Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you have full replacement insurance dont file.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say go for it .. Phoenix Rises from the Ashes .. I know how you feel when you wanna take something that was destroyed and make it new again .

Id take the pumps and wheel motors and have them re-built if needed. Have the hydro shop make new hoses .(cheaper than buying from dealer.)

Id have it sand blasted and powder coated or painted .

New wiring harness is gonna be about $300
New seat $400 plus
Fuel tanks ??
Replace the tires and repaint rims
New engine 1500 Plus
The deck is steel and id venture to say its still fine other that anti-scalp rollers and belts , and pulleys..

Have fun and post pics.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I personally wouldn't rebuild it.

Mainly from the standpoint of not only the time and effort in rebuilding it, but also the fact that the heat did a number on any metal parts that are left.

Wouldn't be surprised if it especially warped the frame.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You should have let the people from Scag inspect it before you took it apart...
Might have been a Mfr defect that caused the meltdown...possibly a FREE mower....
Look around for used or damaged mowers to cannibalize to fix your flame tempered mower...
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I was curious if you had any idea what caused the fire..
Old 12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

White gardens is right the remaining metal if it did not get bent or melted definitely had been severely weakened due to fire. I would advise against rebuilding even though it seems like a cool idea. Im a firefighter and would recommend a ABC fire extinguisher because that will work better and will do better job on grass and electricial components. And buy the biggest fire extinguisher that u can fit on mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi laman - I don't honestly know. It is pretty dry in my part of FL now. The fire dept guys told me that mower fires do tend to happen around here starting this time of year through Jan (they "dry" season in FL). I don't know all that much about how flammable the hydro fluid is (20w50 oil). If some fluid ignited I'd think it had to be gas. There is a hole in the front of the aluminum block on the engine big enough to stick your fist through. It was from the front of the engine that I first saw the flames, but it could have been coming up from under the engine. I had mowed through a "woody" area. It is possible that a stick or small branch got run over and wedged near a pulley or belt and perhaps some friction caused it. Again, I honestly do not know.

On a separate note, I have hooked up with a guy that has a small landscaping business. He has a Tiger Cub that was involved in a highway accident while it was on his trailer. His insurance company paid for the trailer but did not cover what was on it. The SCAG ended up being hit by a truck and the frame is bent. His Cub only has about 800 hours on it. He is actually interested in my frame! Only thing I don't like about his Cub is that it has a Kawi and mine had a Kholer. He has since brought a 61 inch SCAG that he uses now. He said though that he has some small fenced properties that were perfect for his Cub. He has laughed at some low-ball offers of $300. He said he would sell it to me for $1000 or possibly buy my frame. He is sending me some pictures. We'll see where this goes.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

About the metal fatigue from the heat. There is no doubt that the heat was intense. I could feel it from across a street. While it seemed like it was engulfed in flames for an eternity it was only a matter of minutes. The Fire Control District Report reads this:

Alarm: 11/30/2012 - 11:40:00 AM
Arrival: 11/30/2012 - 11:49:00 AM
Controlled: 11/30/2012 - 11:51:00 AM
Last Unit: 11/30/2012 - 12:14:00 PM

So while the heat was intense and burned all the plastic and rubber it did not last all that long. As I understand it steel subjected to intense heat for a prolonged period of time is what weakens it. It may be wishful thinking on my part but I don't think this was anything close to a prolonged period of intense heat and we are talking about some pretty thick steel here.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm123a View Post
About the metal fatigue from the heat. There is no doubt that the heat was intense. I could feel it from across a street. While it seemed like it was engulfed in flames for an eternity it was only a matter of minutes. The Fire Control District Report reads this:

Alarm: 11/30/2012 - 11:40:00 AM
Arrival: 11/30/2012 - 11:49:00 AM
Controlled: 11/30/2012 - 11:51:00 AM
Last Unit: 11/30/2012 - 12:14:00 PM

So while the heat was intense and burned all the plastic and rubber it did not last all that long. As I understand it steel subjected to intense heat for a prolonged period of time is what weakens it. It may be wishful thinking on my part but I don't think this was anything close to a prolonged period of intense heat and we are talking about some pretty thick steel here.
Assuming it only took you 1 minute to call in the alarm, ans another minute for the dispatcher to relay it to the station, your mower would be exposed to the heat for approximately 13 minutes. Gasoline fire temperatures range from 1650 F to 2280 F. Even if you use the lower figure, that's a lot of heat that your frame was exposed to. I'm not a metallurgist but I would be concerned about the frame integrity. These mowers are exposed to a lot of harsh terrain. Could be a problem.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats still alot of exposure to high heat which it was not engineered to take. I would scrap the frame personally. If you wish to use the frame I would recommend speaking to someone more knowledgeable on this subject before you spend money on it. Your dealer or a scag rep would probably be good or a welder.
Posted via Mobile Device