Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Converting a dethatcher to a slit seeder

My old classen tr-20 dethatcher's engine blew up last spring. I replaced it with a new husqvarna model. But I was going to replace the engine on the old one this off season and have 2 machines. But I think I'm going to convert it to a slit seeder. From what I can tell, it's just a matter of switching the flails to knife blades.

But then there's the seeder box. I was talking to a colleague who does slit seeding, and his machine is a converted dethatcher as well. He said he seeds the lawn first with his spreader, then uses the slit seeder machine over the seeded lawn, and that it works fine. I'm kinda skeptical about that. Is the box really necessary, can I do what he does? Or does the seeder box attached to the machine really make the difference? And has anyone ever done the conversion and added the box?

After the crazy drought conditions last year, there are still a ton of lawns in this area that are dead in big areas. Lots of sodded lawns that have wide areas just plain dead. I'm hoping to take advantage of that this spring with this slit seeder.