Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

stand on aerator or zrator?

so im torn between the toro 30'' stand on aerator or the zrator attachment for my 34'' stand on mower. pros of zrator are its roughly $2200 and there wouldn't be much maintenance. cons it has about a foot gap between the tines, if you look it up youll see what I mean. toro 30'' pros, it will fit in every backyard and no gap between tines. cons are a lot more maintenance and the unit costs roughly $8000. I may put the zrator on a 48" stand on not sure yet. keep in mind the zrator isn't universal and will only fit on one machine of my choice. whats your guys thoughts or experience.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is something that I'm currently tossing around. I would go with the Stand on 30" mainly because you can get in back gates. I currently use a walk behind and it's getting old tossing that thing around. Having a 30" stand on you can fly in the open areas and also maneuver well in smaller back yards. There are also different walk behinds that pull chariots (similar to a sulky) which you can ride on. Easily half of the 30" stander. Not sure how the plug quality is though.

8K is alot to cough up for a very short/seasonal piece of machinery, but if it enables you to do more work then it's probably worth it.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

that's why iam considering the zrator attachment for my 34'' stand on mower, fits in gates yet flys in the open like you stated and its only like $2200 compared to $8000. only downfall is that if you look at the zrator it has that 1 foot or so gap between the tines which would lead me to believe your going to have to make 2 passes. I guess I don't really see a need to put an aerator on a 48'' stand on mower considering mostly small to medium residentials would want aeration anyway. thanks for the response, let me know what you decide to go with.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

ZRATOR Gap is only 6" or 7 not 12"

I have three zrators today bought my first one about two years ago. It will fit most all of the stand ons that I know of. I have mine on 48" Grandstand and another on a scagg turf tiger, The third on a toro zmaster. I am averaging 38,000 square feet of billable core aeration in about 35 minutes. I also just x my properties to get around the gap between the tines. I can not see having a 8000.00 machine you only use 60 to 90 days a year. I have found the ZRATOR to be quicker than any other method I have used in the past. I demoed a classen stand -on was found it was slow & not good at all on hills. Did a good job pulling plugs. But I need to do small slopes as well as flat areas. You have the power plant all ready use it for more than just cutting grass. This is my opinion and it has worked very well for my business. You have too decide what is best for yours.Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtired View Post
I have three zrators today bought my first one about two years ago. It will fit most all of the stand ons that I know of. I have mine on 48" Grandstand and another on a scagg turf tiger, The third on a toro zmaster. I am averaging 38,000 square feet of billable core aeration in about 35 minutes. I also just x my properties to get around the gap between the tines. I can not see having a 8000.00 machine you only use 60 to 90 days a year. I have found the ZRATOR to be quicker than any other method I have used in the past. I demoed a classen stand -on was found it was slow & not good at all on hills. Did a good job pulling plugs. But I need to do small slopes as well as flat areas. You have the power plant all ready use it for more than just cutting grass. This is my opinion and it has worked very well for my business. You have too decide what is best for yours.Good Luck!
what do you mean x your properties? go at an angle one way and then angles the opposite way? I cant see you getting away with only 1 pass on the lawn but iam prolly wrong. also ive heard people mention the zrator doesn't pull a good plug due to not being enough weight do you see this issue? your defiantly right, why not utilize the machines you already have and less maintenance. thanks for your first hand response.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegantlawns View Post
that's why iam considering the zrator attachment for my 34'' stand on mower, fits in gates yet flys in the open like you stated and its only like $2200 compared to $8000. only downfall is that if you look at the zrator it has that 1 foot or so gap between the tines which would lead me to believe your going to have to make 2 passes. I guess I don't really see a need to put an aerator on a 48'' stand on mower considering mostly small to medium residentials would want aeration anyway. thanks for the response, let me know what you decide to go with.
Check this out http://www.turfcodirect.com/store/Ae...ator-P3C6.aspx. This is what I'm considering for next season.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Check this out http://www.turfcodirect.com/store/Ae...ator-P3C6.aspx. This is what I'm considering for next season.
ya those look really nice, I heard from another lco that owns one that you still cant make a complete zero turn. with the turfco you pretty much have to go in a circle cause it will tear the turf which isn't really that big of a deal. iam starting to lean towards the zrator cause I mean theres really no maintenance and if you already have the mower use it for more than cutting grass. if you don't mind me asking do you see aeration as a great source of revenue, iam fairly new to aeration and am wondering what you net roughly per year.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought mine last year.
used it only two days.
finished a week's worth of work in two days.NO gas,no belts,no maintenance,no sweat or what so ever.Best purchase in my life.excellent plugs.
Attached Images

Echo and stihl handhelds
Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmowingmaster View Post
I bought mine last year.
used it only two days.
finished a week's worth of work in two days.NO gas,no belts,no maintenance,no sweat or what so ever.Best purchase in my life.excellent plugs.

ya this attachment just makes sense to me, why not utilize your mower that you already have and also the fact that there is minimal maintenance. do you charge your customers for 2 passes on the lawn due to the gap between the tines?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

people see the gap and they get afraid of this attachment.its like on your first pass u aerate line 1 and 3.on your return pass u aerate line 2 and 4 and so forth.the mower is so fast u don't even realize it.
Or i go in a circle starting from center out or out to center like swirls.
I finish in less time compared to a walkbehind aerator.
I use a walk behind only for those little islands in middle of parking lots.that is it.
No extra charge.
I don't do lots of aeration just that one week in fall,now down to two days.
Echo and stihl handhelds