Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
Stonebridge--it works for you. I m happy for you. Mulching generally doesn't work here in New England because of the volume of leaves on the properties. I tell people that cleaning leaves requires a multi system approach and depending on the weather, leaf type, and volume this should help you choose how to clean things up most efficiently
i agree, whatever works, works. im solo so raking, hauling leaves don't benefit me, and i can blow and mulch a yard faster than raking and hauling away to a dump. but everybody and every area is different.
6' 1/2 x 14' open trailer
60''/25hp John Deere 757 zero turn
54"/23hp John Deere 657 stander
48''/17hp John Deere 7H17 walk behind
22"/6.5hp Honda HRT216 push
22''/6.5hp Toro Personnal Pace push
19"/4hp Bluebird aerator
2 Echo trimmers, 3 blowers, 1 hedge trimmer
1 Husqvarna trimmer/edger/hedger/pole saw
14'' Stihl TS400 concrete saw
and a bunch of other crap a solo operator needs
Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebridge View Post
i agree, whatever works, works. im solo so raking, hauling leaves don't benefit me, and i can blow and mulch a yard faster than raking and hauling away to a dump. but everybody and every area is different.
I agree! there are three of us so raking and hauling away leaves isn't an option, not to mention the extra you have to charge for dump fee's, most people don't want to pay it. Truly, I can't see any professional LCO worth his weight raking leaves.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I can't see any professional LCO worth his weight raking leaves.
Your killin' me !!!

It's a big world guy. Just because you "can't see it" from the vantage point of Greenville, South Carolina doesn't mean it's not out there.

Here, we have town trucks come through every two weeks with giant tow behind leaf loaders and a 4 man crew on the ground. They remove any leaves that we can get to the curb. We blow, rake, tarp and bag them, get them to the curb, and drive away.

Also, there are many "professional LCO's around the country that are not solo guys, or 3 or 4 guys, that work for high end customers. These people would never tolerate mulching leaves until they "disappear". They will pay whatever is necessary, to whatever professional LCO that wants to do it, to have them hauled away.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Feenan View Post
Your killin' me !!!

It's a big world guy. Just because you "can't see it" from the vantage point of Greenville, South Carolina doesn't mean it's not out there.

Here, we have town trucks come through every two weeks with giant tow behind leaf loaders and a 4 man crew on the ground. They remove any leaves that we can get to the curb. We blow, rake, tarp and bag them, get them to the curb, and drive away.

Also, there are many "professional LCO's around the country that are not solo guys, or 3 or 4 guys, that work for high end customers. These people would never tolerate mulching leaves until they "disappear". They will pay whatever is necessary, to whatever professional LCO that wants to do it, to have them hauled away.
We may be behind down here in the south, but we're not that far behind LOL we have the same trucks, why bag if they have a vacuum? I have several high end clients myself, and they don't care how you get rid of the leaves just get rid of the leaves, how I do it is up to me, I'm the owner of my business and it's my business as to know how to get up the leaves in an efficent manner, like I said earlier once we're done you don't know if they were raked mulched or blown unless you saw us doing it. I've not had nothing but great job comments from all my customers so far even the high end ones, if done properly you can't tell. we just make sure the leaves don't build up to where we are forced to rake and tarp.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 12-02-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a few properties that shed a good amount of leaves. I can usually keep up with them just about the time the grass has all but stopped growing. That's when the bagger gets put on the mower. After that, I ride around backwards looking dumb going all over the place on the lawn busting up the leaves. Once I've covered most of the lawn, I start bagging them up. I've backed over 2-3ft piles and the back of the deck just sucks them right in. I do worry that the leaves might pile up and get on the muffler. I've had to put two fires out from leaves dropping on the muffler when dumping the bags!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do mostly city size lots, but a few larger corner lots. I use walk behinds for everything, I let the bagger fill up and then go over everything mulching up the leaves with the bagger full. Then I empty the bagger and bag everything up. It condenses the leaves one hell of alot. Rarely get the rake off the trailer, but in tight spots once in a while I use it a little. I do around 30 accounts, but I have another full time job with insurance. You can use walk behinds, but if you are doing any large commercials, or acerage, you nee a rider with a proper vac system.

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any bagger without an impeller will do about the same, and it will be a slow process.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership

Tags
bagging , ferris , leaf clean ups , leaf removal , wright