Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Advice Needed!

I'm stuck and not sure what to do. Should I take the risk and buy a plow truck for this upcoming winter or not? The truck is going to run me around 5,000 dollars. I have 10 potential customers for snow plowing the driveways from $50 up to $300, will mostly come out around $1,000-$1,500. Also have a potential shopping center that will generate $500-$1000. This is just an estimate. I need to continue to advertise and lock customers in. I live in Delaware Country area of Pennsylvania, were estimated to get around 23" of snow this year. Yes, I know snow removal is bonus money and it is not anyway shape or form guaranteed. My goal is to have the truck paid off with money earned from this season. Just curious to see what you guys think, all advice is welcome!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Attached is the pictures of the truck I am interested in. Also here is the information provided.

"I have a 1989 Ford F-350 single cab 8 foot bed 4X4
It has 154,000 miles on it. Motor was replaced 14,000 miles ago
The truck has central hydraulics on it and has a Boss 8 foot super duty plow with a like new cutting edge and the blade is in great shape
gvwr is 9001 so it is emissions exempt.
Truck has a 460 cubic inch big block "
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The truck won't pay for itself in one season. If you are doing a shopping center you should most likely look into buying a sander as people like to "slip and fall ." 460 is hard on fuel especially plowing, you'll probably be lucky to hit over 5 mpg. If you don't need the truck for the summer time pass on plowing this year, build up some finances and look into it next year. The best advice I learned about plowing, use the best equipment you can afford because no one likes turning wrenches at 3 AM because yor rig broke down.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
The truck won't pay for itself in one season. If you are doing a shopping center you should most likely look into buying a sander as people like to "slip and fall ." 460 is hard on fuel especially plowing, you'll probably be lucky to hit over 5 mpg. If you don't need the truck for the summer time pass on plowing this year, build up some finances and look into it next year. The best advice I learned about plowing, use the best equipment you can afford because no one likes turning wrenches at 3 AM because yor rig broke down.
Thanks a lot. After looking into it more, it's not a smart decisions. Just going to hit the spring time hard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ideally you would use the same truck year-round. That way you are not depending on plowing to justify the expense of a 2nd dedicated plow truck. When I started plowing, I sold my F150 and bought a 2500HD with a plow. So I invested more money, but I was ready to replace the Ford anyway.

And a $5,000, 23 year old truck is not a low risk purchase. I think you may be better off selling your existing truck (assuming that you own one), adding the $5K you were going to spend on the 1989 truck, and get a nice newer truck with plow.

Or...why not buy a 2 or 3 year old plow and put it on your existing truck?

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax