Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
it's not giving them away. like I said you come here and try and get $45 for one of my $25 properties. they'd laugh in your face.

you can't force people to pay a certain rate. that's the market in here for a reason. I'm sure if we could raise the market we would have done it already.

my $25 yards are generally done with a push mower and take between 15-30 min start to finish.
No you can't force people to pay a certain rate but if EVERYBODY charged a min $45 then they would have no choice, the other service companies do it why can't we? we're all to fixed on the idea we're not worth it. Most of us are killing ourselves for pennies on the dollar. For $25 I'm there for 10-15 mins, with two ZTR's that would be mo n go only.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 12-08-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
No you can't force people to pay a certain rate but if EVERYBODY charged a min $45 then they would have no choice, the other service companies do it why can't we? we're all to fixed on the idea we're not worth it.
Your last line is very profound. That's exactly how I feel. But truth is, a lot of guys in this biz aren't worth it and don't present themselves as professionals. But I agree with the statement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Your last line is very profound. That's exactly how I feel. But truth is, a lot of guys in this biz aren't worth it and don't present themselves as professionals. But I agree with the statement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly! that's why I want to push for a state licensing test, and force these guys out of business, as many as possible anyway, I know you'll never get rid of all of them but at least some would go away, TOO MUCH COMPETITION is just as bad as not enough.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
No you can't force people to pay a certain rate but if EVERYBODY charged a min $45 then they would have no choice, the other service companies do it why can't we? we're all to fixed on the idea we're not worth it. Most of us are killing ourselves for pennies on the dollar. For $25 I'm there for 10-15 mins, with two ZTR's that would be mo n go only.
well clearly most in my market feel $45 as a min is excessively high for our neck of the woods.

personally I agree. like I said if you gave me an estimate of $45, I'd laugh in your face and tell you to take a hike. even if most others gave me the same price. for $45 I'll either do it myself or let it grow if I couldn't physically do it. or you can always find a neighbor kid to do it for it cheap.

I'd rather have a scrub knock it down for $25 than pay some some LCO almost twice that much just so it looks nice.

I'll never have a min higher than $25. I'd go out of business before I'd do that. $45 is ridiculously high for the yards I charge min no matter what the market is. for $25 they get edged, trimmed, mowed and blown.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Exactly! that's why I want to push for a state licensing test, and force these guys out of business, as many as possible anyway, I know you'll never get rid of all of them but at least some would go away, TOO MUCH COMPETITION is just as bad as not enough.
Yep, exactly what this and every industry needs. More government interference. You should do some research on how a market balances itself when left alone. When there is too much competition and not enough work, it forces out the weak because they can not last through the times of low work. After they get forced out, competition goes away and prices raise. When prices raise there becomes a void, a low price void and that is again filled. It is a cycle that occurs when people don't manipulate the market.

But you go ahead and tell the government you are ok with them coming in and telling you how to run your business and I will continue to fight government intrusion into my life as well as yours.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
well clearly most in my market feel $45 as a min is excessively high for our neck of the woods.

personally I agree. like I said if you gave me an estimate of $45, I'd laugh in your face and tell you to take a hike. even if most others gave me the same price. for $45 I'll either do it myself or let it grow if I couldn't physically do it. or you can always find a neighbor kid to do it for it cheap.

I'd rather have a scrub knock it down for $25 than pay some some LCO almost twice that much just so it looks nice.

I'll never have a min higher than $25. I'd go out of business before I'd do that. $45 is ridiculously high for the yards I charge min no matter what the market is. for $25 they get edged, trimmed, mowed and blown.
Your the kind of customer I avoid at all costs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Your the kind of customer I avoid at all costs.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wonder how any of us are as a customer. If we need a furnace or A/C installed are we choosing the expensive well known company or not? Are we paying full price for our mowers to keep the great small dealer alive or taking huge discounts to support the huge dealer but get a "sweet" deal. Are we gettin parts online to save money rather than support the dealer?

I'm all for pricing high and making money, I try to do it all the time. But I've also noticed people on this board complain about customers who want a low price and quality but then crab about how the dealer won't cut them a deal on a new Exmark or whatever mower of choice...........

Not directed at anyone just a thought.

And yes picking the right customer is important.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by MDLawn; 12-08-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
I wonder how any of us are as a customer. If we need a furnace or A/C installed are we choosing the expensive well known company or not? Are we paying full price for our mowers to keep the great small dealer alive or taking huge discounts to support the huge dealer but get a "sweet" deal. Are we gettin parts online to save money rather than support the dealer?

I'm all for pricing high and making money, I try to do it all the time. But I've also noticed people on this board complain about customers who want a low price and quality but then crab about how the dealer won't cut them a deal on a new Exmark or whatever mower of choice...........

Not directed at anyone just a thought.

And yes picking the right customer is important.
Posted via Mobile Device
Me personally, I don't go to the dealer and ask for deals on equipment. However, I'm not giving the dealer $10 more for a part I can get for $10 less, especially when most dealers around here suck. My mechanic(auto) is $90/hr. which is probably higher than most but he is honest. So, it depends. I will pay more for better service, but I won't pay 100% more for a part just bc the dealer is selling it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I separate goods and services. Services, you get what you pay for. A good for the most part is the same everywhere(comparing the same thing). I have no issues with dealers making money on parts(we do on plants), but I do have a problem with the amount of markup on stuff that is generally cheap to make in the first place. The Toyota dealer wanted 7.50 for a piece of plastic that is the size of a dime. It is the fastener to my rhino liner on the tailgate. The employee was flabbergasted at how expensive they were and told me he felt bad selling them high so he gave em to me for their cost(which was still 2.25/ea.). This is for a dime sized piece of plastic. I don't care who the dealer is, I'm not giving them that kind of money for that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I will pay more for better service
Posted via Mobile Device
This is what I meant. If your dealer gave you incredible service you wouldn't support his parts department?

Also you're taking my point to an extreme with the Toyota dealer. Yes services and goods are different but almost every service sells goods. Anyone knows a car dealers parts department is a rip off.

What I was saying is people on here cry and cry how customers are cheap then become that exact customer when buying a service or goods.
Posted via Mobile Device