Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

#44 today. small good job. all crews booked tomorrow and a few things wednesday, but my guys probaly need to switch gears. we will be tearing down the chain link fence on the north side of our property and joining the front fence we built last year. probably going to the sawmill wednesday. I might take pictures, but it will be identical to the front fence we took pictures of last year and posted.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow Dave...I do not know how you do it! I haven't posted very much this season because we have not been able to focus on new customers. It has been our roughest season yet...personnel problems mainly. We did not do a postcard mailing other than our Open House postcard. As of right now we have added only 16 new customers, but we have been killing ourselves to keep up with everything. We had 2 large municipal projects, record number of add-ons, several people that didn't install last year that decided to install this year...coupled with personnel issues and we've barely kept our head above water. We have many stories to tell !

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Rain forced us to quit early today, but all of our guys needed that. We'll stay busy thru this week, then a couple stragglers next week and we'll be finished.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

#45 today. smallie but goodie. 2 appointments tomorrow. have finally recovered from sickness and the craziness is over. only one crew installing tomorrow and one crew fixing and adding on. everybody else is on fence duty. I got to do something fun tonight after 6:30 and did not get 11 service call messages tonight. just 1.

confessing one of my tricks- when I get a call for service late afternoon that will be the next day, I go out that night and drive by all the places from the shop, to that place, and back. I usually pass 10-20 places, and I never fail to generate another 5 stops. My favorite thing is telling any of those folks that call the next day that we already fixed their bulb or timer. I will tell you that THAT can create an unrealisic expectation that you check their house every night.

stacey and carlos- great to hear from you! sorry you had issues. I had some as well. The jump you are trying to make in the lighting biz is the hardest step. I am already preparing for next years Christmas staff now. for you, You need 2 guys that can be crew foremen next year helping you with takedowns this season. If the folks you have are not crew foremen type guys...you know what you should do. I have some ideas for you, we need another session this February. perhaps the Christmas light business Cruise can finally happen! I will be in the carribbean most of Feb. Call me and see if you guys want to Join me on one of the boats.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Took my last appointment tonite for this years installations schedule, have 1 booked tomorrow for next year installation. Might get a few stragglers from estimates I did the last few days, seems some people are taking a few days to pull the trigger.

guys are working thru Friday, then 1 crew for Saturday if needed. 1 job for Monday and then just servicing accounts.

Cupboards are bare and vendors are light on basics, just not worth it to try to piece any more together. Guys are starting to make silly mistakes with installations and I am too mentally drained to keep up with the sales calls.

Time to deal with collecting money and service issues.

Turned out to be a better year than I expected after a hurricane and early snow storm.

Didnt quite get up to the number of new clients that you hit David, but I was within single digits of you this year, maybe next year I will pass you!! LOL. Best year for retention rate of returning clients in the past 4 years too!! That is always a good sign.

Good luck the rest of the way to all!

Bryan
Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

46 and 47 yesterday, and 1k add on. feels like we are coming to the end. not sure if it is the end, but close or there. that meets our previous high number of new clients for a season. average sale this year though, was higher than in 2010 when we did that. Also sold a lot of Landscape light install stuff over the season that will start next week. will run 1 crew all day today for fixes and one for the installs and add ons. one guy maybe demoing old fence.

looks like we won't really start the fence until next week. maybe do some demo today on old fence for a few hours. put 2 trucks in shop yesterday, one a transmission rebuild and one is a tire replacement. have one more truck scheduled for tranny rebuild as well.

going to schedule 1 guy for fixes tomorrow, have 1 guy on call to help him if I sell an install, and have guys on call but hope we don't need them sunday. unless installs.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know some are hush, hush on sales numbers but for those who don't mind chiming in I'd be interested to know what scale the other players here are on. I'm a small outfit and did about 35K so far this year. At least for me being forth coming with this info has no disadvantages. I think many would be interested to know what scale others are on. I'm sure there are others that could easily add a zero to my sales number. This is my best sales year ever by far.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

closed 48 tonight. smallish, but I will take it. got a couple guys working tomorrow for fixes, so nice for them to generate income and then go do fixes. think I have another one for tomorrow that will close.

I don't typically post what my sales dollars are. you can kinda figure what they are if you sift through my few thousand posts, based on average sale and number of clients.

I will tell you that 48 breaks our old previous record of number of new customers in a season. and our sales are the best ever. and I think I may have a couple more sales days left.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It hit the fan like I figured it would..I have closed about 15 new jobs which puts us at about 30 total so far. I have a couple more appointments today ...but we are booked out till Friday so if we can squeeze in a couple more I will but supplies are becoming very low. Between clean ups, landscapes, a couple last lawn cuts, trying to get a patio in before year end and lights we have been jamming. The guys have been out 7 days a week for a while now but they are happy and in a couple weeks will get a nice break.

Guys have been doing a great job with putting the displays together..barley any service calls ..I did get one last night..a part of a hedge row was out..I check it out..someone cut the wire!..guy said kids have been going around causing havoc..not right...he was pi$$ed..but all in all it's been all good..Cheers..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

49 today. good one. guys putting it up tomorrow. have a large add on for monday and a few fixes. feels like the end. Think we may be done with new sales. I have one lead that may be #50. hoping to close that monday.

although I feel better, I still need a few days rest. Phone has been quiet today with fixes and new leads. gonna push through the next week for landscape lighting stuff, need to film all new jobs and add ons. but I also really want to get shop cleaned up, fence built, and spools and spoolers built for takedowns. sawmill cut the rest of the wood yesterday.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I went from landing five jobs in a row back to tire kickers who where doing nothing more then pondering things at the last second. Had a couple with a two million dollar spread call me late yesterday trying to feel me out on pricing. I tried to get them off the fence but it wasn't worth the effort. They needed an easy 400' of C9's just for the front of the house.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/