Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

john deere 4720

Just landed a good amount of bush hogging work next year through a real estate development company and am still looking to add more but im thinking of getting a deere 4720 cab loader and a bush hog. Anyone who owns one how do you like anything i should know about it. Im buying new whats the biggest cutter you have ran on the back?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat 320D LRR View Post
Just landed a good amount of bush hogging work next year through a real estate development company and am still looking to add more but im thinking of getting a deere 4720 cab loader and a bush hog. Anyone who owns one how do you like anything i should know about it. Im buying new whats the biggest cutter you have ran on the back?
Have you checked out pricing. A cabbed 4730 is running at upwards of 50k for a new unit.

My uncle has a 4720 and he runs a 15' batwing brush hog off the bag and it doesnt bog down at all.

kinda like this(he spend 4k on it though, not 16k)
http://www.usfarmer.com/#/Mowers_-an...g_2815_179186/

He thinks a 4730 is overkill for bush hogging. A 3720 would be a great alternative to save you 10k. 50hp is a ton of hp to run brush hogging attachments.

I guess if you have the money and want a machine that can lift more and have a little bit more cab room, then go with the 4720, but if you want a machine that will get the job done with pleanty of power left over, and save you 10-15k over a new 4720 get a 3720.

Insured and Licensed
Old 12-07-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an open station 4720. most of my mowing is done with a 9' flail mower, it handles it very well. It cuts a couple hundred acres per year. Have had some hydrolic issues with it. Nothing major but frustrating. I would most likely buy another one. The loader picks up 2000 lbs without any problem.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideliner View Post
I have an open station 4720. most of my mowing is done with a 9' flail mower, it handles it very well. It cuts a couple hundred acres per year. Have had some hydrolic issues with it. Nothing major but frustrating. I would most likely buy another one. The loader picks up 2000 lbs without any problem.
how do you like the flail mower i was leaning towards a bushhog i think im going with a cab for now plowing do you have the skid steer quick tach on your loader?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Flail mower has 1 major disadvantage over brushhog mower. Initial purchase cost. They are usually about 2x more expensive. I have a PakFlail by Rears mfg in Eugene Oregon. It was about $9000. It has cut about 2500 acres is ten years old and has had almost no repair costs. Definitely a great mower that I will buy again. Flails are a lot safer to use because the do not throw things like a rotary mower. My brushhog mower has broken several car windows, dented a few fenders and put a rock clear into someones house. Through the siding, sheeting, insulation and sheet rock. I rarely use rotary now for these reasons. The flail also cuts better. I do have skid coupler on front and highly suggest you get one.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideliner View Post
Flail mower has 1 major disadvantage over brushhog mower. Initial purchase cost. They are usually about 2x more expensive. I have a PakFlail by Rears mfg in Eugene Oregon. It was about $9000. It has cut about 2500 acres is ten years old and has had almost no repair costs. Definitely a great mower that I will buy again. Flails are a lot safer to use because the do not throw things like a rotary mower. My brushhog mower has broken several car windows, dented a few fenders and put a rock clear into someones house. Through the siding, sheeting, insulation and sheet rock. I rarely use rotary now for these reasons. The flail also cuts better. I do have skid coupler on front and highly suggest you get one.
thanks for the info do you have any type of snow plow or pusher for yours?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I do not have any formal snow removal equipment. We only get enough snow every couple of years to need dedicated equipment in my area. I would like to have a 10' sectional plow and believe the 4720 would push it.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ahh i was thinking of either running a 10ft pro tech if it will handle it and a 9ft boss plow for it
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

How much mowing do you have lined up in total acres?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I own a 4720 with a cab and loader. Its not going to run a 10' protech without twisting the arms right off. The loader is about use less in my opinion, its a fragile weak pile of crap. And i will be damned if it can lift 2,000 pounds. I have a 2,200 pound pallet of fert in the shop and it couldnt even get the pallet off the ground. Cab is to small also, no room for your legs.

On second thought they are great machines want to buy mine? has low hours? $35,000 fully loaded