Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are at the same crossroads I was at numerous years ago. I chose the cop route. They pay quite well in WA so that's not an issue...but my schedule is less than desirable for other qualities of life I wish I could enjoy. But for now, that's how things roll.

Without boring other people here all I have to say is be very thoughtful in your decision making and DO NOT RUSH decisions. All three choices you have in front of you will serve your community well and all three have their pros and cons.

It's important you think in the future on these major life changing decisions because it'll only keep you adaptable as life throughs some wicked curve balls at ya.

Good luck and always feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopers View Post
You are at the same crossroads I was at numerous years ago. I chose the cop route. They pay quite well in WA so that's not an issue...but my schedule is less than desirable for other qualities of life I wish I could enjoy. But for now, that's how things roll.

Without boring other people here all I have to say is be very thoughtful in your decision making and DO NOT RUSH decisions. All three choices you have in front of you will serve your community well and all three have their pros and cons.

It's important you think in the future on these major life changing decisions because it'll only keep you adaptable as life throughs some wicked curve balls at ya.

Good luck and always feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Thanks man I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to PM you.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say check out at school what programs(or internship) there might be. That way you can 'try' things out and see how you like things without a life altering decision. Also try working at a construction company for a summer, you will get a feel of what it's like.

My biggest tip would be not to limit yourself and look at everything.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I would say check out at school what programs(or internship) there might be. That way you can 'try' things out and see how you like things without a life altering decision. Also try working at a construction company for a summer, you will get a feel of what it's like.

My biggest tip would be not to limit yourself and look at everything.
I would love to work for a construction company over the summer. But like everything else in the south a good portion of construction companies are family operated. Not many people see much "hope" in a 16 year old kid.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb195 View Post
I would love to work for a construction company over the summer. But like everything else in the south a good portion of construction companies are family operated. Not many people see much "hope" in a 16 year old kid.
I know what you mean and it is a shame, that's how I bet many of us got our first experience.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My advice is too broaden your horizon a little and keep looking at different occupations. The construction industry is a terrible industry here in the south.

There are certain fields that gurantee you a job pretty much. Jobs as an LEO , medical fields, military, etc.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

i agree with alldayrj. around here the cops start in the 60k's and are making 100k within 5 years. also true that most have side landscaping/carpentry/etc businesses because of their compacted work schedule. plus, you get public employee benefits and holidays.

take the perks of the public sector and then start a small side business where you can choose the jobs you want and charge the prices you want rather than taking on work just to keep yourself and your employees busy. lets face it, in most areas of the country, the landscape and construction industries are hurting and the government is certainly not pro-business at the moment.

enjoy your youth. travel. relax. dream.

i went to college and had a landscaping company on the side. when i graduated, i stuck with the business because i was making more than i could working for someone else in an office. what you dont realize at the time is that health insurance costs, no retirement package, etc. take a toll on your wallet and your mental health.

i'd find a good paying public sector job with benefits and run a seasonal side business a few hours each night or on weekends if i could go back in time. (in fact, i am working on that time machine at the moment..)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just thought I would update this thread a little bit from last year. I am now a Junior in high school and having a little bit of fun in the process. After a few very long talks with my dad I have made my decision to join the Military(Marines preferably)if they will pick me up. I plan on serving 8-10 years and go reserve afterwards to reap the retirement benefits after 20 years of service. Most likely I will pursue the cop/game warden career path because I am a Law Enforcement major and I feel like I would really enjoy it. After I am out of the Military and I'm all set up with a police department, I plan on starting up a small construction business to keep the cash flowing and to give me something to do on my days off. I'm really looking forward to this endeavor and I really appreciate all the great advice from many of you over the last few years.

Thanks,
Noah
Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck to ya! If you need anything let me know! I am not far away!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Best of luck to ya! If you need anything let me know! I am not far away!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks buddy, If you need any help on the weekends or in the summer just hit me up. Hows the new truck treating you?