Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tough Decision: Do I Allow Seasonal Unemployment?

Work is going to come to an end soon and I have two employees that are asking me what the options are...should i make them get another job for the 2.5 months until next season or should i allow unemployment?...they also wouldn't be available for snow removal (if it ever snows again) if they did get another job...i've just never been through this and am not very educated on unemployment
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You do not get to allow their unemployment. It is something they pay into and if they meet the conditions than it is their right to use it. It is a state issue and only they get to decide the eligibility. What you can do is fight it if you feel they are obtaining it fraudulently like in working another job or padding dates etc.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As stated above, you don't get to allow unemployment, simply put, they either work for you or they don't. If they don't they have e right to try and collect unemployment and/or go get another job they they choose to. You have zero control over that, unless you keep them employeed but at reduced hours per week then they might be able to collect a partial unemployment
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your employees will need to check with the state to see whether they even qualify for seasonal unemployment. Last I knew, there are 10+ states that have closed the ability to collect for anticipated seasonal unemployment, usually based on time-frame or industry. For some states, landscaping is exempt from the seasonal classification. Essentially, for recurring, seasonal unemployment scenarios, the employees knew what they were getting into when they took the job, so that gap in employment is now on them.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i guess what i'm asking is is it normal practice for unemployment for the 3 months or so for good employees, or do most push for their employees to get a job to get them by for the time being...

what do you guys do?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Pay careful attention to this answer/question. Have YOU been paying into unemployment?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
yeah i guess what i'm asking is is it normal practice for unemployment for the 3 months or so for good employees, or do most push for their employees to get a job to get them by for the time being...

what do you guys do?
Unless you want them to be good employees for someone else, allow them to collect. You also mentioned snow plowing, is that something you could expand into to supplement their unemployment?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Me personally, if an employer laid me off and then tried to dictate what I did or didn't do for those three months, I'd probably be going back to work for someone else in the spring.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My state allows a person to pick up temp work while collecting UI.

For every day you work you lose 25% of your weekly benefit.

So when you file your weekly report all they ask is did you work any days during this period. So if you worked 3 days you lost 75% of your weekly benefit. You are never asked how much you made or who you worked for.

When you file next week and asked did you work any days and you answer no you then get your full UI benefit.

So when it snows you could call them back for that one or two days per storm. You pay them on the books for those 2 days of work and they still stay on unemployment.

I guess the states logic letting you get your foot in the door some where with temp work may get you off UI quicker.

Edit to add temp work is you are not scheduled to go to work. You are hired to work a day or two during a benefit week, though you could be called in to work 5 days in a week. Though I sure that if you start telling the UI dept that you are working at least 4 days every week, after week will send up red flags to the UI dept.

Last edited by 32vld; 12-04-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post

what do you guys do?
Well technically, it is in your interest for your guys not to collect unemployment, it would be better if they got a job, however as stated that's not all your choice. It's theirs