Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
Only time i have gotten kickbacks is when the work was nothing to do with what i did. I take care of what is now 200 acres of undeveloped land that gets about 10 houses put on it a year. I got my old high school coach who now owns a construction company the contract to develop the whole development. He gives me 5% of anything he makes in the development for the next 5 years. Not because i asked him to but because its a respect thing. THis development will make him millions over the next couple years that he would have not made without me. On top of that i get all of the dirt work, landscaping, and sod. The sod i will more then likely sub out haven't checked into how much it cost to buy or own the machine to move the big rolls.
see thats how you should do it like you said respect, i would never go out and give people jobs left and right with nothing in return but thats me. hopefullly you both can make alot off that property!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's not a kickback if your earning the money!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Green,

Do you have contracts with your subs specifying payment agreements etc etc.? Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread.
yes, we have a contract for each sub on every job. It specifies a number a things, most importantly that the sub carries workers comp for every representativee his company has/ on the job site, they take full responsibility for every representative they bring out. We use the word "representative" so that even if he sends his wife out to bring him a part and she gets injured, my insurance is not liable. The contract states other things such that we must approve any and all changes in design or materials. Spells out the agreed upon time frame and how delays caused by us, them or other subs will be handled.

Payment structure is also spelled out in the contract. That all depends on the scope of the work and the contractor doing it. Some contractors get paid 100% at completion, some get 50% at delivery of materials and the rest at completion or draws as they continue to do the work. Others get a portion of the pay when they start and then get a percentage every couple weeks until we are paid in full.