Register free!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

New Rain Bird R-VANs

Don't think I've seen any mention of the new Rain Bird rotary nozzle, the R-VAN.

Haven't seen any in person yet, have you?

http://rainbird.com/landscape/produc...zles/R-VAN.htm

Four Models:
R-VAN1318

• Black Rotary Deflector
• 13’ to 18’ (4,0 to 5,5m) radius
• 45º to 270º arc

R-VAN1724

• Yellow Rotary Deflector
• 17’ to 24’ (5,2 to 7,3m) radius
• 45º to 270º arc
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unless the nozzle has a pressure regulator (which it does not) they are still crap.

PS- You can adjust the MP Rotators by hand.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting, after Nelson in Walla Walla invented the MP, how many companies jumped on the band wagon, with minor changes to avoid patent infringement. I'd still be installing the original, though, what, Hunter owns the patent now?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Unless the nozzle has a pressure regulator (which it does not) they are still crap.

PS- You can adjust the MP Rotators by hand.
I was short on time so to expand on this:

The RB multi stream is greatly effected by small variations in pressure, which causes it to defeat the purpose of a multi stream nozzle. The purpose is to deliver large drops of water in a controlled manner so it will be effected less by wind. A 10 psi difference will cause the nozzle to boat tail, or in low pressure not even pop up. Also multi streams were supposed to be used to deliver water slowly, but the precip rate is high on the RB.

Like I said, JUNK. I have been trying to find a serious competitor to the Hunter MP but it has not come out yet. I would like to see the Toro multi's in action, I cannot speak to those yet.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

points to Rainbird for making the longer-radius version work at a 45 degree arc

let's see if Hunter responds
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe i just have bad memories from the last RB rotary nozzle but just the appearance of the new one fails it. Substitute to the MP? K Rain's new rotary nozzle?

After today maybe I should change my user name mud_boots and use a pic of an elf for my profile pic.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

The RB multi stream is greatly effected by small variations in pressure, which causes it to defeat the purpose of a multi stream nozzle. The purpose is to deliver large drops of water in a controlled manner so it will be effected less by wind. A 10 psi difference will cause the nozzle to boat tail, or in low pressure not even pop up. Also multi streams were supposed to be used to deliver water slowly, but the precip rate is high on the RB.

Like I said, JUNK. I have been trying to find a serious competitor to the Hunter MP but it has not come out yet. I would like to see the Toro multi's in action, I cannot speak to those yet.
I tried some of the Toro rotary nozzles on a small retrofit and had high hopes. They're hard to adjust an its hard to set the left stop since there is one stream that comes around and throws out the side further than the others. Ill stick to mps
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Of course, they recommend using the R-VAN with a PRS-45 body.

But I have seen the RBRs spin ridiculously fast at high pressure. I have the RBRs in my front yard (rectangle, southern exposure) and MP Rotators in the back (shadier, north side of the house).
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The MPRotator is not pressure regulated at the nozzle. If you want pressure regulation then use a PRS body, so I am uncertain as to the relevance of the pressure comments.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
The MPRotator is not pressure regulated at the nozzle. If you want pressure regulation then use a PRS body, so I am uncertain as to the relevance of the pressure comments.
MP rotation speed seems unrelated to pressure. RBRs spin faster at higher pressures, distorting the pattern.