Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
I have used JD residential mower before I started to cut commercial and they cut like crap for me.

Especially since you are money tight, it's a no brainer to get the Exmark. Wait, I stopped myself in the middle of that sentence.

HOW MANY HOURS DOES THE EXMARK HAVE??

-Michael
Not sure why you mentioned that since the 757 is far from a homeowner grade mower.

I have owned an enormous amount of JD "homeowner" machines over the years and I'd put the cut of every single one of them up against any Exmark any day, any week, any year. That 757 will be the much better choice of the two the OP is looking at because it will cut very well in any condition on any type of grass, especially compared to that particular Exmark deck.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ht=triton+deck

The larger decks were fine.

I know gravely is one of the larger sponsors for this site (not sure why), but I had an Ariens 48" ztr and the hydros were already going bad at 540 hours and it would only go up inclines at 1/4 speed. I think it had a 20hp briggs, but i could be wrong about that, its been two years since I somehow sold it.

Go talk to a local dealer, preferably one that sells both machines.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 11-29-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

I know gravely is one of the larger sponsors for this site (not sure why), but I had an Ariens 48" ztr and the hydros were already going bad at 540 hours and it would only go up inclines at 1/4 speed. I think it had a 20hp briggs, but i could be wrong about that, its been two years since I somehow sold it.

-Michael
60",66"&72" tritons were decent. I had a 60" and my dad has my 72" that I didn't need. Anything smaller were crap. I sold a bagger system to a guy who had a 56" triton. He spent nearly every hour with the dealer, rep or someone from exmark. Made them buy it back. He had to pay several grand to hp back to a 52" tri vantage. So a 7500 mower cost over 11 grand.

You can't compare a 757 to a residential mower. Also ridin green can stripe the crap out of his deere 240 tractor mower. I can make great stripes as well with my residential Deeres. It takes time, patients and know how.

OP you may even want to think about a new 920. Since your going to finance you will get a better % making the payment equal or less than a used mower. Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im sure there's more than two mowers in your area for sale that would be good. Check eBay within 100 miles under the tag "commercial mower" and check craigslist for all mowers.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

-Michael
Gravely is a full commercial mower and Ariens is high end home owner mower. You cant compare the two. Demo a Gravely 400 series and you will buy one!!

To the OP. If you cut in wet conditions buy the JD. Exmark cuts great in good conditions. But if the grass is wet or thick forget about it. The JD cuts good in all conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
save yourself some money and get yourself gravely zt hd. I have had an exmark lazer and a scag and I would rather have the gravely than an exmark any day! Commercial quality, homeowner unit price. Bought one at the end of the 2011 growing season, it now has about 450 hrs, no problems at all. "Gravely puts other mowers in the grave" haha
I looked at those and they come real close to being a full commercial unit. I just don't like the 1/2 inch cutting increment and a few other things like lighter duty trans and skinnier tires, but for an owner operator like myself I think it would hold up fine. But please give me 1/4 inch deck adjustment!

The guys around me hated even the 60 inch Tritons. The were all selling them after 1 or 2 seasons saying Ultracut, Ultracut, Ultracut!!!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I looked at those and they come real close to being a full commercial unit. I just don't like the 1/2 inch cutting increment and a few other things like lighter duty trans and skinnier tires, but for an owner operator like myself I think it would hold up fine. But please give me 1/4 inch deck adjustment!

The guys around me hated even the 60 inch Tritons. The were all selling them after 1 or 2 seasons saying Ultracut, Ultracut, Ultracut!!!!!
I agree it would be better to have 1/4" incraments, but Im willing to sacrifice that for the price. I grabbed mine in 2011 for 5k. You just cant beat the gravely in all around performance, price, and sturdyness. They are highly under rated in my opinion. I will preach gravely till I find something better.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, very good value and quality. I don't think I'd turn a HD over to a crew of "kids" though.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry i am so late getting back to everyone. The deere is a comerical unitit just has not been used commerically. The dealer will not budge on the price. The exmark has 1430 hrs. The dealer let me take it and demo it, will need new back tires and a new seat but he will not come off of $2500 I bid $2000 and came back at $2200 but he will not budge. What should i do? Keep looking or jump on this deal at $2500?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just keep looking. You have time. It's not that early or late depending on how you look at it. I myself has always made mistakes when buying the first thing I see when I'm looking for things to purchase
Posted via Mobile Device