Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is the deal with kubota they let anybody be certified so a hopper dealed is usually always kubota certified... here is the deal with badboy... they do things waay different. They throw alot of mower in for the price and dont add alot of extras into the price. For example the badboy offers a 4 cylinder 35hp engine 18 gallon tanks, 5 guage deck, 4 rail frame, a better ride than most with the grammer standard and then the suspension system, 15mph for $13499. No mower company is perfect, but they all have neat things to offer different from everyone else. To alot of shoppers here the badboy completely blows away when comparing then the price is better. If financing the bota seems better cause the 0% for 60, but then they eat ur arm off on parts and service. Hopper benefit is the resale. I have seen a hopper bought for $12000. And 3 years later bring $10000. I personally bought a 722d, used it for 400 hours and sold it to a guy in north carolina and made $1000... hopper seems to look better than other mowers after used due to the color. Scag, gravely, badboy kubota exmark, hustler, bobcat, etc seem to look rougher after used commercially mainly cause the bright paints i guess. To some people here the hopper is the better buy, to some the badboy. We sold more badboys this year than anyone in the world, so they do better than any brand here by a long shot in volume sales, if i was a betting man i would bet i am up there in volume as one of the largest dealers around because i sell so many badboys alone. Another thing to consider is cat not letting dealers do warranty so an engine warranty has to go through cat. I have only had one issue in 5 years it was a governor, but peace of mind if something does break... i think bagging the hopper 25b is a huge catcher and prolly one of the best out, just delivered one last week. Here when people demo the mowers they go back to the badboy alot due to the ride, open access to unit, options, build, grammer seat standard, and speed. Things that turn off are the race car look, all the publicity they get (more publicity is not always good as they are one of the most talked about brands right now), the way you will buy mower this year and it will have improvements next (they refine it seems yearly due to listening to feedback heavily). Grasshopper is the oldest commercial mower here in operation, they have a huge cult following here, i was mangling our market with the badboys with huge focus on speed in shop, price, parts, and customer service. I chose hopper for a high end line to build the market back up for them sense they were already strong here, plus they have amazing warranty now and great financing options. I have everyone wanting me to carry their mowers now, but i favored the grasshopper when demoing over the exmark, toro, scag, gravely, etc. They are so different of a mower than the streamline brands its crazy, where badboy eats all their lunch in value when comparing and i didnt want the same ole thing...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
To this whole gearbox thing I got 900 hrs on mine. Its called changing the oil. After the first 50hrs after buying a new one, and 400hrs there after. Then if he would of got the 4yr waranty then he would of not had to payfor it.
Posted via Mobile Device
The bottom line is, I don't hear of other mowers having the same defect. I was looking for used Kubota's on Craigslist and found three that were being sold with broken deck gearboxes.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
The bottom line is, I don't hear of other mowers having the same defect. I was looking for used Kubota's on Craigslist and found three that were being sold with broken deck gearboxes.
That's because only grasshopper, jd, and kubota have gear boxes. My GH blew it at 1600 hrs along with the drive shaft, bearing, and the main shaft. Price tag for that is close to a grand and add the pto clutch that went out to that's over a grand. 997 I don't know enough about to say.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Going back to publicity i scanned facebook just now. Badboy has 6900 likes, bota 10, exmark and scag had 4900, grasshopper i cant member but seems like it was less than 1000, hustler had 1000, etc. Online and in the market badboy is talked about more than any other brand has ever been, and the company grows every year including last year that was a horrible drought year. I know facebook not everyone uses, but that is just one media outlet to compare. I see badboy commercials during the dallas cowboys, at the rangers games, on nascar, during pbr rodeos, i think they have one the more agressive marketing programs the industry has ever seen. Again high publicity has both positive and negative, there are companies that stay out of the limelight therefore we dont hear negatives alot like zipper, walker, kawasaki handhelds...etc.. should have just pm'd webel...i am long winded lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by retrodog; 12-02-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
That's because only grasshopper, jd, and kubota have gear boxes. My GH blew it at 1600 hrs along with the drive shaft, bearing, and the main shaft. Price tag for that is close to a grand and add the pto clutch that went out to that's over a grand. 997 I don't know enough about to say.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats what bothers me about different dealers pricing, gearbox is $227, shaft is around $150, those bearings are $11.99 there is 2 of them, hour of labor, and the clutch is $200 to $320the depending on which one u had... repair should've been like $700 to $800 or so...

Last edited by retrodog; 12-02-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats what bothers me about different dealers pricing, gearbox is $227, shaft is around $150, those bearings are $11.99 there is 2 of them, hour of labor, and the clutch is $200 to $320the depending on which one u had... repair should've been like $700 to $800 or so...
Plus the main shaft that runs front to back which was like $120 or something, plus shipping and taxes, and driving to the dealer back and forth because it all went out over a 100 hour period. What I'm getting at is one gear box even at 1500 or so hrs is better than that or an engine on a gas mower and this is the first I've heard of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Going back to publicity i scanned facebook just now. Badboy has 6900 likes, bota 10, exmark and scag had 4900, grasshopper i cant member but seems like it was less than 1000, hustler had 1000, etc. Online and in the market badboy is talked about more than any other brand has ever been, and the company grows every year including last year that was a horrible drought year. I know facebook not everyone uses, but that is just one media outlet to compare. I see badboy commercials during the dallas cowboys, at the rangers games, on nascar, during pbr rodeos, i think they have one the more agressive marketing programs the industry has ever seen. Again high publicity has both positive and negative, there are companies that stay out of the limelight therefore we dont hear negatives alot like zipper, walker, kawasaki handhelds...etc.. should have just pm'd webel...i am long winded lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Bb must be a very regional brand as nobody has them in mn and dealers quit carrying them. Heck tsc doesn't have them up here. Bb is a price point mower and you know how to sell them.

Your fb market count is a bit off compared to the actually end user. How many established lco's do you think use fb? The established company is what trend you want to have and I bet most (including me) don't like mfg of fb. I know my dealers and mfg rep number and they recognize the number when I call. Don't need fb.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have gotten alot of biz off facebook. A ton of folks said they came in cause they noticed us on their friends list. I would highly recommend it as a secondary marketing. We are giving away a free ztr during our open house in april and its already getting around fb...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

The closest BB dealer to me is about 90-100 miles....darn!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Bb must be a very regional brand as nobody has them in mn and dealers quit carrying them. Heck tsc doesn't have them up here. Bb is a price point mower and you know how to sell them.

Your fb market count is a bit off compared to the actually end user. How many established lco's do you think use fb? The established company is what trend you want to have and I bet most (including me) don't like mfg of fb. I know my dealers and mfg rep number and they recognize the number when I call. Don't need fb.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think the thing that should be pointed out about your statement "Bad Boy is a price point mower" is, to me, that insinuates that "Bad Boy" is made cheaper... and that's just not the case at all.

The fact that is, Bad Boy is built every bit as heavy (and in a lot of cases, heavier) than the competition ....all the way from very the bottom of the line (that you see at TSC) to the very top of the line (powered by a Caterpillar diesel engine). It's just that they are "priced" cheaper than the competition's equally built mower.

My Lightning isn't even the "top of the line" Bad Boy and it still sold for 8400.00 in 2009, so you can't say that Bad Boy is a "price point" mower, meaning they're "cheap". The insinuation that "BB's are built cheaper" just isn't accurate. It's just that, you can take whatever money you DO have to spend, and buy more machine from BB than from the competition.

As I've said before, one of my sons has a 260 Gravely and I like Gravely. But when you park his machine beside mine, it's clear at a glance which is built the heaviest....and mine has a LC 26 Kaw while his has an AC 26 Kaw. The fact is also that the Gravely lists for more than my BB listed for.

What is accurate is the fact that in my case, I bought a whole lot more mower for 8400.00 than any other brand I looked at....and I looked at a lot.