Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

MUCH appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYardPeople View Post
DUDE.. You are killing it. I love the motivation and love the approach that you are using basically saying I am here when you need me.. I am not a fan of door to door because what little time I have at home I like spending it with my lady, but if someone said "Hey I was just in the neighborhood and wanted to drop this off in person" then I would respect that a little more. Love the approach and might use it and adjust for my area. Good work and keep it up
Thanks guys! Made my night!

MyYardPeople, yeah man...take whatever you can from me and critique it to YOUR style!

THIS IS WHY I came to this site. To fellowship with other business people in our trade. I'll LITERALLY GIVE YOU the shirt off my back if it will HELP anyone because that is how I was raised (actually DOING the COMPLETE opposite of my step dad and real dad, what losers).
What COMES AROUND most DEF Goes around.

Oh and Doug, you just might want to try it out as well! You can cover SO MUCH area in less time. The cool thing I like about covering all that area is when people drive by AND walk by you they SEE confidence! They see a guy with a hand full of ads walking door to door. AND you get to smile at those driving by and sometimes wave and simply greet the ones walking by with a nice simple "Hi" or Hello", etc...

Most people WANT TO KNOW what YOU ARE DOING in their neighborhood...if you carry yourself well, greet the ones walking down the sidewalk or street, look at the people in cars driving by and smile or nod your head...that's HALF the sell!

Thanks again guys for the encouragement.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozyHollow View Post

Most people WANT TO KNOW what YOU ARE DOING in their neighborhood...if you carry yourself well, greet the ones walking down the sidewalk or street, look at the people in cars driving by and smile or nod your head...that's HALF the sell!

Thanks again guys for the encouragement.
This is so true. Ive gotten a few folks in the neighborhood that I see and wave and smile. They have stopped when I was by the road and ask to swing by thier place to give a quote. Most of the time its to high for them, but still they know who I am and still wave.

www.4daughterslandscape.com
Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

door to door always had way better results then ads in the paper for me. I don't like it, but i need work. had one call and gave her a price, and 2 of her neighbors are interested as well, after i talked to them. They see I'm not afraid to work
Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started with craigslist, moved on to fliers, and then door hangers. None of that crap helped build my company like walking door to door has. In fact, I am going out again today. Last fall I picked up 35 plowing accounts in about 4 days walking door to door. That led to a plow route that consisted of 2 neighborhoods. 22 in one neighborhood alone.

I have sold door to door for other stuff before. I have sold knives, steaks and vacuums d2d, so if I can sell that garbage, I can really sell service!

I would agree though, that it isn't for everyone. Honestly, if you are a guy missing teeth and scruffy, your results may not be as great. Then again, I could be wrong about that.

If you have good material and can talk to people, go for it. If you have a hard time relating to people, or get nervous easily, then it's probably not for you.

The way I look at it is, they have my money in their pocket; I just have to figure out how to make them willingly give it to me.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in lawn care for four years, and I went door to door today. passed out 100 door hangers and got 2 MAYBES from the people that answered the door. that is good in my book.

and you know what im going to be doing tomorrow and the next day and the day after that and this weekend, even though I get really nervous and Im naturally shy? going door to door and selling, selling, selling until im redfaced from exhaustion.

Even though Im shy and all, I just tell myself, "your confident, Zack, you can do this. if you want to succeed, you gotta do this. you know you do great work, just be confident and let it flow".

This is a great thread. I searched for it and thought i would give it a bump. Door to door sales is the original, time tested, bread and butter of marketing in general. Its extremely conveinent for lawn service companys because you can give them an estimate or quote on the spot if they ask.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i havent read this entire post, but door to door sales is soliciting. You are abruptly interupting a persons life to offer and sell services. Sure its a great way to meet people, but i would first pass out fliers and then if you get a call, go give that person a quote. If you land that job, then knock on neighbors doors offering them a certain incentive by saying " Your neighbor "bob" at 123 Brown Street just signed up for services with us and we are offering discounts for close by neighbors, would you be interested in a quote"

Insured and Licensed
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you Zack. It will pay off for you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

the fact of the matter is that yes you will piss some people off but you will get some new clients as well. I have been doing the same joel and have been having the same success rate. I woud say out of about 70 houses I get one client and about 20 of them act upset when I show up. but lets say you get one client with even just a small yard like 30-40 dollars a visit and he wants every other week service thats an extra 80 dollars in you pocket every month and if you do a ton of houses it will keep working man! its working for me and I am going to keep doing it.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
i havent read this entire post, but door to door sales is soliciting. You are abruptly interupting a persons life to offer and sell services. Sure its a great way to meet people, but i would first pass out fliers and then if you get a call, go give that person a quote. If you land that job, then knock on neighbors doors offering them a certain incentive by saying " Your neighbor "bob" at 123 Brown Street just signed up for services with us and we are offering discounts for close by neighbors, would you be interested in a quote"
I pissed off maybe 20 people last year but I also sold several $2500 jobs doing door to door sales.

Worth it in my book.

Doug
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
This is what gets me. All of the nice upscale communities in my area have a "no soliciting" sign at their entrances. Yet I see people in there all the time going door to door. Im wondering if they have a permit or are they just ignoring the signs....
Posted via Mobile Device