Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
rcreech is a lost cause. No offense but you haven't proven anyone wrong, just your opinion.

I'm going to repost my original question so we can get back on task about what this thread was about in the first place. For the majority of those in our industry that provide six apps.

We have a six step turf program, most go with the standard six. Some customers want five so only one summer app instead of two, then there are customers with a taste for wine on a beer budget. They want three or four apps. That's fine save money I get it, but here is my question. Tell me if you agree.

I couldn't figure out years ago why some companies would not give a early fall app to these customers when it's the best time for weed control. They would give a spring, summer, and winterizer. I finally got on board with the same program for these accounts because I don't feel it's fair to give them the "premium" apps i.e. blanket spray and fert when it is the most time consuming round and most expensive. It doesn't seem fair to have all the work load to hire a couple of extra guys April through May and September through October. With less work and revenue through the summer so they can save money. The way I look at it is these people don't care enough about they're turf to get the full program so give them a little weed control & rounds 1 & 6. Thoughts?
There is no such thing as "Right" or "Wrong", therefore you can never be proven wrong... nothing wrong with dumping stuff on lawns during the 3 month drought... nothing right with providing the client with what he's expecting to get for his money...

No!!! it's all about what's fair to me and my guys...
?!?I'm not supposed to make them pay for unnecessary apps during the drought of the typical Summer???

Maybe you don't think that anything is 'right' about professional courtesy, but I have to tell you,,, that your kind of"LCO",,, I openly mock with every h.o., whenever the subject the subject comes up...

When I saw apps being made and duststorms being mowed, this Summer,, I went out of my way to call it a rip-off... and stupid...
Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bashing,,, is just hyperbole with no rationale or logical content... like name calling...

Being critical of what others are doing and having reasons for it,,, logically laid out in a coherent fashion that should be understandable to everyone,,, is what is known as "debate" and contending for what is right...

When you believe that you have the 'right' to be wrong and there is no reason for it other than evil intent, then you are beyond understanding how to function in the real world... the politically correct worldviewmakes people stupid and unable to see why...

If anyones' feelings are hurt then you will likely lashout and start bashing, becuz PC boys and girls cannot debate and understand why somethings are right and some things are wrong...

America's New World, is the old 3rd world...
Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
Iíve met some great professors from Ohio State University and they would disagree with you. They kind of wrote the bible for turf care in your state. I would go to some of their training courses. Best of luck
I am not trying to say who is right and who is wrong. You can provide 12 apps for all I care...but they are not needed.

Where you are wrong is thinking OSU promotes 6 applications. Look at both Purdue and OSU and they both recommend 2-5 applications and say to be careful when going over 4.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1191.html

Where do you see OSU promoting 6 applications?

I have asked you several times...but please explain how you applied your two summer applications during the three month drought and what you applied to improve your customers lawn.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I offer 6 applications but was only able to do 5 this year due to the drought. The 1 summer app did not have fertilizer applied but was more of a spot spray for cg, nutsedge, and what ever broadleaf popped up. I offer 6 because in my experience I would like to be on the lawn as frequent as possible to check for damage and the over all status of the lawn.

For the customers that get 4 apps, I do the 2 spring and 2 fall routine. 3 apps I would go 1 spring, and 2 fall. Neither get free service calls or get to pick when I show up. I still give them the premium apps because my sign still goes in their lawn and I am still trying to give them the most bang for their buck.

I agree with making agronomic decisions over monetary decisions but I am still running a business that I need to be able to sustain. There is a balance there that kept me in business this year. I have 280 customers and if I would have cut out 2 applications instead of 1 I would be out of business. I cut 1 due to agronomics, I kept 1 due to finances. I still feel like I did the right thing.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
I offer 6 applications but was only able to do 5 this year due to the drought. The 1 summer app did not have fertilizer applied but was more of a spot spray for cg, nutsedge, and what ever broadleaf popped up. I offer 6 because in my experience I would like to be on the lawn as frequent as possible to check for damage and the over all status of the lawn.

For the customers that get 4 apps, I do the 2 spring and 2 fall routine. 3 apps I would go 1 spring, and 2 fall. Neither get free service calls or get to pick when I show up. I still give them the premium apps because my sign still goes in their lawn and I am still trying to give them the most bang for their buck.

I agree with making agronomic decisions over monetary decisions but I am still running a business that I need to be able to sustain. There is a balance there that kept me in business this year. I have 280 customers and if I would have cut out 2 applications instead of 1 I would be out of business. I cut 1 due to agronomics, I kept 1 due to finances. I still feel like I did the right thing.
What you just stated makes perfect sense! You have to look at the conditions and react.

We spray for nutsedge, crabgrass and summer annuals but it is an additional charge (unless we do it in combination with grub).

But my main point is like you. If a person is paying for four apps...why cut them on weed control just to make you 6 app program look better. You can have a stout program with 4 apps and I would argue with anyone that says there is a big difference in 4 and 6 apps here in OH as spotting a few weeds is hard to even be noticed.

Nitro says there is practically night and day difference in 4 and 6 apps. I would argue that all day!!!

I have an awesome business that is based on 4 apps or I wouldn't say this.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My preferred programs are 4 or 5 app programs. Some only want 2 or 3 apps. Only reasoning being they are cheap. Want their cake and want to eat it too.

I do these 2 or 3 apps at the best times of the season however. I cannot risk my reputation by doing apps at the least opportune times, leaving lawns a mess. The one thing these 'cheap' customers are NOT getting is consistent attention from me the WHOLE season. They WILL get summer annuals, etc cropping up and I will not be there enough to control them. They are made aware of this when the agree to terms.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

one way to handle this is to provide no free resprays or service calls for short ap customer. Or ...provide a shortend guarantee--say 14 days.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1191.html
Where do you see OSU promoting 6 applications?
I have asked you several times...but please explain how you applied your two summer applications during the three month drought and what you applied to improve your customers lawn.

Please answer the simple questions above

You have yet to answer any questions

If u make comments and can not back them up please don't post them

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Merry Christmas Rod. If you PM me your address, Ill send you a huge wooden spoon to help you stir the pot more.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Effeciency

Save the postage!
You may call it stirring the pot but I call it holding people accountable for what they say.

This doesn't involve u so why r u even getting involved. U r the pot stir man!

He hasn't answered b cuz there is no good answer for my queations.

He will not find anywhere OSU or PURDUE stated to apply 6 apps as he said and there is nothing he could have applied June through August to improve the lawn other then water!

All I asking for is two simple questions to be answered.

Why r u even getting involved. Cant Nitroman take care of it himself?

Posted via Mobile Device