Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Weed control/Fertilizer or no account?

Do you think it is better to force the fertilizer/weed ctrl program on clients or give them the option to choose it?

It gives people who see you working on a property a perception that you do shotty work? Additionally, can't we carry those weed seeds from untreated lawns to weed-free lawns?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

When you have more work then you can handle then you can dictate to your customers.

Not everyone wants or can afford to have the lawn of your dreams.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I def hear that and agree but was thinking about the pros and cons of making it mandatoy such as not having a negative perception of the wprk you do.

Think you said it right...once I'm in a position to make it mandatory, I will know it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't require it, I have it as an add on service for those that want it, most do, but not all, after I show them the difference they usually go for it!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Down here it seems that almost all companies are set up to offer pricing ONLY on including weed control, fert and disease control. Each company may vary a little by not including some weeds while others do treat them in their program.
I am not aware of any company around here that offers just straight fertilization. I am sure some smaller operations may agree to offer a color only option but I am not aware of it. With the pest and disease issues lawns down here can face most homeowners seem to want it all included.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Up here you can't even 'deselect' dumping granules on frozen hillside overlooking a Lake... and yes, there is an app for more granules for the Spring rains and another for when the grass is actually growing again...
It always makes one look smart(and professional) when one requires the frozen ground apps...

I hope that LCOs stop that pretty soon, but TGCL leads the pack when it comes to mandatory detrimental apps... So the LCOs would have to figure out for themselves, "What is proper and what is Not"...
Are we going to just copy the big boys or are we willing to take less cash to do it right???

Nobody seems to understand why gov'ts get involved with commanding, "How and When fertilzers may be Applied"""
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Up here you can't even 'deselect' dumping granules on frozen hillside overlooking a Lake... and yes, there is an app for more granules for the Spring rains and another for when the grass is actually growing again...
It always makes one look smart(and professional) when one requires the frozen ground apps...

I hope that LCOs stop that pretty soon, but TGCL leads the pack when it comes to mandatory detrimental apps... So the LCOs would have to figure out for themselves, "What is proper and what is Not"...
Are we going to just copy the big boys or are we willing to take less cash to do it right???

Nobody seems to understand why gov'ts get involved with commanding, "How and When fertilzers may be Applied"""
You bring up some very valid point in concerns to proper apps. My statement was made about down here you are essentially paying the PCO to care for the turf would be how I would put it. A good PCO/LCO will inspect the lawn and give it only what would be needed. If there is not any weeds present then their would not be a need for a application of a control agent. Generally however in our environment with pest and disease there are certain procautions that PCO will make to ensure the customer does not lose their turf to pest during certain times of year as it is not a simple re-seeding the lawn here as their is not a viable seed for St. Augustine.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
You bring up some very valid point in concerns to proper apps. My statement was made about down here you are essentially paying the PCO to care for the turf would be how I would put it. A good PCO/LCO will inspect the lawn and give it only what would be needed. If there is not any weeds present then their would not be a need for a application of a control agent. Generally however in our environment with pest and disease there are certain procautions that PCO will make to ensure the customer does not lose their turf to pest during certain times of year as it is not a simple re-seeding the lawn here as their is not a viable seed for St. Augustine.
I agree,,, No matter where your from , it is the job of every professional in every line of work to,,, not be a putz...

When an LCO treats CG when the ground is still too cold to even have the KBG growing actively and dumping fert at the same time, he is a putz on so many different levels already,,, but my main point was that of filling our fresh water lakes with NPK & 2,4d type products, makes him/her a total hazard to the industry... enter the gov't to fix the stupidity...
Then ,,, these same fools are so arrogant as to require that the client accept ALL6/7 apps...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am in the service industry. The customer picks the level of service.

When you go to a restaurant you get to order off the menu. You don't always get what the restaurant owner wants to sell you and if you had to order the most expensive steak you would probably like it but resent that you had to pay alot for it and had no choice.

Keep that in mind when you think about demanding anything of your customers because there are lots of restaurants out there. Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOW ED View Post
I am in the service industry. The customer picks the level of service.

When you go to a restaurant you get to order off the menu. You don't always get what the restaurant owner wants to sell you and if you had to order the most expensive steak you would probably like it but resent that you had to pay alot for it and had no choice.

Keep that in mind when you think about demanding anything of your customers because there are lots of restaurants out there. Good Luck.
But my restaurant can't survive if you don't put a lot of money into OUR Specials...