Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
nice, since i don't have anything going on unless it snows in from december to feb.28th i would take a winter job for 18hr if they would let me call out when it snowed, so i could keep my 30 or so plowing accounts i have, but i don't need a job for the winter it would make the time go by faster and i could pay off the little debt i have with that money but it, that's a pretty rare scenario.

sounds like you like what you are doing, good luck with everything and stay focused.

A job making that much with plowing flexibility would be hard to find. I never have issues with passing the time. Taking time to relax after class instead of working til dark like I did all this year. Play xbox, catch up on tv shows, otherwise for business, handle all my accounting work that needs to be done, develop sales plans, ops plans, get my advertising in order for the spring, renewal letters written up, the list goes on. I don't have much down time even during winter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
A job making that much with plowing flexibility would be hard to find. I never have issues with passing the time. Taking time to relax after class instead of working til dark like I did all this year. Play xbox, catch up on tv shows, otherwise for business, handle all my accounting work that needs to be done, develop sales plans, ops plans, get my advertising in order for the spring, renewal letters written up, the list goes on. I don't have much down time even during winter.
Posted via Mobile Device
yah i don't have renewal letters, my customers all stay with me, I'm the one to drop them usually and i only did that once because I decided to go to school and didn't think i would have time to do them. i don't play video games, and i don't really watch much tv. I have about 8500 flyers made up sitting in boxes ready to go out in the March. all my advertising is ready to go into print with 3 calls to the 3 local papers i'm in, or i could prepay and leave them in all winter. generally In the winter months or even fall when my friends and I have no work, we meet up in the morning for breakfast, hang out all day, go grab lunch somewhere, maybe go bowling or something, then later go out for dinner, and repeat until spring time, or it snows, and last year we went down to miami in february for 3 weeks with my buddys newly purchased cigarette boat that does 91mph gps verified so if we don't get a lot of snow that will likely be our plan again only part that sucks is it burns 400 dollars of gas per hour, but there was 4 of us on it last winter, but your never going wide open for an hour straight, usually wide open for 10-15 mins, then idling for no wake zones for another 5-10 mins then your at your destination nothing is far away.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The full service clients are renewing their contracts, all others I try to sell them into becoming full service.

I went down to FL last march. A former field's parents have a second place in Naples and we had the place to ourselves (5 of us) for the week. Definitely a blast. Depending on what happens for snow ill be heading south to tx, ok, ga, al for motocross races a couple times this winter. A buddy is racing the pro ams and I just wanna go down to ride and race different tracks than just in MN & WI.

That boat would be pretty cool. My (now former, divorced) uncle is a yacht broker in Ft Lauderdale & a couple yrs ago my grandpa and I with my uncle and his biz partner at the time got to take a sold yacht from osprey, fl (gulf) through the caloosahatchee river & okechobee to west palm (Atlantic). Slept on the yacht in a marina on the island just north of Sanibel, it was a 50ft Sea Ray Sundancer. Two 350 horse cat diesels. Burned 23 gal/hr at cruising speed. That's expensive!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JContracting; 12-06-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The full service clients are renewing their contracts, all others I try to sell them into becoming full service.

I went down to FL last march. A former field's parents have a second place in Naples and we had the place to ourselves (5 of us) for the week. Definitely a blast. Depending on what happens for snow ill be heading south to tx, ok, ga, al for motocross races a couple times this winter. A buddy is racing the pro ams and I just wanna go down to ride and race different tracks than just in MN & WI.

That boat would be pretty cool. My (now former, divorced) uncle is a yacht broker in Ft Lauderdale & a couple yrs ago my grandpa and I with my uncle and his biz partner at the time got to take a sold yacht from osprey, fl (gulf) through the caloosahatchee river & okechobee to west palm (Atlantic). Slept on the yacht in a marina on the island just north of Sanibel, it was a 50ft Sea Ray Sundancer. Two 350 horse cat diesels. Burned 23 gal/hr at cruising speed. That's expensive!
Posted via Mobile Device
yah that sounds like fun, I'm glad i don't own the 38' cigarette boat though my buddy added up the hours he put on it since he bought last january and he spent almost 50,000 in gas just for the boat, and no he's not rich, he just does landscaping and tree work, i guess that would make him successful right? 29 with 100,000 boat paid for in full with no help from anyone. and then buying a 50,000 dollar truck just to tow it in style, then spending another 50k on fuel for the boat, not sure what the truck costs but its a lot too. lol have fun in tx. i'm gonna try to get him to go to one of the poker runs in lake havasu, ar but thats long drive from ct, not that miami was close lol
Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
yah that sounds like fun, I'm glad i don't own the 38' cigarette boat though my buddy added up the hours he put on it since he bought last january and he spent almost 50,000 in gas just for the boat, and no he's not rich, he just does landscaping and tree work, i guess that would make him successful right? 29 with 100,000 boat paid for in full with no help from anyone. and then buying a 50,000 dollar truck just to tow it in style, then spending another 50k on fuel for the boat, not sure what the truck costs but its a lot too. lol have fun in tx. i'm gonna try to get him to go to one of the poker runs in lake havasu, ar but thats long drive from ct, not that miami was close lol
I would say that's successful. Idk if I'd spend that money on a boat, as I prefer 5th wheel toy haulers and dirtbikes. Does he live up by you in CT?
It's a hell of a drive to S FL west or east coast, 28 hrs or so from here.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I would say that's successful. Idk if I'd spend that money on a boat, as I prefer 5th wheel toy haulers and dirtbikes. Does he live up by you in CT?
It's a hell of a drive to S FL west or east coast, 28 hrs or so from here.
yah dirtbikes are fun too, I have 2010 klx110L i bought new in 2010 i upgraded that a little and its a blast to ride around, yah he up here by me. its 1400 miles each way, i wanna say last year it cost him 1200 between gas and tolls to get the boat and truck down there. one of my buddies has toy hauler that he never uses, so not sure i would buy one of those, but dirt bikes are fun too. one of my other buddies has a 40 acre motorcross track at his house, in the woods and a supercross track in side yard....
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pitbikes are fun to mess around on thats for sure.

Does your buddy that has the track race at all? That'd be an awesome set up have at your house.
$1200 for 1400 miles. Ouch. It was about $1250 for us with 1800 miles each way and burned a tank when we were down there, took my parents 01 2500 Suburban w/ 6.0. Got 13-14mpg.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Pitbikes are fun to mess around on thats for sure.

Does your buddy that has the track race at all? That'd be an awesome set up have at your house.
$1200 for 1400 miles. Ouch. It was about $1250 for us with 1800 miles each way and burned a tank when we were down there, took my parents 01 2500 Suburban w/ 6.0. Got 13-14mpg.
Posted via Mobile Device
yah he's been riding since a little kid, he raced nema, and nemx for a little bit, tough to do paying your own way, not having your parents help out at all. and yah the fuel economy was about 8mpg on the way down, towing a 38' boat weighing 15,000 on a triple axle trailer with a 08 f450 crew cab long bed dually is about as big as you can get, lotta of tolls, they saw him coming and raised the prices probably because they knew he would just pay it and go. while down there he bought 24's for his truck and they stick out about 6" on each side of the dually fender so it has about 3" to spare maybe only 2 on each side before it doesn't fit through a toll booth. also the truck has 4.88 gears in it so it was turning about 3000rpm for 2.5hrs which is how often he had to fill up.