Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Opening your company in multiple cities

Is there anyone out there that has opened there business in multiple locations thru out their state? We are looking at expanding and trying to look into the viability of being able to open another location about an hour and half away.
1996 S10
2006 Ford F150
PJ Trailers
2006 16ft Jacobsen hr 9016 mower
Ferris Mowers
Stihl Handhelds
Turfco Spray equipment
Ryan Aerators
New Holland skids
Cub cadet space savers
Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

That is what I started this past season, and it is a little painful on the wallet at first if you plan on doing a large portion of the work by yourself. Most of the expense is lost drive time and of course fuel. With growth like that will come growing pains it did for me.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

It's very tough, especially initially. The issue arises that you want to charge your first customers more, in order to compensate yourself for the trip out there. Unfortunately, it becomes very tough to get more business if you charge your only customers in the area a high rate.

When we began our expansion, we had to actually give discounts to our first customers, even though it really hurt the books for a couple of months.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm talking structured priced scale with a complete set of equipment and crew in another city. I have a Foreman who I've trained for over a year who would run one operation. I would focus on the second operation. Business is good but there's more out there. Feel like expansion is the only way to seriously cash in. This is new territory for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It is tough. No back up. I think you would be better off expanding where you are.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are well over 100 companies in New Castle County. I have 25 accounts after one full season within 15 minutes of my house. Just this past weekend I bought out another company one hour South of me in Dover that has 20 lawns. My goal is to get 6-10 more lawns in Dover so I have two full days there and to get another 5-15 lawns close to my house so I have 2-3 days of lawns locally.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump to top...this is an interesting thread.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

What would the foreman require from you? Would he be working there on full-time wages? Or would he remain local on the days where there wasn't enough work to warrant the trip?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuttingHedge View Post
What would the foreman require from you? Would he be working there on full-time wages? Or would he remain local on the days where there wasn't enough work to warrant the trip?
I was wondering the same thing. Paying him 3 hours of drive time per day. How many crews do you have to warrant an expansion? I would drive from my existing shop 1.5 hours if the margins were right. Starting a new location IMHO wouldn't be worth it unless my current market was pretty much tapped out or I had outgrown my current space and wanted to split into a new market area.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Paying him 3 hours of drive time per day. How many crews do you have to warrant an expansion? I would drive from my existing shop 1.5 hours if the margins were right. Starting a new location IMHO wouldn't be worth it unless my current market was pretty much tapped out or I had outgrown my current space and wanted to split into a new market area.
I think this is where I made my mistake. I had not tapped out the city I am in or the cities joining my home base. I went to the heavy populated areas first with hopes of getting several accounts to both cover the expense of the growth and have profit. I didn't get everything I had hoped for but working on some really huge accounts in the growth area now for next season. If you get the breaks you need and use the winter to get leads and put in bids anything is possible.