Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
gene gls's Avatar
gene gls gene gls is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Granville, Ma. 01034
Posts: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb195 View Post
All you have great points and I really appreciate yall sharing them with me. I have thought about making a career out of the military. Full benefits and a nice check for the rest of my life that doesn't sound too bad.
And 20 years goes by rather fast as you age. Many times I have wished that I had stayed in the Army for the pension at 40+years old. My mistake at the time was, I didn't look far enough down the road to see all the benifits after army life. Good Luck in your disisson.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
noahb195's Avatar
noahb195 noahb195 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Posts: 961
Thanks for the advice everybody.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
badbart badbart is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Cops around here make 100k after 5 years and all own businesses on the side. That being said, enlist, have uncle sam pay for your school, and figure it out after
Posted via Mobile Device

What he said!! I was a cop. It's a very satisfying job. It also works out where you can probably own a business on the side if you like. Many of my friends do. My schedule had me working only 14 days per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
And 20 years goes by rather fast as you age. Many times I have wished that I had stayed in the Army for the pension at 40+years old. My mistake at the time was, I didn't look far enough down the road to see all the benifits after army life. Good Luck in your disisson.
I was also in the Navy for 4 years. At the time another 16 years seemed like forever. Now I see my buddys that stayed in retired, don't have to work....Oh well, live and learn. But the military experience helped me get the cop job! Looks good on a resume!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 10,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
And 20 years goes by rather fast as you age. Many times I have wished that I had stayed in the Army for the pension at 40+years old. My mistake at the time was, I didn't look far enough down the road to see all the benifits after army life. Good Luck in your disisson.
i second this. i got out after 8years. i should have stayed in and switched to heavy equipment operator and built up a side business then retire at 38, and woohoo start my own. o well we learn from our decisions.

i recommend the military to many. it changed my life for the better and me the man,husband, business owner and soon to be father i am now.
__________________

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 AM
ksss's Avatar
ksss ksss is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Posts: 6,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
I was where you are at. Luckily getting into the Marines didnt fully work out . IMO as I matured and once I was able to see that whole thing for what it was I am really happy that I didn't go that route. Best of luck to you.
"Didn't fully work out"? I am sure there is a story here, which ended in failure. Once you "matured"? Really? How about you once you realized you didn't have the intestinal fortitude to wear the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Somehow I bet the Marine Corps is the one that is lucky (and anyone who would have been unfortunate enough to had to have served with your broke dik asss).

I respect anyone's decision to not join the military. I dont respect someone who's personal failure is justified by disparging a military organization with a history as storied as the United States Marine Corps. "Seeing that whole thing for what it was"? What it "was", is what it is. An elite fighting organization that tolerates neither weakness or failure.
__________________
See us at www.kaiserskidsteer.com

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Junior M's Avatar
Junior M Junior M is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,102
no matter what you decide, strive to be the absolute best.

never slack off, That will cost you more in the long run than anything
__________________
Southeastern Services


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 AM
TriCountyLawn's Avatar
TriCountyLawn TriCountyLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
"Didn't fully work out"? I am sure there is a story here, which ended in failure. Once you "matured"? Really? How about you once you realized you didn't have the intestinal fortitude to wear the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Somehow I bet the Marine Corps is the one that is lucky (and anyone who would have been unfortunate enough to had to have served with your broke dik asss).

I respect anyone's decision to not join the military. I dont respect someone who's personal failure is justified by disparging a military organization with a history as storied as the United States Marine Corps. "Seeing that whole thing for what it was"? What it "was", is what it is. An elite fighting organization that tolerates neither weakness or failure.

Wow.....haha I knew this would grab the attention of a jarhead
I would happy to counter your question (if there is one in there) but sounds like you have it and me figured out.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
all ferris's Avatar
all ferris all ferris is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: belleville IL
Posts: 1,252
Ummm....you're a sophomore or junior in HS....what about not worrying about careers and start doing the thing every HS boy should be doing...GIRLS. Chasing tail and having fun should be top on your priority list right now. Here is the best advice I could give any HS boy (and this refers to chicks): Lower your standards and up your average.

You are pretty young to be worried about starting a business or becoming a game warden.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
digginanddumpin digginanddumpin is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1
I was in similar shoes about ten years ago I wanted to work in the dirt but enjoyed Public Service work too. I couldn't find anyone willing to give a 22 year old kid keys to a machine so I went into law enforcement and have been here ten years. I also now own my own small excavating company, which is growing slowly but steadily. I only work 14 days a month in my law enforcement job, and about 10 days a month for myself. My days in the dirt keep me sane enough to deal with the "interesting" people I see the rest of the month.

Good Luck
John
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 PM
noahb195's Avatar
noahb195 noahb195 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by all ferris View Post
Ummm....you're a sophomore or junior in HS....what about not worrying about careers and start doing the thing every HS boy should be doing...GIRLS. Chasing tail and having fun should be top on your priority list right now. Here is the best advice I could give any HS boy (and this refers to chicks): Lower your standards and up your average.

You are pretty young to be worried about starting a business or becoming a game warden.
Hey bo don't worry about that its covered.

And thanks everybody else for the awesome advice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.08075 seconds with 9 queries