Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
I've also seen people who charge for x amount of cuts and they provide x amount of cuts drought or soaking wet what's your opinion on that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Makes no sense at all. Like I said we provide other services in the place of mowing. We do have per cut contracts that are done no matter what the conditions. If the grass is brown and we don't mow it, we get a call wondering why we didn't mow!? There are a lot of variables no matter what type of billing/contract syle you use and the weather and the customer will always be the biggest two.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea it all goes back to the customer wants and needs surely there are things you would like to change but cannot always do that.. so u make the descion to do it your way and possibly lose customer or do it there way and keep them happy personally id rather have the customer happy unless there just a major PITA
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
Yea it all goes back to the customer wants and needs surely there are things you would like to change but cannot always do that.. so u make the descion to do it your way and possibly lose customer or do it there way and keep them happy personally id rather have the customer happy unless there just a major PITAPosted via Mobile Device
Same here
Old 12-08-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Makes sense, the market always determins price for all of us.
well cpllawncare seems to be suggesting $25 is too low for ANYWHERE. and that I should rally up the LCO's in my neck of the woods and try and raise the market.

the market anywhere is determined by 2 things. what the providers are trying to charge and what the customers are willing to pay. it's not a one sided thing.

just because everyone in town gives you x amount as the price doesn't always mean people will pay it. hence my statement about hiring a scrub or neighbor kid.

I don't care if every last LCO is charging $45 for that lawn. I'll find a cheaper way. that the shared opinion in my neck of the woods. if starting tomorrow every last LCO had a min of $45 there'd be an awful lot of unemployed people. everyone would fire there LCO and hire a scrub or neighbor kid.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree sometime ill take a bit less profit on a home in hopes that
A.I can get side work from them
B.get a good referal
C.get snow from them
D.one just tighten the route up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
well cpllawncare seems to be suggesting $25 is too low for ANYWHERE. and that I should rally up the LCO's in my neck of the woods and try and raise the market.

the market anywhere is determined by 2 things. what the providers are trying to charge and what the customers are willing to pay. it's not a one sided thing.

just because everyone in town gives you x amount as the price doesn't always mean people will pay it. hence my statement about hiring a scrub or neighbor kid.

I don't care if every last LCO is charging $45 for that lawn. I'll find a cheaper way. that the shared opinion in my neck of the woods. if starting tomorrow every last LCO had a min of $45 there'd be an awful lot of unemployed people. everyone would fire there LCO and hire a scrub or neighbor kid.
Given your perspective you should lower your price to $23.99 per lawn and you would be so busy you would surely turn a profit twice as fast then because the market would surely take advantage of that price if that is their main concern.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
About Wal-Mart, isn't that how a business is supposed to operate? Use buying power and controlled overhead to provide a lower cost product to the consumer? Not many people ever complain about pharmacies, large aggregate suppliers, Car manufacturers or other major corps. run by shareholders who use the same tactics.
Unfortunately every piece of electronics I've purchased or received as a gift from that place fails within a year. TV, BluRay, etc.....

When you're big enough to service as many properties as they have customers then fine you can compare yourself to that model. Also good luck using the same employment model of cheap employees and beating the snot out of them with landscape work and paying them pennies. They'll leave for an easier cashier job for the same pay. If you think them or any other similar giant retailer has a great model just look at their employees. Paid pennies, no health coverage, and little to no benefits. Oh yea the owners of said store top the worlds billionaire list each year. I'm glad they put their employees first. Once the shareholder is involved many employees in these places suffer because the only people that matter are the wealthy shareholders who may just top that billionaires list too.

I'm just glad there are a few larger companies on this site that still treat their employees like gold and really make them feel like they matter. As much as we may beat our chests as an owner, if you're not a solo op, your business relies on your employees to get the job done. And even these owners will say its not always pay that matters. It's the other things like benefits and feeling as that they are a true piece of the puzzle.

Phew, rant over.

Thanks for the inputs to the original topic for those that contributed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I never said I would operate the same as Wal-Mart. I don't agree with a lot of their business practices my point was they aren't the only ones. Like you said MDLAWN once shareholders are involved, a lot of what we view as core business principals like good employee relations go out the window no matter who the employer is.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

^^^ totally agree! Gotta know what you have and you are were you are because your employees. The better you treat them the more likely they are to produce better results and take better care of ur equipment/business
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

And you can't doin anything about walmart and big companies if people keep going there just makes them more powerful it sucks just the way of the world cash is king to them
Posted via Mobile Device