Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Given your perspective you should lower your price to $23.99 per lawn and you would be so busy you would surely turn a profit twice as fast then because the market would surely take advantage of that price if that is their main concern.
THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT! If you guys keep lowering the bar everybody suffers, I hear it from new customers that move here all the time," It didn't cost that much where we came from" My reply " but your not there your here and it cost more here. I've had plenty of people say I'm not paying that much! I say ok call someone else! they do and find out the competition is even higher and call me back and say I'll pay your price. So see it does work if everybody refuses to lower their price. Trust me, you can't compete on price alone, you'll run yourself out of business.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
And you can't doin anything about walmart and big companies if people keep going there just makes them more powerful it sucks just the way of the world cash is king to them
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think it just comes down to what market you want to be in, I don't see verizon or ATT lowering their prices just because the newer low end companies have come into the market, I'll stay with verizon and pay a bit more because I want the quality service they offer unlike their cheapo competitors.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT! If you guys keep lowering the bar everybody suffers, I hear it from new customers that move here all the time," It didn't cost that much where we came from" My reply " but your not there your here and it cost more here. I've had plenty of people say I'm not paying that much! I say ok call someone else! they do and find out the competition is even higher and call me back and say I'll pay your price. So see it does work if everybody refuses to lower their price. Trust me, you can't compete on price alone, you'll run yourself out of business.
I've heard this before. "Well my vacation home in florida only costs $50 per month to mow and you want $50 per cut?"

We can't control what people will pay, I agree with Yardguy. If I say $50, the next guy running a startup will do it for $35. It doesn't matter what your location. If a customer isn't willing to pay your rates and everybody had the same minimum those people would just buy a mower and do it themselves. I do the same as you, here is my price, if they ask why I explain the cost of doing business. If they want cheaper I wish them luck and if anything changes to give me a call.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a mix of the $25, $35, and may $40 lawns here (1/4-1/3 acre) so if someone doesn't like your price they WILL find someone else if they are looking for a price. When and only when they go for a higher price is when the service is bad. I just walk when I get the "price" no rather than try and convince someone. Setting a premium price between all lawn contractors would only eliminate potential customers because it's a luxury service. Many people can't fix a plumbing, electrical, or automotive problem. And they NEED those things fixed. A lot of people can mow a lawn and don't need someone to mulch their landscape or trim bushes.

The other thing is catering to those who can afford your services. If someone wants a price over the phone and doesn't want to meet in person, fine here's my starting price......."click". Just look at the direction residential us taking. Those measuring software programs are taking the human contact out of it. I know they may save time but how can you upsell without an initial meeting? I don't know maybe it's just me but I like that initial contact and the chance to sell services.

There are plenty of business making money and lots of it in this industry. I guarantee they are not cutting lawns for $25. They probably don't even mow lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
We have a mix of the $25, $35, and may $40 lawns here (1/4-1/3 acre) so if someone doesn't like your price they WILL find someone else if they are looking for a price. When and only when they go for a higher price is when the service is bad. I just walk when I get the "price" no rather than try and convince someone. Setting a premium price between all lawn contractors would only eliminate potential customers because it's a luxury service. Many people can't fix a plumbing, electrical, or automotive problem. And they NEED those things fixed. A lot of people can mow a lawn and don't need someone to mulch their landscape or trim bushes.

The other thing is catering to those who can afford your services. If someone wants a price over the phone and doesn't want to meet in person, fine here's my starting price......."click". Just look at the direction residential us taking. Those measuring software programs are taking the human contact out of it. I know they may save time but how can you upsell without an initial meeting? I don't know maybe it's just me but I like that initial contact and the chance to sell services.

There are plenty of business making money and lots of it in this industry. I guarantee they are not cutting lawns for $25. They probably don't even mow lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is exactly why I don't "just cut grass." I don't want to be competing with guys that will do it for $5 less and customers that are only looking at price. Most properties here have a good amount of landscaping and a good amount of people want everything taken care of. A lot of the mow and blow guys here just want to cut grass and if they do take care of the landscaping, they hack through it so people will generally pay more for quality work....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Given your perspective you should lower your price to $23.99 per lawn and you would be so busy you would surely turn a profit twice as fast then because the market would surely take advantage of that price if that is their main concern.
I'm only one person. I also am only willing to work so many hours in a days time and work so many days out of the week.

when I start the season I fill up any holes in my schedule then I'm full until something opens up.

my mind set has never been quantity. as the example goes which is better 5 $10 lawns or 10 $5 lawns.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
I've also seen people who charge for x amount of cuts and they provide x amount of cuts drought or soaking wet what's your opinion on that?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's just wrong, you're saying they go in the yard when it's soaking wet? or charge and don't cut when it's wet? I've seen guys cutting yards in the pouring rain, just wrong imop. I've also gained accounts because they rutted up the yard as a result.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
All true! I don't give prices over the phone either for the same reason. You have to accept the fact that everybody isn't going to buy your services, and that's fine, just like everybody can't afford a million dollar home, well EVERYBODY can't afford a landscaper either, so I wish guys would quit trying to make it so they could. We're in a luxury industry, and have to charge accordingly. Yes , most basically everyone can mow their grass, but can they do it well? Shoot, everybody can drive a car, but everybody isn't good at it, or even wants to. I never got into this thinking I was only going to mow grass, it was just a base from which to grow into other services.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Guys up here do the same thing. I'll be making a parts run and a lawn guy will come in dressed like a lobsterman. They say they don't want to get behind on their accounts. A little rain isn't bad, but when it's pouring outside it's just as productive to be in the shop catching up on maintenance.