Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone just sub out work?? own barely any equipment just sub everything ??
Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
how many employees do you have and how did you learn the things you know today??

do you ever work alongside the sub?

as far as bidding the job goes do you talk to the customer then later bring your guy over to see what he can do it for then give the price?
sorry for the delay in responding to you. Things have been pretty hectic the last few days.

At the peak of the season I have 17 guys. But bring on temporary labor when we have large jobs that require more unskilled labor. As far as how I learnt what I know, in high school I went to a trade school for arborculture and landscape, during that time I worked for a number of landscapers on install crews and in design. I took some time away from the industry but then returned and worked for two of the big national fert companies. Learnt what to do and not do from them. I then went and managed a branch for a national landscape distributor. What set me up for success the most was that I always seized every oportunity to take available courses and training I could to learn as much about the industry as I could. Eventually I got sick of telling guys how to properly do things and decided I could do better doing it myself and began subbing for them.

I work along the side some of my subs others we do not, but the important thing is to pay enough attention to how they do things as it will help make it easier for you on future proposals. I can met with a potential client and when discussing the ideas with them I can have some rough ideas of what my subs (pool, concrete, deck) will costs. I also have a rough idea on how long they should all take before I ever send the plans to them for their proposals.

As far as bidding goes, like I said above, some jobs I know about where the subs prices are before hand from previous jobs. I know what different fencing is per foot, cement per foot, different size gunite pools, etc. That atleast lets me get a ballpark price. Before I submit the actual proposal I send the design to the subs and have them provide a price, some need a site visit to give a price, others will just use my info and photos. If it is something new that I am not comfortable with, then I will meet with the sub onsite before hand and go over the ideas with them. Some subs need to meet the client, some dont, but this depends on the scope of the work.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have had nothing but trouble out of subs thus far, just yesterday I had a tree sub go behind my back and while cleaning up he went to the customer to "COLLECT HIS PAY" the customer called me and told me she had paid for the work he did, he was under directions NOT to collect from the customer, all invoicing would be done by me, for markup reasons obviously. I called him and ask him what the hell he thought he was doing, his reply, getting paid. Needless to say he won't be getting anymore work from us.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Green,

Do you have contracts with your subs specifying payment agreements etc etc.? Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I have had nothing but trouble out of subs thus far, just yesterday I had a tree sub go behind my back and while cleaning up he went to the customer to "COLLECT HIS PAY" the customer called me and told me she had paid for the work he did, he was under directions NOT to collect from the customer, all invoicing would be done by me, for markup reasons obviously. I called him and ask him what the hell he thought he was doing, his reply, getting paid. Needless to say he won't be getting anymore work from us.
wow ! no offence in asking this was he hispanic or white??

did you check his credentials making sure he was ins, certified etc??

and by him thinking about that extra 50 bucks he prob made on that job prob cost him thousands in work from you and im sure you will never recomend him again
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a small company around here that subs out most of their mowing
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Jow do they even make money off that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only time i have gotten kickbacks is when the work was nothing to do with what i did. I take care of what is now 200 acres of undeveloped land that gets about 10 houses put on it a year. I got my old high school coach who now owns a construction company the contract to develop the whole development. He gives me 5% of anything he makes in the development for the next 5 years. Not because i asked him to but because its a respect thing. THis development will make him millions over the next couple years that he would have not made without me. On top of that i get all of the dirt work, landscaping, and sod. The sod i will more then likely sub out haven't checked into how much it cost to buy or own the machine to move the big rolls.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringahding View Post
Since February the phone has been ringing off the hook! Jobs we could do, we had NO time to do. So I too had to come up with a plan, idea to service these calls. I am not one to leave jobs on the table, but have no problem saying no.

Building connections with actual owners relating to our industry has benefited me personally and them as well.

Leads I get will either be forwarded to a "Partner", in exchange for $$$ or help on properties we service or services they do not provide will be sent to us.

The up sell has been endless & rewarding for all of us at the same time. Getting your ducks in a row is a challenge. You will get burnt a couple times when reaching out to another owner, but the weeding out process is that of hiring an employee or getting rid of the bad paying customer.

Once you find others you can trust it needs to be in writing that there is "No Compete" in each others area.

Landscaping speak: Do you normally ask the customer for 1/2 the $$$ down before any work is to begin? Okay, get half of the $$$ from the sub for your lead then or some compensation. No excuses! !
I was gonna put something but I misread so I'm retracting my statement.

Last edited by JCLawn and more; 12-06-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
There is a small company around here that subs out most of their mowing
Can't be making much, the profit margin is too low in this line of work, but I'm sure that it's not where he makes his money it's just another source of income.