Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well I ain't never thought of that, color me stupid I was always afraid I'd rip the stem in half and without the proper tool I'd never get it right so I bought a Valve stem mounting tool aka Valve stem puller aka valve stem installer/remover

They cost $10+ each.
I can tell you thou, it does a flawless job every time.

But you know even if I lost a stem or two you guys have pointed out that it would still be cheaper than running home.
Guess I'll stick a couple in the truck and try the vise grips...

Here's the tool:
http://securestore.mototireusa.com/P...veStem-Premium

Last edited by herler; 12-03-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Slime seems to work well if you don't know where the leak is, otherwise a plug. Seems that I replace both tires about every 700-800 hours. I've noticed better quality lawns by using older tires with less treads, so do whatever you can to make them last. Also, when a new truck is added, we immediately buy an air pump for it and check pressure a few times per day.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Green Slime! It's great stuff! I cut a sidewall on my old Scag....just a knick really, brushed up against my boat trailer. I put the slime in it and it held long enough for me to finish two acres. The Green Slime doesn't cause rust, it's the stuff in the pressurized cans that does that. Someone had used that on my Scag's rear wheels and when I went to change tires I saw all the corrosion and rust. I wire brushed it with a drill and sprayed them with primer. Problem solved.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh...

Well, I did forget...

If the tire is REALLY flat you may have to re-seat the bead.
That might be possible with a can of fix-a-flat, they tend to provide enough pressure to do it, but I'm not always in the mood to dump sticky slime in my tires either... If the tire has come off the rim and then there's a dang busted valve stem, too...

That would be the other reason I ran home, I have a 12v compressor in the truck but it just doesn't quite compare to a 110v 3hp 21 gallon tank one.

Yeah, I probably could have fixed it out in the field.
I'm sure some folks would have.
Not saying I'm perfect.

But there are also those times when one wastes an hour or two trying various methods, yet try after try and nothing works...

That is why I feel that somedays it's just easier to do it the way I KNOW it will work, even if it takes longer, I knew ahead of time about how much time I would be into, ahead of time the process, the cost was clear to me from the gitgo and that says something about running back to base camp as well.

Last edited by herler; 12-04-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I always carry an air tank with me if I have a trailer behind the truck. It has come in handy many times.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

i gave up on slime went to flat free done!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
If you slime a tire (witch i do some times) then evry try to tube the tire be sure to clean all the slime out of the tire. The slime degrades a patched tube. I even use a different type of slime ( pink) that is better sited for tubes. Plugs are good I use then as well. I now have spear tire and rims ready in the shop for a quick change. Then when times get slow it use this Harbor Freight great tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-ti...ger-34552.html
you just might be my hero with that tire changer! small tires are always a pain
Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Oh...

Well, I did forget...

If the tire is REALLY flat you may have to re-seat the bead.
That might be possible with a can of fix-a-flat, they tend to provide enough pressure to do it, but I'm not always in the mood to dump sticky slime in my tires either... If the tire has come off the rim and then there's a dang busted valve stem, too...

That would be the other reason I ran home, I have a 12v compressor in the truck but it just doesn't quite compare to a 110v 3hp 21 gallon tank one.

Yeah, I probably could have fixed it out in the field.
I'm sure some folks would have.
Not saying I'm perfect.

But there are also those times when one wastes an hour or two trying various methods, yet try after try and nothing works...

That is why I feel that somedays it's just easier to do it the way I KNOW it will work, even if it takes longer, I knew ahead of time about how much time I would be into, ahead of time the process, the cost was clear to me from the gitgo and that says something about running back to base camp as well.
its called a can of starting fluid and a lighter, works every time to seat a bead.