ft enclosed trailer for mowing, dodge diesel w/flatbed and two skid sprayers, a 1500 silverado, and just bought a F-250 powerstroke. I use these last two for landscaping and yard clean-ups. I also have a 14 ft mowing trailer currently used for yard clean-ups.
I have two 185 tow-behind compressors. The compressors generate a lot of income for only a month of work.
My profit runs around 25%.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Well ur kickin my ass haha how much advertsing did u do/how'd u get ur customers

Wht perc3nt residential to commercial
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodale View Post
I would like to see how I am doing compared to others in the business.
This is my 3rd year doing lawn care full time. Before that I did sprinkler blowouts only on a part time basis. My gross will be a bit over $230,000 this year. I have a mowing crew, a licensed pest control and fertilizing/broadleaf control applicator, and one sprinkler repair technician.
For vehicles I have: one van for sprinkler repair; a 1-ton chevy diesel and 16 ft enclosed trailer for mowing, dodge diesel w/flatbed and two skid sprayers, a 1500 silverado, and just bought a F-250 powerstroke. I use these last two for landscaping and yard clean-ups. I also have a 14 ft mowing trailer currently used for yard clean-ups.
I have two 185 tow-behind compressors. The compressors generate a lot of income for only a month of work.
My profit runs around 25%.
I would guess that you have atleast 6 employees. What is you labor cost?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would venture to guess that not many want to or will post their gross annual income, and the ones that do might be fudging the numbers to look good. Just saying.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gross means nothing. Its the net companies should be worried about.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Well ill flip it around what percentage of profit are some guys pulling in and what can you do or do you do to increase that number
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
I would venture to guess that not many want to or will post their gross annual income, and the ones that do might be fudging the numbers to look good. Just saying.
not true i'm sure you will alot of people will gross their businesses annual gross income, because gross doesn't mean that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLC2000 View Post
Gross means nothing. Its the net companies should be worried about.
that is very true. I'm 99% positive i will have broken the 6 figure mark this year, but no way did i net anywhere near six figures yet anyways. not too mention this years numbers are inflated greatly by that storm we had last year on october 31st. that has brought me over 40,000 in income this year is if not even 50 or 60,000 but next year i won't have that. so next year will be a test, but it will also be my third year in business and people are starting to notice me alot more, because of my rentless advertising and branding.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Gross income

I posted to compare myself to how others are doing. Does it matter? I would just like to know. I think I have done well but I don't really know the industry standards.
The numbers I gave are real and current. We are still doing clean-ups and the numbers will get better but I don't know exactly where we will end up for the year.
I also agree the net is the most important and meaningful number. That I am not willing to post. I will say that as I have grown my expenses have increased dramatically. For instance I now have an office person. There is a lot of paperwork to do. Insurance on 5 vehicles and 3 trailers is high.
I have 5 employees including myself. If the growth continues next year I will have to put on 2 new employees. Even at my size employees are a huge problem. They destroy the equipment, are late, don't care about their own or the lawn's appearance, etc. It is hard to find good employees. I have 2 exceptional employees. I could not have expanded without these employees. I keep them year around which increases my expenses, but I think it is a necessary expense to maintain the company.
Also I put almost all of the income back into the company. I only have debt on the two newest trucks. I will take on debt, but I try to pay it off during the next season.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Good for u man no bashin here!! How old are u? I grossed a measley 60k had a really hot summer and very poor winter but I did hire some one because I feel to get to that next level I need someone else so I took him in to train but might lose him due to the off season but hope not
Posted via Mobile Device