Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-04-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At a Crossroad...

I'm at a crossroad in my life. In 2 years I will be graduating high school. I have 2 passions: 1. to be a game warden/K-9 officer, 2. Owning a small construction company. One part of me says join the Marines and serve my country and get my college degree while I'm in, and then strive to be a game warden/Cop. The other I see myself working on my own and digging in the dirt. I'm the kind of guy that no matter what I do I'm going to do it right. It might take me longer than others. If your not going to do it right then whats it worth doing.

I know getting into the business is not should I say a walk in the park. There's going to be complications of course. I just have 2 passions and I want to make the right choice. I dont want to look back 15 years down the road and say I should of done that that or this.

Any advice would be strongly appreciated.

Thanks, Noah
Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Who could afford to be a cop ? lol
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
Who could afford to be a cop ? lol
Ha yep that's one of the set backs to that one cops start here around $30,000-$35,000
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was where you are at. Luckily getting into the Marines didnt fully work out . IMO as I matured and once I was able to see that whole thing for what it was I am really happy that I didn't go that route.

I did the police explorer program as a kid, dabbled with the reserve and also kinda saw out that whole thing a bit. Low pay, really owned by the job, so much politics and to boot alot of stuff you wont unsee in that line of work.

That stuff just wasn't for me. I don't second guess taking the contractor route.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
I was where you are at. Luckily getting into the Marines didnt fully work out . IMO as I matured and once I was able to see that whole thing for what it was I am really happy that I didn't go that route.

I did the police explorer program as a kid, dabbled with the reserve and also kinda saw out that whole thing a bit. Low pay, really owned by the job, so much politics and to boot alot of stuff you wont unsee in that line of work.

That stuff just wasn't for me. I don't second guess taking the contractor route.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I were you I would travel to some foreign countries for at least a year, Europe and or south america, dont be in any rush to get the career going before you see the world... Best education you will ever get
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cops around here make 100k after 5 years and all own businesses on the side. That being said, enlist, have uncle sam pay for your school, and figure it out after
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb195 View Post
I'm at a crossroad in my life. In 2 years I will be graduating high school. I have 2 passions: 1. to be a game warden/K-9 officer, 2. Owning a small construction company. One part of me says join the Marines and serve my country and get my college degree while I'm in, and then strive to be a game warden/Cop. The other I see myself working on my own and digging in the dirt. I'm the kind of guy that no matter what I do I'm going to do it right. It might take me longer than others. If your not going to do it right then whats it worth doing.

I know getting into the business is not should I say a walk in the park. There's going to be complications of course. I just have 2 passions and I want to make the right choice. I dont want to look back 15 years down the road and say I should of done that that or this.

Any advice would be strongly appreciated.

Thanks, Noah
Id join the ROTC and go full bore Marine and stick with it for 25 years and get fulll retirement. Dont overlook the Army, its eaiser to stick with and generally has more opportunities.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Id join the ROTC and go full bore Marine and stick with it for 25 years and get fulll retirement. Dont overlook the Army, its eaiser to stick with and generally has more opportunities.
All you have great points and I really appreciate yall sharing them with me. I have thought about making a career out of the military. Full benefits and a nice check for the rest of my life that doesn't sound too bad.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can serve your country as a cop, game warden, small business owner or marine. The marines, as you know, have a pretty good college tuition gi bill. You will probably need a degree to move up as a cop and probably need a degree to become a game warden. The service as a marine would help you achieve a lot because you will learn discipline. Military service helps get you into civil service and especially law enforcement.
You could even be a seabee and learn a lot about construction, get a degree, and still run a business.

Good luck!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing