Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
And I agree when it comes to more of the labor type jobs you need someone who can do that job and has experience doing it. But they didn't know it all when they started......
Problem per my last post. If the experience is doing things wrong, then that experience needs to be unlearned and retaught. Typically I have found this is much more difficult that taking someone who has little to no experience and training them to do things right.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Problem per my last post. If the experience is doing things wrong, then that experience needs to be unlearned and retaught. Typically I have found this is much more difficult that taking someone who has little to no experience and training them to do things right.
I would agree with you on this too. Kind of the "can't teach an old dog new tricks"
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I would agree with you on this too. Kind of the "can't teach an old dog new tricks"
A hard worker with a good attitude, willingness to listen/learn, and the ability to retain lessons the first time they are taught can turn a dime a dozen no skill laborer into a valuable long term employee asset.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
A hard worker with a good attitude, willingness to listen/learn, and the ability to retain lessons the first time they are taught can turn a dime a dozen no skill laborer into a valuable long term employee asset.
These kind of people are out there????

Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
These kind of people are out there????
Few and far between.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many of us know college grads in a job that has nothing to do with their degrees? Not saying college is going to hurt you but it does take a financial toll
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
How many of us know college grads in a job that has nothing to do with their degrees? Not saying college is going to hurt you but it does take a financial toll
Posted via Mobile Device
I know a ton, but they still needed a degree to get the job they have. If they didn't have one they couldn't have even interviewed for the job they have.

Yea college can cost a ton today. For me it wasn't too bad and my student loans are around 1.75%. If your smart in HS and actually care about your grades you can go to college without paying a dime!

I will say this, my siblings and I all have higher degrees. I'm the only one with a masters and they have PhD's!! Are we rich? No. But we all have super flexible jobs and get paid a full time salary for essentially part time work. We each enjoy EVERY holiday off, have 5+ weeks of paid vacations, retirement plans, yearly salary increases, opportunities for advancement, and other benefits. My silbings are in more secure careers than myself but I'm in charge of everything I do. Can't say I know many friends without degrees that share these things in common. Own a business (meaning you're not a solo op)? You could share these too.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Every lawnboy with a degree in business for one.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Ya'll are kidding yourselves if you think a colllege degree is not essential today.

Better keep that lawn mowing job you have because you will have a tough time finding anything else.

If two people apply for the same job and one finished college and the other has a HS diploma, guess who gets the job. Not because he is more intelligent but because he had the determination to finish college.
I could pick up the phone and have a new job in the morning. I have never burned a bridge with former employers and have general knowledge of more than one industry. This thread is for people doing manual labor and other related fields, If it were between myself and someone with a college degree. Who would you choose to run your equipment, or drive your CMV?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I could pick up the phone and have a new job in the morning. I have never burned a bridge with former employers and have general knowledge of more than one industry. This thread is for people doing manual labor and other related fields, If it were between myself and someone with a college degree. Who would you choose to run your equipment, or drive your CMV?
I'd choose a guy without a degree to run my equipment--most college guys are not so saavy when it comes to sweat equity--
Though, there are some real workers out there that have college degrees--

a guy that KNOWS how to work hard doing manual labor, it doesn't bother him and also has a college degree?...its hard for me to see how much I can offer him until my business grows to a 5 or 6 truck operation (or he has a license of some sort doing more complex work than mowing grass )and he would be more useful selling, running the entire operation, not sweating behind a mower--I'd wonder why he didn't go out on his own....
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me