Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
If there was an assoc degree horticulture program avaible around here I would take it, along with some business classes. The closest I can get is a Master Gardeners program, which I want to take anyway. I want to know as much as possible about the industry and all it entails, I love learning new stuff. just wish I could get paid for it.
My school is about 6 miles away. I love it. Plus one of my plowing accounts is 1/10th mile away. I took some mid-upper accounting & business classes at UND and learned a fair amt, but there is always more to learn. Next year (after I'm done of course) they are creating a business class that focuses on lawn & landscape, greenhouse, retail, and wholesale business practices. I think I may tske it just for the heck of it and it never hurts to be able to learn from my teacher (that owns the high end install company) about biz practices, with accounting, bidding, etc. I know how to do it all already obviously but I would like to know how others go about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
As has already been posted the degree can get you the interview.

Chilehead, a person with a 4 year degree or even 5-6 year (masters) probably isn't looking to become an irrigation installer or laborer of any kind. And I agree when it comes to more of the labor type jobs you need someone who can do that job and has experience doing it. But they didn't know it all when they started......

Most of us, I didn't say all, are not going to college for 7 years to get a labor type job. Maybe we end up in a labor type industry but as managers or foreman. We are hoping this formal education will land us in jobs where we hire companies like the ones most of us run to do work for us or buy a $10,000 zero turn to mow our own lawn because we can afford it to blow $10 grand on a mower we don't need. The companies that hire in the jobs we get the degrees for use it in their hiring to eliminate a lot of wannabe's and unqualified people. Also many of the college kids I know, along with myself, spent a year or 2 doing internships to get that hands on experience. Most are unpaid but I've seen many business degree type jobs paying their interns low wages and training them for a year. Then once the person graduates they get a qualified individual who knows what they are doing but also has the knowledge base from college. Also when it comes to sales, that's more about personality than anything. But even most salespeople get good sales training.

Every friend of mine with a higher education, maybe even myself included, live pretty good lives. The ones that dropped out of high school or never went to college are either stuck at their job, can't get a better job, and have to punch a clock.

College isn't for everyone and no it's not needed to own a business.
The statement in bold is very true. For me as well. They may have made a few bucks more per hour right after high school but 5-10 yrs down the road when they're still making on $20/hr or salaried at $30,000 for their construction job, that's when it all pays off. I [had] a friend that made fun of me for starting a landscape company when that was his dream after high school and he thought he'd make it happen and that no one else can do it and his advertising plan was about 100 fliers into the newspaper box on some mailboxes, got 3 phone calls for mowing, gave up and then says "there's no money in it, it's stupid for you to even try". This was my 2nd year in business and my gross revenue grew about 600% from last year. He now works for an underground directional drilling company, he makes about $18.50/hr and he'll probably max out at $25/hr, he has no degree past high school, keep in mind, in MN that's about 8 months of work, at most! The most he could possibly make is about $40,000/yr.

He and a couple friends (who were at one point my friends and work the same low level jobs, one works retail, the other works for the same construction company and just graduated and has no intentions of going to school nor is he smart enough to do much else) try talking me down for going to school for Hort. & how I started out small with my business (who doesn't? his beliefs are that you must have a fleet of mowers, 20 ft trailer, & skid steer to start out) and all I can do is sit back and laugh because they have nothing to their names except a decent pickup and a girlfriend. He has total resentment for this industry because he failed miserably and I find it hilarious because I'm living his dream basically and it's just the start of my plans.

Granted, I will be selling my existing trailer in the spring/summer & buying an enclosed as well as selling my two WB's and buy a TTHP and then a Walker GHS after I get the first few decent sized installs completed for next year and pay off some CC's & student loans.

5-10 years down the road (planning on purchasing a franchise this year and I will manage it and have employes handle the ops and simultaneously run my business) when I have multiple properties as well as new dirtbikes, 5th wheel toy hauler, brand new diesel, take mult vacay's, spend the winters down south between racing and hanging out at my property down there that I'll be purchasing in the next few years, those morons will still be "clocking in" at 7am and "clocking out" when they leave the jobsite and going home in a worn out vehicle and going home to their crappy, outdated house.

They may [pretending to] be on top of the world, but it'll only take a short amount of time to show the results from the choices of those who chose not to go to college and have no chance of starting a business of their own.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
22 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

Last edited by JContracting; 12-03-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
The statement in bold is very true. For me as well. They may have made a few bucks more per hour right after high school but 5-10 yrs down the road when they're still making on $20/hr or salaried at $30,000 for their construction job, that's when it all pays off. I [had] a friend that made fun of me for starting a landscape company when that was his dream after high school and he thought he'd make it happen and that no one else can do it and his advertising plan was about 100 fliers into the newspaper box on some mailboxes, got 3 phone calls for mowing, gave up and then says "there's no money in it, it's stupid for you to even try". This was my 2nd year in business and my gross revenue grew about 600% from last year. He now works for an underground directional drilling company, he makes about $18.50/hr and he'll probably max out at $25/hr, he has no degree past high school, keep in mind, in MN that's about 8 months of work, at most! The most he could possibly make is about $40,000/yr.

He and a couple friends (who were at one point my friends and work the same low level jobs, one works retail, the other works for the same construction company and just graduated and has no intentions of going to school nor is he smart enough to do much else) try talking me down for going to school for Hort. & how I started out small with my business (who doesn't? his beliefs are that you must have a fleet of mowers, 20 ft trailer, & skid steer to start out) and all I can do is sit back and laugh because they have nothing to their names except a decent pickup and a girlfriend. He has total resentment for this industry because he failed miserably and I find it hilarious because I'm living his dream basically and it's just the start of my plans.

Granted, I will be selling my existing trailer in the spring/summer & buying an enclosed as well as selling my two WB's and buy a TTHP and then a Walker GHS after I get the first few decent sized installs completed for next year and pay off some CC's & student loans.

5-10 years down the road (planning on purchasing a franchise this year and I will manage it and have employes handle the ops and simultaneously run my business) when I have multiple properties as well as new dirtbikes, 5th wheel toy hauler, brand new diesel, take mult vacay's, spend the winters down south between racing and hanging out at my property down there that I'll be purchasing in the next few years, those morons will still be "clocking in" at 7am and "clocking out" when they leave the jobsite and going home in a worn out vehicle and going home to their crappy, outdated house.

They may [pretending to] be on top of the world, but it'll only take a short amount of time to show the results from the choices of those who chose not to go to college and have no chance of starting a business of their own.
A little arrogant don't you think? Especially when you speak of your success in a future tense? I can see why they are former friends of yours, if you are this condescending behind their back I can imagine how you are when you are in front of them. IMHO you should probably wait until you ARE successful before you say going to college has really benefitted you. In 5-10 years when you sit in an office and have a big house with lots of toys and money give us an update
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post

nothing wrong with dreaming, but some reality would go a long way.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not always about money though. Like I said earlier my siblings and I enjoy working short weeks, getting tons of time off, essentially part time hours with full time benefits and pay. Time to enjoy with my family isn't something you can put a price tag on. Yea my student loans are a thorn in my side but in 5 years it'll be like a massive pay day when daycare bills, student loans, and vehicles are paid off. All with annual pay increases making the pay day even more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
A little arrogant don't you think? Especially when you speak of your success in a future tense? I can see why they are former friends of yours, if you are this condescending behind their back I can imagine how you are when you are in front of them. IMHO you should probably wait until you ARE successful before you say going to college has really benefitted you. In 5-10 years when you sit in an office and have a big house with lots of toys and money give us an update
I haven't spoke to them in almost 3 months, however the things I may say aren't probably half as bad as what they would say. I digress, without a plan to be successful you won't be able to achieve it.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
22 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After the last two and half years at college I've decided to not follow my original dreams since 8 years of college was not going to work out for me as I am already pulling my hair out. I have a perfect comb-over so I can't have that happening to me.

But college was getting in the way of my growth and I was going to college for a science degree. I don't mean any offense to anyone busting their butt to get a business degree, but I could get a business degree with my eyes closed. So I will have no problem following my with anything else I need for my business.

I may change my mind after a year out of school growing my business, if I have someone I can trust to run my business for me.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a powerline tech degree, but work at a corrections facility and run my company's day to day operations. so college is nice to have but not a nessecity.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Phd here.
Posted via Mobile Device