Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Right, but Darryl G pointed out that Stihl actually has run time estimates in minutes in their specs. Yes, it really does seem like the battery capacity is the limitation.

Oh, and the funny thing is that from a homeowner perspective, cordless may actually make less sense. Li-Ion batteries only last 7-10 years, whether you use them or not. All batteries eventually go bad, just on the shelf.
If you wouldn't have used enough gas to equal the up-front cost of the batteries over that much time, gas may actually be cheaper.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They are that type, but there is a charge level indicator with 4 LED's on the bottom, so you should have some warning.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They do make a hip-mounted battery pack holder and a spare battery holder for it. http://www.stihldealer.net/productde...prods-171.aspx
Old 12-04-2012, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl electric handhelds

So 2 cycle oil runs 32.00 a gallon
A retune kit with the air filter, fuel filter and plug 15.00
Gas around me is going for 3.539 a gallon
For sake of an example echo Srm 225 200.00
Total 749.26

The battery trimmer
2 batteries @ 260 each 520
Trimmer. @ 300
Rapid charger @90
Total 910

I think the factor that even I forget is just because the trimmer is in my hand doesn't mean I can count the time moving from one obstacle to another as run time.

I personally believe that this is not the end all be all but an additional tool that could be used. For example if I wanted to start at a complex earlier then 8am I would be able to because the trimmer would make significantly less noise then the gas powered one.

The last question I have it how would you figure a charging cost if you are using your vehicle as the point of power?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe74 View Post
The last question I have it how would you figure a charging cost if you are using your vehicle as the point of power?
Recharging costs are negligible which is why I never mentioned them. As I pointed out above, running a 200 watt charger for 45 minutes only costs 1.8 cents. But... Even if you do use a vehicle to charge the batteries, then the cost per charge should also include the 1.8 cents plus the cost of the inverter divided by the expected lifespan, in hours, of the inverter.

Bear in mind that even though the power for the inverter is coming from the vehicle, that power still must be created by the vehicle and therefore, has a cost.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

>I think the factor that even I forget is just because the trimmer is in my hand doesn't mean I can count the time moving from one obstacle to another as run time.

That was what I was thinking. The run-time may not sound that long, but the question is really how much can you get done with it. Do you really spin the string for an hour in a day, or even more?

>I personally believe that this is not the end all be all but an additional tool that could be used. For example if I wanted to start at a complex earlier then 8am I would be able to because the trimmer would make significantly less noise then the gas powered one.

Interesting. Again, my perspective is skewed as a homeowner, but I personally work weird hours, which leaves me gardening at weird hours.
I bought a BR500 blower knowing that I was sacrificing power, for something that I could regularly use (sometimes after dusk) without annoying my neighbors (or waking the children).
I think professionals might feel that sacrificing power for quiet is a bad tradeoff, but they say that these units are "professional" power, whatever that is worth.

>The last question I have it how would you figure a charging cost if you are using your vehicle as the point of power?

Well, this is a little more difficult. An engine at idle wastes so much energy that a little extra strain on the alternator may not be measurable at all. OTOH, the efficiency of a car/truck engine is MUCH lower than the efficiency of a power company's generator.
I'd venture to say that at a worst case, assuming you don't idle your vehicle more just to charge batteries, the cost of charging in vehicle might be 4-5x the cost of charging from utility power.
My original assumption was you'd have enough batteries and chargers in the shop to have enough batteries ready to grab in the morning and go (so you wouldn't need the quick charger).