Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I still don't have a flat screen tv. When this one goes down, i have another tank in my closet that i can hook up.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Probably the best route is to have options for them. Kind of what I stated above. You could pay for each service and the end of the month or pay a fixed rate with a small discount showing it could be less with the fixed plan. I'd rather have the money at the start of a month rather than at the end. Gives you something to operate with.

Separately, people are comparing this to plumbers, mechanics, doctors, dentists which to me is still apples to oranges. NOT ONE of these above do you use weekly, not one. Yes they provide a service but not a recurring one so absolutely payment is paid on demand. Just like doing a large mulch job or patio installation and even some of those require progress payments if they are large enough. I don't see them as a true maintenance service, they are a repair/install type of service which again is not weekly maintenance item. You PLAN on mowing every week during the growing season or am I just the oddball out thinking that I NEED and/or PLAN to service weekly.
Some valid points, but I do think the analogy is valid, because even though the frequency of service provided by most vendors is considerably less often than the average weekly service involved in lawn care, the principle is still same. I had accounts I didn't service for as long as 6 weeks this year due to the drought. I don't see a problem with offering customers the option of monthly payment options if one wishes, but I think, in most markets, attempting to make this a mandatory way of doing business, would be a tough sell.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess the thing for me is getting people to part with their money sooner vs weeks after service. Even if it was the 15th of the service month. And if you needed to credit them at the end for any skipped weeks. If you're a solo op (I am but would like not to be) operating money may not be as important as the guy who needs to pay employees and other bills a solo op doesn't not have. Solo guy can budget to have "drought money". A large business can't go without payments as you then cannot pay or retain employees. This is the problem with some of these discussions. A solo and and employee business are two completely different business entities and I feel the solo guys provide 95% of the opinions on this board vs the true businesses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The amount of cuts varies season to season. Some times cut can be skipped during a season.

So either you have to be willing to over charge or under charge. Hoping things average out in your favor instead of the customers favor.

I can see it now a customer after years of service fires you and you say to the customer hell no you can't fire me the money has not averaged out to my favor yet.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just to be clear I would only have payments DURING the service season. So 7 months. So even if someone quits you're still paid up. Offer $42 per cut ($1260 total) or $40/cut x 30 cuts / 7 months $171.43 or $1200 total.

Gamble? Yes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think there is some misunderstandings in this thread. We charge monthly here in Florida bc we work all year. So instead of really high bills in the summer, and low bills in the winter, we average it out for the year. A per cut person in Florida will typically not want service in the winter, this making them a terrible customer. You guys only cut for so many months, so it's not out of the norm to bill per cut, but problems can arise with a drought. We don't have droughts here as it typically rains from may-October. I personally would have a problem with paying someone for work they aren't going to do. But, if you sell the customer on doing weeds and or pruning on a week where it doesn't need cutting, that should go over way better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I see two very valid points here,

1st - A company with employees like myself has to be able to make payroll so it makes sense to require 12 montly payments.
2nd - Depending on your area of the country it may or may not work, we pretty much work year round here so we're kinda like the FLA guys, it makes sense for us. When the grass stops growing like it has here, we focus on other area's of the yard, bed and shrub maint, other projects the HO wants done, which actually gets billed at the hourly rate.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
But, if you sell the customer on doing weeds and or pruning on a week where it doesn't need cutting, that should go over way better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Besides my last post this was included in my first post. I honestly thought about this because another member JimLewis, who has a large company in Oregon, does exactly that type of thing. But, his includes fert and weed control with trimming and other maintenance items. Basically up selling of some sort. So I probably should've posted in the landscape maintenance section rather than mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Besides my last post this was included in my first post. I honestly thought about this because another member JimLewis, who has a large company in Oregon, does exactly that type of thing. But, his includes fert and weed control with trimming and other maintenance items. Basically up selling of some sort. So I probably should've posted in the landscape maintenance section rather than mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, he lives in an area that requires year round maintenance. I'm assuming you live in Maryland, but I don't know what your winters are like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope I western new york. Lotta snow

But yea I understand it's easier with the year round "green" maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device