Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
There is no doubt that Google indexes this site vary rapidly. I think content is king with Google. If I spent as much time writing for my website as I do posting here then would rank much better.
lol You're depressingly accurate. It's amazing what a person's output level can be if it's required vs. done in one's "free" time, even if it is very similar content. To post here is really only a notch different than generating content for your own site, but what fun is that?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you all sound just like my seo guy.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

wow....i've been getting prices like $400-1000 per month to do my SEO. one place told me they don't go near companies who dont spend at least $10,000 PER MONTH on SEO. HA!

i just stopped using my old SEO company that was charging me $400/month, but they had just created a bunch of duplicate pages stuffed with keywords and put that on my website. i believe that will make google unhappy in the long run. what i really need is an SEO outfit to do backlinks, write press releases, basically do some PR on behalf of my site. i can't believe what's happened to SEO monthly pricing.....

jim
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakie99 View Post
wow....i've been getting prices like $400-1000 per month to do my SEO. one place told me they don't go near companies who dont spend at least $10,000 PER MONTH on SEO. HA!

i just stopped using my old SEO company that was charging me $400/month, but they had just created a bunch of duplicate pages stuffed with keywords and put that on my website. i believe that will make google unhappy in the long run. what i really need is an SEO outfit to do backlinks, write press releases, basically do some PR on behalf of my site. i can't believe what's happened to SEO monthly pricing.....

jim
a.) at least you recognized you hired a less than reputable company and got out before spending any more money.

b.) no, those prices you list are not out of line by any means, as long as they're doing legitimate work. time is money, and good seo takes time. the key is being on top of what they're doing and legitimately providing for your site's best interest. there are several instances on here where people recommend "their seo guy" and one look at their site tells me they're getting hosed. if you're going to take someone's money like that, at least create plausible deniability by doing the most basic things. empty [H] and [TITLE] tags are kinda noticeable...
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim, that's a very professional site you have there. I am envious.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakie99 View Post
what i really need is an SEO outfit to do backlinks, write press releases, basically do some PR on behalf of my site. i can't believe what's happened to SEO monthly pricing.....
Yes, very nice site. Have you looked at any of the services that build citations for you? Whitespark.com has a very interesting local citation building service. I believe you pay $4 per citation created.

For local SEO, it seems difficult to farm out link building (not citations) without paying for a bunch of garbage links. Local SEO needs local links or links from quality sites in our industry. Right now, this usually means having a blog and/or contributing to others blogs. Maybe do some reading on the SEO sites about using blogs for SEO?

Houzz
Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Yes, very nice site. Have you looked at any of the services that build citations for you? Whitespark.com has a very interesting local citation building service. I believe you pay $4 per citation created.

For local SEO, it seems difficult to farm out link building (not citations) without paying for a bunch of garbage links. Local SEO needs local links or links from quality sites in our industry. Right now, this usually means having a blog and/or contributing to others blogs. Maybe do some reading on the SEO sites about using blogs for SEO?

Please clarify "citations".
Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A citation is a mention of your company (perhaps with your website listed, perhaps not) on a website like YP.com or some other directory. Search engines use these to build their local information.
These are different, in SEO, from a link. A link sends traffic from website to another AND should indicate that the person behind the linking site values your business or site. When YP.com, YahooLocal, or Yelp lists your business they are not endorsing it- only confirming that it exists. This is a citation.

A really good definition (and great resource) is here: http://getlisted.org/resources/why-c...important.aspx
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2012, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks so much for the kind words on our site. it's where almost all of our new leads are coming from now.

i hadnt heard of citations either, but it sounds like PR for a website more or less - i will check out the company you mentioned. sounds promising.

trying to tackle seo ourselves seems like a losing battle sometimes because, while it's relatively easy to control and optimize on-page seo, it's the off page stuff (link building, etc) that really does the trick. i have seen sites rank #1 for the terms i am targeting, and they only have a very simple flash intro page with little to no keyword text and their company name as their title tag!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post

A really good definition (and great resource) is here: http://getlisted.org/resources/why-c...important.aspx
Posted via Mobile Device

I looked around and it seems like a decent resource.

I noticed they mentioned hotfrog. What joke those creeps are. I noticed about a year or so ago my listing was wrong woth them. I attempted to claim the site, verify it and update my listing. My phone rang off the hook.

They would have me on the phone and another call from them was coming in. Absolutely non-stop for about 3 hours. I could not make calls or get calls they had me so tied up. I threatened to walk to India and kill all of them.

Needless to say, the updates never took and it is still wrong on their site. I still call about updating my google listing. If it ask to be removed, they calls just increase so I simpley hang up on them now. I likely get 10 of these a week. It may bot be all from the hotfrig group but that experiance was horrible.

I dare anyone to try it. I dare you.