Register free!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Using Coron from Helena

I have been using UFLEXX & UMAXX for the past 4 years in both granular & liquid form. I am very satisfied with the results except for one thing, the tip burning that comes from applying it when the weather is a little to warm & the dry. I am interested in using Coron but would like some information from applicators who have used it such as, how much nitrogen is in each gallon of Coron, how much to you dilute it, which particular Coron product to you use & how much nitrogen do you apply during each application. Any and all information is appreciated.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

FD,
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Total Nitrogen (N) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25.00%
18.8% Urea Nitrogen
6.2% Other Water Soluble Nitrogen*
Derived from urea, methylene diurea and methylene ureas.
Chlorine (Cl), not more than 0.01%
*6.2% Slowly Available Nitrogen from methylene diurea and methylene ureas.
SN 0708/0908
Information about the components of this lot of fertilizer may be obtained by writing to Helena Chemical Company, 225 Schilling Boulevard, Suite 300, Collierville, TN 38017 and giving the lot number which is found on the container.
Information regarding the contents and levels of metals in this product is available on the Internet at: http://www.aapfco.org/metals.htm .
F224
MANUFACTURED FOR
HELENA CHEMICAL COMPANY
225 SCHILLING BOULEVARD, SUITE 300
COLLIERVILLE, TN 38017
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
CAUTION
USE WITHIN 9 MONTHS FROM DATE OF PURCHASE
See Inside Panel For Additional Precautionary Statements
WEIGHT PER GALLON: 10.0 lbs. (4.54 kg)
NET CONTENTS: 2.5 gals. (9.46 L) Jug
2 x 2.5 gals.

depending on what formulation you are choosing to use.......!!!!!!!!!

10lbs X .25 = 2.5 lbs of N.

Example: Calculate the amount of liquid fertilizer (28-0-0) required to apply 1.0 lb of Nitrogen per
1,000 ft2

. (the liquid formulation weighs 10 lbs per gallon).
10 lbs per gallon x .28 = 2.8 lbs of N/gallon

you want 1lb. of N per K/ .28 lb. of N = 0.36 gallons per K.

The leaf tip burn you will get is from a fert and foliar feeding. I use coron at 1/2 lb. per K and spray often. You can also go 1/4 lb. rates more often as to not burn during warm times. If the temps are bludgering hot...........you can get tip burn anyway......but make sure you are irrigating to 1 inch of water per week. The color and growth will be cut off each week anyway.
I am sorry if I speak of my warm season grasses but I am careful as to not tip burn zoysia and bermuda grass during hot weather. I do not use liquid on non irrigated lawns anyway.........no matter what the control release formulation it is. This is my choice only.
Coron was designed for turfgrass but somehow, it ended up in the soybean and the corn industry for feeding the plants at the right times for bolt and seed set.

Ric and skipster, if I left anything mathematical out, you will tell me.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

18.8% urea. This stuff is mostly fast release N. I use 70% or better CRN if I am going to add it to a mix. Being that it is that much fast N makes it very dangerous on a non irrigated lawn. I have gotten away with applying 1/4 lb N as 75% CRN 28-0-0 on a non irrigated lawn.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in all cool season turf. I did look up the 28-0-0 product for turf and did find out some of the information I needed. I was told that Coron will not tip burn but you guys are telling me it does tip burn. How much water per k are you using when applying it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cool season turf is even more sensitive to being burnt than say, bermuda or zoysia down south. I suggest no more than 0.25 lb N in 5 gallons per 1000 sq ft. If you are doing this to a drought stressed lawn, all bets are off.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not sure if you have thought about this but are you sure its the N. Could it be the weed killer what ever your flavor. I back way down on both fert and killer when its hot. Just didnt know if your blanket app both.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

At my old Trugreen branch we used 4 gallons of solution per thousand sqft. Rule of thumb was nitrogen at one pound per thousand sqft up to 80 degrees.
.75 pound up to 85,
.5 pound up to 90.
We used urea. And a small amount of potash as muriate.
Herbicide didn't seem to matter--we used a three-way.
We still burned a few lawns at times. Excess pressure and inexperienced people-- pressured to hit a high quota--caused a few brown lawns.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I though that Coron had a low salt index so burn was not a big factor.

I used to use a liquid fert that had a low salt index that you would have to put it down at a very high rate in order to have problems with burn.

In fact we would put a 1 lbs of N down in a 20 gal a acre spray solution with no problems.

Charles Cue
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on which grade. I see lots of unpolymerized urea in that label. My requirement is for at least 70% polymerized, in the mix it is not intended as the "green um up". That is what the ammonium and nitrate nitrogen is for. The CRN is just so the lawn holds if I am not exactly on schedule.

Were you applying 1 lb of N per acre in 20 gallons or was that 43 lb of N in 20 gallons? With what I use, the latter would be almost undiluted 28-0-0. Well irrigated grass can take pretty high concentrations of just 28-0-0. It gets different when P, K, and micronutrients are in the solution because that affects the salt index.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
I though that Coron had a low salt index so burn was not a big factor.

I used to use a liquid fert that had a low salt index that you would have to put it down at a very high rate in order to have problems with burn.

In fact we would put a 1 lbs of N down in a 20 gal a acre spray solution with no problems.

Charles Cue
I was under the assumption that Coron had a very low salt index so as not to burn. I an not applying anything else other than the nitrogen during this application.

Riggle, how big a tank did you guys have when you were Trugreen. At 4 gallons per K that only gives you 50,000 Sq. Ft. with a 200 gallon tank. A lot of fills would be needed during the day with when putting down that much water.

For you guys talking about irrigation that means nothing to me as about 1% of my customers irrigate.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.