Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2011, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think you can turn up the worktunes loud enough to hurt your ears. Mine just sound nice, and usually I only listen to them at about 25% volume.

Now, the new in ear deals can get so loud it about blows my head off. And that is not a good loud, it is a treable high pitch loud.

My E-450 Dovetail Van project thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7
Old 08-13-2011, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetree View Post
I use the Work Tunes as well and they are very good at reducing noise level, however, I don't use the radio feature to listen to music because it would just be trading the music noise for the mower noise ... in other words, why block out 25 decibals of mower noise for 25 decibals of music noise !!
You raise a good point. I wear my peltor H10A external muffs -30db on top of my shure SE425 In Ear Monitors also -25db. Without the external added layer of the muffs on top of the Shure IEM's YOU WILL BE raising the volume to hear clearly thus hearing damage will happen. We loose our hearing on gradual.basis constantly. Even my own dad who.is in his mid 80's say the noise of a mower doesn't bother him nor does the shrill noise of a table.saw. But the fact remains he is going deaf. His TV volume is blasting as well as his speaker phone. Dispite being a high level former big brain math teacher whiz. The issue and.facts of accumulative hearing loss is lost on him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2011, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This post inspired me to try something with my iPod and earphones. I use the squeeze and stick in your ear before they pop back out ear plugs and I just put my phones over them on wide open and I could hear the music pretty good. It beats the boredom of riding on a mower with nothing.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I use skullcandy in ear buds. they fit in the ear canal and come with three different sizes of ear pieces. got mine for $20 at best buy
Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

There are a couple "Work Tunes" on Amazon...which ones?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-H...ords=worktunes
3M TEKK WorkTunes Hearing Protector, MP3 Compatible with AM/FM Tuner
$43

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...dp/B001T7QJ9O/
3M Peltor WorkTunes Digital Hearing Protector, MP3 Compatible with AM/FM Tuner
$66

Saw these too:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...=R-01526Howard
Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff
$45
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The peltor ones my man. The green ones do not have radio. Only mp3 plug in. The beauty remains in wire less use in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the 3M TEKK worktunes for the past two seasons but they are starting to fall apart on me now. Im sure i've dropped on driveways or streets more than 30 times and all that ever broke on the exterior was battery cover this past Fall when it was 48 degrees out. I can't blame the plastic for that, i wanted to just break and call it a day (it was the first cold day I had to mow this Fall). I felt that they worked well and were worth the $50 I paid for them, now Lowe's sells them for $60.

I think I may try a pair of the Elvex headphones, does anyone have a recommendation on the exact model?

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
JS46 22" walk-behind (wouldn't recommend)
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Husqvarna 130BT blower
Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
I think I may try a pair of the Elvex headphones, does anyone have a recommendation on the exact model?

-Michael
I like the Elvex com-610 (com-611 and com-612 are the same, only without volume limiter). You must plug you own radio/cd player/mp3 player into them. They have a volume knob, which, along with the plug, is the weak point--keep it out of the rain. They sound great and are durable and cost about $65. You can also buy a model with a built in radio (com-666). I've never tried it. I got about 4 years out of my first com-610, used daily, and bought another.

Don't buy an older Elvex model with a plastic headband instead of the newer wire ones. The plastic looses it's tension (especially in 100 degree heat and sun) and lets in more noise. I had one about 10 years ago, and the band broke within 2 years. Elvex replaced it for free, but it never worked as good as the newer design.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The work tunes flat out suck!!!! What are so many of you talking about how great they are, they're junk!

Horrible tuning, heavy, hot, poor sound quality....

I gotta do some research on a good bluetooth set. The plug in is killing me.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Howard Leight Sync been using them for a month now and they are great. Don't know what I'm do this summer though as I am sure they will be to hot. They were $40 including shipping. http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/sync