Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

When we first got the 997 we noticed the left front wheel wobbled at transport speed on the driveway. But, it being spring and with 113 acres to keep mowed, we didn't give it much thought. By the time we had 100 or so hours on it the tire tread was gone from it wobbling and spinning around. We mentioned it to the dealer when we went to get blades and we were told that we should have told them when we first got it. They pulled the assembly and stated that it was bent. Now keep in mind this is a 2 inch forged steel shaft. They never accused us of bending it( you would have to drop the 1800 lb. mower about twenty feet onto the front wheel to cause it to bend), but just stated it wouldn't be covered under warranty because we didn't bring it to there attention when we first noticed a problem?! We spoke to a factory rep and I asked him about it and he stated that he would "take a look at it", but he never got back to us on it. We then started having the same issue with the other front wheel, so we took it and they looked at it and found no problem. About a month later the bearings went out on that wheel and it destroyed the races so badly they could not replace them. Had to put a whole new bearing housing on the front end for $1100.00! They said it looked like we hit a curb with it. We live on a farm, there are no curbs! Then one of the quick release bolts on the ROP stripped out and we were told that stripped bolts are not covered!? So, basically, nothing is covered on a new John Deere! But they were quick to let us know that the new ones come with a 3 year warranty! I love the mowers cut and the power is great, but when I spend $15000.00 on a piece of equipment I don't want to hear excuses about my warranty not covering something because we didn't tell them in time?! What, is this a game? If you didn't tell me when you first saw it, it isn't covered....And then for the factory rep to just blow us off....I'm looking for something else that has a REAL WARRANTY! JD can kiss my money goodbye!!