Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Prospective client %@% me off!

I show up for an estimate today right on time and I see another contractor is speaking with the client. I have 2 clients to see, one at 11 the other just after. Back patio front walkway etc.. I decide to drive on and I'll check it out a bit later, I go do a few chores and drive by, around 1/2 hour later, still there, one hour later, guy is still there!! Forget it, I'm gone, don't need the hassle.

Get back to the office and I have a call waiting, its the guy who was supposed to meet me at 11. Says "where were you, we had an apointment and you didn't show" !!! . Seems like he thought nothing of it too have two estimaters there at the same time. Unbelievable. What's wrong with people these days? Anyhow I'm meeting him tomorrow and I'll fill him in on proper protocol while I'm there. Worst of this is that he had one of my competitors do some work there this year and its great. I'm hoping 2013 is not going to start like this!

Just had to get it off my shoulders!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't give him the time of day tomorrow. I know your business is levels beyond mine but we all have principles. To me it sounds pretty certain you wont get the job and he just needs your price for the bargaining against the other guys. If you go, GO HIGH. And bring us back stories
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I wouldn't give him the time of day tomorrow. I know your business is levels beyond mine but we all have principles. To me it sounds pretty certain you wont get the job and he just needs your price for the bargaining against the other guys. If you go, GO HIGH. And bring us back stories
Posted via Mobile Device
He asked me how long it would take to do the quote, that he has a sketch already, wtf. Does he think that I'm going to give him a price while I'm there. I'm going to confuse the #$$# out of him tomorrow. He won't know what to think when I'm done
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
I show up for an estimate today right on time and I see another contractor is speaking with the client. I have 2 clients to see, one at 11 the other just after. Back patio front walkway etc.. I decide to drive on and I'll check it out a bit later, I go do a few chores and drive by, around 1/2 hour later, still there, one hour later, guy is still there!! Forget it, I'm gone, don't need the hassle.

Get back to the office and I have a call waiting, its the guy who was supposed to meet me at 11. Says "where were you, we had an apointment and you didn't show" !!! . Seems like he thought nothing of it too have two estimaters there at the same time. Unbelievable. What's wrong with people these days? Anyhow I'm meeting him tomorrow and I'll fill him in on proper protocol while I'm there. Worst of this is that he had one of my competitors do some work there this year and its great. I'm hoping 2013 is not going to start like this!

Just had to get it off my shoulders!
I totally feel your pain. I hate stupid people and have no place for idiots in my business or my life.

My patience has gotten shorter with prospective clients. It's like people have no respect for other people's time.

If it was me - I doubt I would return. Your time was already wasted. Once one's blood boils - everything ended right there.

This past spring I had a guy ask me how long it would take to get the quote when he scheduled the appointment on the phone. Then when I met with him he asked again how long for the quote and wanted it the next day. I said "sir, it's already 6:30 pm, the day is over, you'll have the quote by Friday". 15 hours later he's calling me to see if I have the quote ready. Welp, that took care of that, I wasn't giving him a quote, he can take his prospective job and shove it up his tail.

I had a guy call me a few weeks ago for a patio estimate. Referred to me by a supplier. We're an hr north of DC. The guy says to me "I work in DC and don't get home until 8". Ok, well it normally takes an hr for me to meet with people and go over everything, so I would get out of there at 9. Thats PM. And another 35 - 40 minutes to get home. It could very well have been the job of the century. This guy could be someone who knows everyone on his block and could be a good referral for us to his neighbors. Oh well, life goes on, I have better things to do than chase after work at 8:30 at night.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 12-04-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Usually I would of closed the door on this one already, but since its real close to my shop I'm going to meet him tomorrow. If I see a sketch from any of my competitors I'm going to ask him if he thinks we do this for fun, I'm going to say "how many hours of work do you think this guy has in that plan, not to mention the driving time, wasted fuel etc) Like you Andrew, patience runs thin as I get older, weird thing is though I'm kinda lookin forward to meeting this guy. hahaha
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If I feel like this at 23, I'm curious how I'm going to feel at 40 lol. Do it for the story man!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
If I feel like this at 23, I'm curious how I'm going to feel at 40 lol. Do it for the story man!
Posted via Mobile Device
Its not so bad really, I started doing interlock installs when I was your age and I just turned 51. I have alot of stories to tell but usually I keep them to myself. This time I just wanted to vent, its not all bad.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Your mentality really changes when you have kids. No so much when they're infants or toddlers, but more as they get older and active and you have to drive them places and be there for them and partake in activities with them. You cherish every moment with your kids and when you have a problem client or problem prospective client you think to yourself "screw this, I need to get home".

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kids, nothing. I don't have kids but I realized that if I don't value my time no one else will.

At least you didn't look at the other contractor and say "oh cool, they must have dropped the charges, huh?"
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've had this happen before. They want you to get in a bidding war against the others.

Great Book: "Think and Grow Rich"