Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
And I don't always answer my phone too but say ur out takin the kids somewere or shopping etc people see you blah blah u get to talkin he owns a business and wants u to landscape it....that's your image that helped not goin out of your way or anything especially if ur trucks lettered up or has some signage I think
Posted via Mobile Device
Would you take your kids shopping in a one ton dump because it was lettered? I think you're missing the point that there are times I'm working and times when I'm not. At the gorcery store I'm not working, here is my office phone, give me a call and we'll set something up. Like I said, I chose to run two vehicles because putting wasteful mileage on a work truck made no sense, even if it is lettered.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Idk I see it differently bc I don't drive aton so going. Here and there not a big deal I'm writing my gas off either way, if you do a bit of driving then forsure a second vehicle. Id take the kids shopping in what I had if that be a 1 ton truck lettered or not
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How do you write off the gas if it isn't business related? One of my "second vehicles" cost me $300 and I ran it for over 8 months and junked it for $250. Now could I run my business truck for $50 in eight months?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
How do you write off the gas if it isn't business related? One of my "second vehicles" cost me $300 and I ran it for over 8 months and junked it for $250. Now could I run my business truck for $50 in eight months?
I'm sorry to break this to you, but you are the only one who know's if the gas or diesel you used is work related, there is no way to disprove that it wasn't work related, If you don't want to write off then you don't have to, but there is no way to disprove that it wasn't for work. Its pretty tough for anyone who isn't a first hand account to say you used the gas or diesel for personal use.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

^^ exactly whose say ur not going to look at a job or running errands some work related I just see the other vehicle as extra insurance extra maintenance wasted space when id rather just have a nice truck to use for both now I have 2 trucks I use my dump for work bc that's not a practical daily driver and I use my other truck for eveything else
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We all know that RSK. My point was the extra fuel, wear and tear using a commercial truck for personal use still comes out of your pocket whether it's a write off or not. Why waste money for the sake of trying to portray a professional image 24/7?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
^^ exactly whose say ur not going to look at a job or running errands some work related I just see the other vehicle as extra insurance extra maintenance wasted space when id rather just have a nice truck to use for both now I have 2 trucks I use my dump for work bc that's not a practical daily driver and I use my other truck for eveything else
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought 2 vehicles was a waste of money and you would go shopping in a dump truck? So what is the difference between my scenerio and yours?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I said I would nnot re read I use the dump for work bc it is NOT. a practical daily driver I use my other truck for everything else (my pickup)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly what I said. My 450 wasn't practical to drive so I purchased a cheap pickup for myself. So for both of us a second vehicle was more practical than using a dump for a daily driver.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
We all know that RSK. My point was the extra fuel, wear and tear using a commercial truck for personal use still comes out of your pocket whether it's a write off or not. Why waste money for the sake of trying to portray a professional image 24/7?
good to know that everyone knows that it is still a write off. but what would you say to someone who really love's driving pick up trucks and doesn't like driving cars, they clearly don't care about spending the extra money on the worse fuel economy, or the more expensive wear and tear. not everyone is trying to pinch pennies nor needs to, I'm not saying me personally, even though i do only have my 1 96 ford f350, which is lettered up, and I drive it absolutely everywhere, from march until december i do 1500 miles a month, and I don't leave the state, nor do I even go across the state even. I change the oil every 3000-3500 miles at about 85 dollars each time, my front end also get greased at the same time. I would like a newer, more comfortable truck but its really not at the top of my list because its not going to make me anymore money. Either will having a personal truck or car, and it probably wouldn't save me the enough from getting better fuel economy, to offset the insurance, taxes, registration, and maintenance on that vehicle, that i wouldn't have to pay if I just stuck with one vehicle. so there is nothing wrong with having a personal truck or car, but you probably won't save that much if any money for a long time. example, I drive my f350 everyday, and a lot, its get about 12-13 mpg at best. but spending 10,000 on a nice tdi jetta to drive around after work to try and save 200 a month in diesel and wear and tear is going to take quite some time to pay off because the insurance, and maintenance for that vehicle probably won't be cheap. everything is cheaper then a truck but still you are adding a second cost to try and save money, that's like saying my lawn mower needs a new motor, either I put a new motor in or buy a new one mower, the new mower won't need repairs for a long time, but you aren't saving any money by spending 12500 0n a new machine vs spending the 2500 and putting a new motor in the older mower.